Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the JP Zia sisters

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glen9, Apr 12, 2005.

1. glen9

glen9

Mar 7, 2005
    Some of you might know that JP is currently building a mind blowing 9 string bass. :)
    The bass is headless. It has a beautiful alder body with bird's eye zebrano top and a bird's eye maple neck with a Macassar ebony fingerboard.

But today, we’ve decided that it was a good idea to build another Zia! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

This is a very exciting project! This babe will be headless too. It’ll be a 8 string Fretless hollowbody Zia bass, both Piezo and midi. JP is currently looking for an outstanding top and a matching back. As soon as I have the first pics I’ll post them!!!!

In the meantime, this is the gorgeous 9: :)

JP presents the project

[​IMG]

Body rough cut

[​IMG]

the boby comes to life!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and now the neck...

[​IMG]

and more progress on the neck...

[​IMG]

More pics soon! ;)

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I can only see the 4th picture.. the others are the red cross :'(

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Same here...and I don't see how that's headless unless he is going to saw off that huge piece of wood.

Edit: Can someone explain to me why it's headless when it just has a different shaped headstock? :confused:

4. I can see them fine. Weird.

Nice bass!

5. On the top one, they're simply string retainers...

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'm only getting the second pic.

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Ahhh I see. but doesn't it still have a headstock even though the tuning is done at the bottom? I mean what else do you call it? When I think headless I think literally no headstock of any sort.

8. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    CONGRATS!

9. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I want a six!!! I love headless basses. I'd love to have one with a bendwell like Mark Kings(If Status does'nt have a patent) 20mm string spacing like my LX broadneck. :bassist:

10. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    lol Jared, yeah it's somewhat of and headed, headless bass :D

it does have a small headstock to fit string clamps. It uses headless hardware at the bridge.

Peace,
    JP

11. The bendwell is a very cool option. :)

12. I think it's semantics but I guess in this case I'd say headless means tuners at the bridge.

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Beautifull basses from one of my favorite builders, congratz!

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

How do those bridge tuners work anyway? I've heard good things. I still love that Zia shape. :)

15. glen9

glen9

Mar 7, 2005
    More pics of the 9 string Zia to give you an idea of what it's going to look like once finished!!!! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. OwO

OwO

Apr 23, 2004
    :eek: :eek: Dribbling on my special JPBASSES Waterproof Keyboard :eek: :eek:

17. Sweet!

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Just when i thought i was over my GAS for a JP bass.....it returns with a vengence. Those are beautiful. If they sound even a third as good as they look-they will be truly amazing basses. It doesn't help that zebra wood is one of my favorite woods to look at and from what i've heard it described as-would be a great wood to have for a bass. Excellent progress shots.....now if only i had the money for a 5. :bawl: :bawl: :bassist:

19. glen9

glen9

Mar 7, 2005
    More news about the other Zia : the 8 string fretless.
    Larry from www.galleryhardwoods.com sent those pics...
    And this will be the top and back of the gorgeous babe!:D

More pics to come!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    That is very nice wood there... issit koa? There seems to be lotsa koa topped basses recently. I like it... very much ;)
    The zerbano one is very nice too. It's the nicest one I've seen to date!

JP - you never fail to amaze me with your work!