Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Joy of Your First Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doc540, May 14, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah yes, the good days. My first bass was a MIM fender jazz..which i no longer have, but basicaly when i got it i sat in my chair and played a C major scale over and over for the first few days. I could play that thing so fast.......

I never did the jumping on bed + bass thing though.
    EDIT: Is that the short scale SX jazz?

2. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    LOL thats great!

whos the girl in the pics? :p

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My first bass was a no name Korean made bass that was sort of J-Bass copy. This was years before quality Korean instruments. It had a neck like a tree trunk and a permanent warp. I still enjoyed it and the first thing I figured out was "Love to Love You Baby" the old Donna Summer tune. I also had a Univox amp with a volume, tone and a 15" speaker. That amp was actually very, very good.

4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    whoever she is, she must like pop punk :crying:

5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    and i still got my first bass, i'm in the works of getting a new one though....time to move on

6. Cool:)

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    my first was a Harmony P-Bass...all maple. that thing was fun.

8. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    My first Bass was a Sunburst Harmony that had a mechanical string mute that you could click off and on, and two white rocker switches that I still don't know what they did. Played it through a 15" Realistic bass amp that got a great distortion sound ala Mel from Grand Funk Railroad. Brand new, I was on my way......
    Rezdog

9. LOL! Those pics made my day, the good feeling is very contagious! :) :bassist: I got same kind of warm feeling few months ago when I saw two girls lugging a big box with "Fender" on the side in the subway. They couldn´t be older than 13 or 14 years and their faces were just shining with excitement. I was especially taken by their DIY attitude - who needs parents anyway!

Aah the days...my first bass was a red Fender Musicmaster from early 70s, still have the thing. I used to have long jam sessions in my room with a guitarist friend of mine, we played through my crappy stereo. Sounded atrocius of course, but that never stopped us. There was this really nice photo of us; I have to call my Mother and ask if she still has it somewhere.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Awesome pictures. Thanks, doc!

Nothing wrong with pop punk. Looks like she also listens to Thursday... I like that band too. And she thinks dorks are hot, so she is *definitely* mature for her age. :)

11. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    That's the Brittster, my 14 year old stepdaughter and her shortscale Essex Jcopy. She picked it out and paid for it with her own money.

And, yes, she loves music and listens to Yellow Card, Letter Kills, Sugar Cult, The Used, Chevelle, NFG, etc, etc.

I took her to Warped Tour last summer at age 13, and we already have tix to this summer's Warped Tour in Houston.

Hey, the kids are alright! :bassist:

12. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Here's a picture of me with my first bass back in 1967.

[​IMG]

And here's a picture of it today, 37 years later. Yup, I still own it.

I went through a Vox phase back in 67, really wanting a Vox Stinger. But my mom and dad couldn't afford one so this was the next best thing.

[​IMG]

13. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Great story and pics, Thornton!

Ironically, I got my '69 Jbass around 1971 cause a local Beatles copy band was forced by their manager to sell their guitars and buy Vox's!

I still have the Jbass and their Vox's are long gone unlike yours.

Congrats!

14. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Hmm. The first bass I ever "played" was an old black Rickenbacker that belonged to my friend's brother...I used to play it through this ancient Ampeg stack. There were grounding problems and when I touched a mike stand with the bass, the whole thing would go live. Made my hands tingle. Looking back, I'm lucky I didn't wind up toasted...literally! Phew!!!

15. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    It was a 5-string bass of a brand that has ceased to exist. I was so dumb; I tuned it EADGC with BEADG strings and bridge. A few months later I turned it in for a 4 string. Now I want to go back to five!

16. Ah yes, you never forget your first.

A US Fender Bullett, 30" scale, red body, white pickguard, maple fingerboard. It had that new car smell (never gigged a smoky bar with that bass :D ).

It had me hooked, and practicing 1 ot 2 hours per day for the first two years. :)

17. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Ahhh, my first bass was a burgundy read Ibanez EXB404 4-string. Man, I loved the color, the punchy tone from the maple body, the thin neck, exposed pole-piece pickups...Yeah, in high school I pretty much deprived myself of a life just to save up for bass gear, and later on a car. Back then I was making minimum wage working summers at the local library (my parents wouldn't let me work during the school year, because part of the Asian mentality is that "school is your job.") so saving up for all the cool stuff I wanted wasn't easy.

I used to set up the video camera on a tripod in my bedroom and videotape myself playing from different angles. I know that sounds completely dorky and lame, but come on! I'm sure many of you did that too, or contemplated doing that. Doc- those awesome pics reminded me of that.

I eventually traded that up for an Ibanez TRB105 5-string (which I still have).

And Bad Brains- yeah, I'm not a fan of mainstream pop-punk either. But at least ol' girl listens to bands that write their own music and play instruments instead of bubblegum pop like 'NSYNC and Britney Spears. And I will give her credit for the Thrice poster since I like that band. Dustin Kensrue writes really good lyrics, and that puts them a step above most pop-punk as far as I'm concerned.

18. my first bass was a Vantage P-bass, shouldn't have wasted the money on it, tone like mud but I got through my first year of playing with it.

19. first bass was a '91 Korean Squier Precision, plywood body- got it by mail order in 1992.

in the first few months before I got a proper amp I plugged it into a tiny 1 watt per channel Realistic (Radio Shack) hifi amp a friend gave me, cobbling together a lead from a walkman headphone cable and a 1/4in to 3.5mm adaptor.

made a strap out of a leather suitcase tie thing.

very bad luck getting a squier from that period- deadspots all over the neck, frets wore out very quickly, generally dull tone that defied any attempts to slap on it. also it was neck heavy with the light plywood body.

it served its purpose as a gateway into the world of bass, and allowing me to prove to myself I had some ability (I hadn't played an instrument with any proficiency before), but later became a source of much frustration, as I never could get classic raspy P bass tones out of it and that always annoyed and confused me.

I smashed it about 6years ago.
    sometimes I wish I'd started on a decent squier as are available now or in the 80's, or a cheap Yamaha etc. that I could still use today, but hey, you live and learn.