1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Johnson Brothers Band-The Beatles White Album@Thursday Night Live-Lexington, KY-8.8.19

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Lindsey Burke, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Lindsey Burke

Lindsey Burke Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lexington, KY
    1-TNL Whitey Poster.
    Lexington's Thursday Night Live has been a long-running weekly event for over 20 years now and I'm proud to say that the Johnson Brothers Band performed at the very first one, and have played at least once per year at TNL ever since. This was our second performance at TNL this year and this August 8th performance was a night for all Beatles material. At this event we performed the Beatles White Album in its entirety, along with some of their major hits, then closed the show out with Side 2 of Abbey Road.

The JBB has proudly been together over 25 years with all the original members and performs one nighters as well as acting as the orchestra for theatrical musical-based productions along with backing notable singers performing in and around Lexington.

The following few pics show TNL's vendors booths, families and the crowd gathered to hear the band. When we play this event the crowd is usually around 3,000 +/- and the vendors are all smiles afterward.
    TNL-Vendors.
    TNL-Misc.
    TNL Crowd.
    TNL Before.
    TNL After.

Here are a few stage shots before we begin playing. There are 2-guitarists, bass, 2-drummers (with one drummer doubling on keys when needed), and keyboards. All 6 of us sing as well.
    TNL Dave drums 1.
    TNL Dave drums 2.JPG
    TNL Bass.
    TNL Marty drums 1.JPG TNL Marty drums 2.

Meet Gator, our faithful and extremely talented sound person.
    TNL Gator.

Here's the full band as we play 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'.
    TNL While My Gtr Gently Weeps.

And another shot as we finish the evening on 'The End' of the 2nd side of Abbey Road.
    TNL Finale.JPG

The TNL celebration doesn't come to a halt when we finish though. Adjacent to the pavilion downtown are fine restaurants, clubs, parks and the mighty Rupp Arena, where our beloved UK basketball Wildcats play. Here's a shot of Short Street behind the pavilion when things are winding down.
    TNL-Night Lights.
    TNL-Night Lights 2.

That's about it for our TNL show. We loved performing this particular material and we all felt like we knocked it out of the park. The sound was fantastic and our monitors were flawless with all parts heard just like we wanted. Hopefully, I can make another event post later this summer.

Peace, out.

Bill

GregC, Tony In Philly, dbase and 13 others like this.
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @Lindsey Burke,

Excellent! This is the kind of event we all love to play. I'm sure it's a joy to work with such a mature and professional ensemble. Playing in a pit orchestra is some of my favorite work too.

Thanks for sharing this gig with us. It looked like a wonderful evening. When is your next shindig?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. Playing a show where the band is tight and the sound is right is one of the best feelings there is. And even better when the audience is into it all. Good work, lads!

Sore Thumb, nixdad and Lindsey Burke like this.
  4. Lindsey Burke

Oct 14, 2002
    Lexington, KY

Hey Cliff,

Thanks a bunch. Our next gig is this Sat, Aug 17. Similar outdoor setting, different side of town, regular material (Allman Bros, Steely Dan, etc).

BTW, your bandmate Arnie and I have played in ensembles together in Nashville at the Little Walter Endorsee Jam in 2017 and 2018. Great guy and great player. We really missed him this year but I saw that you were playing the weekend of July 20. I told Arnie although he's based in CA, he wasn't unknown to me since I regularly see the pics and get the story from every gig he plays via your posts. And he bragged mightily about your playing and vocals, which doesn't surprise me at all. Bravo!

Take care, my friend, and keep order there on the left coast.

