1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The joy of playing a nitro bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by creis2, Mar 18, 2013.

1. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Nitro basses are kind of rare and expensive by today's standards.

I suffer from G.A.S. like most of you, but it seems to have stopped with my basses. I used to have 15 different basses, all of them being poly painted modern basses.

I picked up a Fender 71' P bass last year and I can't keep my hands off of it.

Argument of just nitro vs. nitro over poly aside, this bass rocks.

I have since sold all of my basses and currently have two 71' P basses and one 62' Reissue. They are all beat, worn down and amazing.

I can understand why people like a shiny new bass. But my three basses have relieved all of my GAS.

As I get older, I'm starting to realize that the less you have of something, the more you enjoy it. I'm enjoying these 3 basses more than I have ever with my previous 15.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like nitro, I like poly. Most of mine have poly finishes because they're cheaper but I do have one with a nitro finish. Not a Fender, though ;) Wherever you find your happiness, it's all good.

3. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I enjoy the way they look. My 71 tells a story, especially since I know the guy who owned it since day one.

I hope my 61RI looks just as cool decades down the road. I can give my kids something to show them their dad was cool at one time.

I've seen pics of your SVT head on TB, that thing has tons of mojo.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I dig nitro. However, a '71 P bass has a poly finish, not nitro. Nitro ended at Fender around '68, IIRC. :cool:

5. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Yeah I've read various things. Whatever it's painted out of, it's sure aging/peeling/checking beautifully.

It's sunburst, it looks very similar to a friend's 61 in terms of wear.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well let's hope that hum it developed is gone when I pick it up this morning ;) Yep, one of the very first SVT's made. Love it. Getting a Heritage too, but my 69 is really special!

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    The poly on my '71 P is worn/peeling/flaking too, but very differently from nitro, IME.

8. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    ..and my nitro 2011 Highway Jazz cost me just $580 brand spank in new! Hardly expensive.
    That said, I hope you continue to enjoy your '71:sly:

9. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I recently sold my flatback, which had a ton of mojo. It was just too heavy for me to transport, and I felt too guilty throwing handles and casters on her. She doesn't deserve such abuse.

10. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I've not experienced worn out basses for I love shinin' brand new ones (infact, nobody disrespects RoadWorn, Nash's and Esp's Ltd/Wilkinson's Vintage bass as much as I everyday do) but yours are truly distressed items at least, so I hear you...

Lovin' shinin' brand new basses I had a luthier made Fender parts Steve Harris West Ham United Precision. Unlike MIJ signature one, mine is out of select alder (so, much lighter) sport 21 fret bird's eye maple neck (1,625") and fingerboard, Seymour Duncan Antiquity split pickup, midflat 45/105 strings (the only thing I had the wrong way: an experiment, nothin' more) hand painted West Ham United historical crest/bindin' stripes, and it's completely nitro finished.

Cheers,
    Wallace

11. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I love ALL basses but my nitro painted 60th Anniversary P is my true love (don't tell the wife!!).

FB8AA657-626D-4F7F-AAA2-D7F07935BF55-33698-00000937120EFC30.

12. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    I never thought about it until now. Looks like I am starting to lean in the direction of 3/2 in favor of nitro. None of the nitro basses are old. But they clearly have something going tonally or they wouldn't be here.

13. I've had many jazz basses (all poly), none of them compare to the tone of my roadworn, she just sings....

Attached Files:

14. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I doubt it has much to do with the finish..:cool:

15. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    I recently bought a 57RI neck, and I can't stop playing it. The body its on has no pickups or electronics or paint. Just a pickguard and a bridge. The rest of my basses have poly finishes. All but one have a gloss finish on the back, as does the 57 neck. My hands tend to stick on the poly, but it seems that the nitro begins to "sweat" after a few minutes of playing and my hands can just glide all over the place. YMMV

16. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Not a fan of nitro at all. Allways has a tacky feel to it and makes thing look more plastic like somehow to me. Ones Ive owned have been gibsons from 70's and 90's.

17. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I love nitro finishes! They actually break down over time, showing the player wear, and they just feel right. Playing a poly encased bass with sweaty hands gets all sticky and uncomfortable, for some reason nitro just doesn't do this for me.

And it's easier to spray than poly ;)

18. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Man! I was going to say the thing I don't dig about nitro is the sticky feeling it gives when you have been sweating and/or its really hot. Either way I feel everything has its place. I dig great sounding, good looking basses. I have no set guidlines. Prefrences change all the time.

19. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I don't have a nirto bass but I do have a nitro Gibson Les Paul. All I can say is lucky you. I love the way nitro looks, but it's WAY too easy to damage. And I like the way the instrument sounds, but my hands stick to the neck like glue! I've discussed this in the guitar forums and there are lots of "folk" solutions, but they don't seem to much work except for the real one which is let it age naturally. It's clearly a personal thing where some people have the sticky problem and some don't. Those of us who have it it drives us nuts. And powder and what have you don't really work well. And cleaning gunk off nitro with something as mild as rubbing alcohol turned out to not be a good idea! Luckily damage was not too serious.

I can dig the history behind nitro, but there are reasons people gave up on it! I love the overall feel of the instrument compared to poly, but there ARE compromises to be made here!