Bill Fairchild
    Lexington, KY

McG, G19Tony, Sore Thumb and 2 others like this.
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Bill,

Excellent! Yes, Arnie has mentioned you. He LOVES his Little Walters. I'll tell him you said "Hi". Hit me up on Facebook. Let's keep in touch. :)

By the way, we'll be at The Ranch this weekend. You can hear Arnie and the gang on the live stream Friday and Saturday night. :D

Is this you and Arnie last year? ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  6. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi Bill -
    You guys sound fantastic! Love the musicianship and the harmonies. Please post website info and share any other Beatles covers videos. I found this one on Youtube:

Bravo!
    Chris

7. Lindsey Burke

Oct 14, 2002
    Lexington, KY

Yes sir, that is me. I wish everyone could see the Little Walter bass rig of doom much better. 100-watt tube amp with 2-1x12" & 2-4x8" cabs. Absolutely beautiful sound.

BassCliff and nixdad like this.
  8. Lindsey Burke

Oct 14, 2002
    Lexington, KY
    Hey Chris - Thanks so much. I'll see what I can round up and share.

McG and nixdad like this.
  9. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    That looked like a great gig. I like the two drummers! I also like the Ralph Steadman type font for your name.

Tony In Philly, McG and Lindsey Burke like this.
  10. Lindsey Burke

Oct 14, 2002
    Lexington, KY
    Thanks a lot, Tony. Good eye re the font. The reason we use that is because Ralph actually did it for us. He also did our cd cover art as well as some limited edition prints. Long story but to put it simply, Ralph is friends with a lot of our friends and his agent is in Lexington, KY as well. We definitely lucked out. BTW-I've had several people corner me and read me the riot act for stealing Ralph's work....until I tell them what I explained above. Several also didn't believe me until they saw Ralph's signature on the work. Great conversational tool too.

GregC, Sore Thumb, G19Tony and 2 others like this.
  11. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Really great stuff Bill! I thoroughly enjoyed the clip Chris posted as well as the Little Walter jam.

I was going to mention the Ralph Steadman font style too. Most excellent the man himself did it.

Looking forward to hearing more from you guys. :)

Sore Thumb, Tony In Philly and nixdad like this.
  12. Lindsey Burke

Oct 14, 2002
    Lexington, KY

Hey Grant,

Thank you so much. I just wrote back to Chris that his post, Cliff's and yours makes me want to hop a flight to the left coast for a few days and visit everyone's gigs and maybe even sneak in some ocean time.

Bill

Sore Thumb, nixdad and McG like this.
  13. SWRnut

SWRnut Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    Really nice report, and glad to see you guys still rocking with the same folks for 25 years.

nixdad, McG and Lindsey Burke like this.
  14. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thanks Bill. If you ever make it here we will all show you a real good time. Always room for another Bassmigo :)

Sore Thumb and nixdad like this.
  15. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    That is very cool! :woot: :thumbsup:

nixdad and Lindsey Burke like this.
  16. Lindsey Burke

Oct 14, 2002
    Lexington, KY
    Chris,

Not certain about Beatles videos but I do have photos of us performing the Sgt Peppers album in its entirety on at least two different occasions. And there's a couple of very special twists regarding the last performance that I think everyone will appreciate. Will try to get those pics up tonight or tomorrow. Not sure whether to create a new post or add them here since those shows were about 15 years and several pounds ago.

BassCliff, McG and nixdad like this.
  17. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Bill -
    That would be great! I'd love to see them.
    BTW, don't think twice about the time or pounds thing. We are brothers from another mother.;)

dbase, Lindsey Burke and McG like this.
  18. Where do they have that? I was trying to figure it out from the pictures but I'm not sure enough about Lexington to be able to tell.

The only time I've ever played in Lexington was back in 2016. We played in Triangle Park in front of Rupp Arena for the Kentucky Bar Association's annual convention opening party. A couple hundred drunk lawyers and rock and roll along with 5pm traffic driving by!

BnB

19. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Sweet .. Mesa D800 but..... wheres the food? ;)

20. Lindsey Burke

Oct 14, 2002
    Lexington, KY
    Lawyers drunk? Can't imagine that.
    It's on Cheapside Pavilion which is between Main and Short Streets, next to the old court house. Probably 500-600' from where you played.

bound'n'blocked and nixdad like this.