1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Kelly Rae Band at The Ranch 11/01-02/13

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Nov 4, 2013.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I just wanted to share our fun at The Ranch this past weekend.

This is our new drummer, Mario. He's a good kid who is working hard to gel into the band. It's just a little weird playing with Mario because I have kids older than he is. Heck, I've got amps older than he is. :smug:

KRB-Ranch-110213-001_zps64558aef.

This is our effervescent guitarist, Art. Behind him is the monitor control room. If you think that looks like the Starship Enterprise, you should see the FOH. ;)

KRB-Ranch-110213-002_zps04e3cd11.

Here's Daniel with his electric mando. He just got a new microphone too, and he ain't afraid to use it. :D

KRB-Ranch-110213-003_zpsb295f1c0.

Our keyboardist, Jeff, is taking a little rest just before we start our set.

KRB-Ranch-110213-005_zpsb4397f56.

Kelly always brings her "A" game. This girl can really sing and put on a show.

KRB-Ranch-110213-004_zpsb1ce9e01.

Here's the obligatory view from my mic.

KRB-Ranch-110213-007_zpsb512085c.

I see from the "Do you have a spot?" thread that most of us camp out over the hi-hat. Right on that corner of the drum riser is this light canon. Every once in a while, if I'm not paying attention, I will get a bright yellow laser right in the face. I'm sure Daniel gets his on the other side too.

KRB-Ranch-110213-008_zps646ffd53.

Here's me and some of the boys relaxing in the green room between sets.

KRB-Ranch-110213a-002_zps604f3339.

This is Mark, sound guy extraordinaire, munching down a hot dog between sets.

KRB-Ranch-110213a-004_zpsa20ab3e1.

I think this guy really *IS* the devil who went down to Georgia. :p

KRB-Ranch-110213a-006_zpsbe1d74f3.

Here's Leo in his DJ cage....er, booth.

KRB-Ranch-110213a-008_zps48a194ce.

Here's a few action shots. We had a good crowd this weekend.

KRB-Ranch-110213-006_zps306ac9c0.

KRB-Ranch-110213-009_zps7fa5e772.

KRB-Ranch-110213-010_zps4b791007.

KRB-Ranch-110213a-007_zps9b62d16f.

We'll be back at The Ranch in two weeks (Nov. 15-16).

This coming Friday I picked up a fill-in gig with some friends and their classic rock band, The LCR Band. We'll be playing a sports bar in town. It should be fun. If any of you are in the area and want to stop by Grazies on Friday night, I'll be the guy playing bass. :)

Break a leg everybody! I hope your gigs go well.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You guys have such a professional operation. I'm jealous... Awesome pics!

3. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    Great pics and narrative basscliff...... thanks for sharing!

4. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Nice. I read this in the voice of Bruce Brown from Endless Summer.

5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Love that mandocaster and the Daisy Dukes over cowgirl boots. What a great job.

6. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I have known the owner of The Ranch from his other Business for nearly 30 years. He is a self made man and has always done things "First Class." The Ranch is no exception. You are lucky to have such a nice venue to play. Also you have a cool band. Say hello to Andrew.

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

LOL! Thanks guys, for letting me share my fun.

Yes, Andrew is not your typical "club owner". He is a sharp businessman who knows how to get it done and get it done right. He's the nicest guy you would ever want to know. He even sings the fist song of the night with the band. His performances are hit and miss, but he likes sharing our fun too. Great guy!

We are just a cover band that does the modern country, classic rock, and some pop but we are very fortunate, lucky, blessed, etc, to have such opportunities.

For grins and giggles, here's the FOH view of the stage.

Ranch-080313-002_zpsf7af05ee.

And this is what it looks like when we're on a break.

Ranch-080313-022_zpsf0e76b93.

It really is a fabulous venue.

Hey Mr. Stewie26, please say "Hi" the next time you're in The Ranch and we're playing. It'd be nice to meet you.

BassCliff

8. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

You lucky so & so! That looks like it must be a blast every time you gig there. :bassist:

Rezdog

9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Yes, it is a blast. We are quite fortunate. Plus they feed us from the gourmet restaurant next door. The menu is amazing. :smug:

We are there one weekend a month, sometimes two, like this month. :bassist:

BassCliff

10. calfroper

calfroper

Sep 6, 2008
    trona, calif.
    Thank you for the pictures! You and the Kelly Rae Band are awesome! It's good to see country music alive and well in Southern California! What a venue!

11. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    like how a bass oriented place turned into ....well this.

12. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I'm not sure I understand your post. Here's the deal...

I'm a bass player who plays gigs. This section of the forum is for gig stories. Hence the pictures and descriptions of my gigs.

Do you play any gigs that you'd like to tell us about? I'd like to see your band perform.

BassCliff

13. turbotime

turbotime

Apr 30, 2011
    Basscliff,
    Love these threads of yours.

Haters always gonna hate... :cough: 4dog :cough:

14. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Sounds like someone is jealous. At least Basscliff isn't posting any pictures of his Carvin PA gigs.:bag::D

15. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Hey now!

I do have pictures of my Carvin PA in action. You know what? It gets the job done. Sure, it was a compromise but the band and everyone who's heard it are impressed. I'm actually more pleased than I thought I would be. I'll post some pictures later. :D

Maybe after I score that one big gig I can afford some really good gear. Until then, my Carvin rig works great. ;)

BassCliff

16. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

As promised, I've got a few pictures for Mr. modulusman. This really is a good sounding PA rig. A couple of guys in my band have toured with national acts and been overseas. They had nothing but good things to say about it. For this particular gig we ran vocals, backing tracks, my bass direct, and house music on a CD player for a guest dance troupe. Everyone was pleased. ;)

BAckRoad-091513-001_zps39e685f0.

BAckRoad-091513-002_zps089673b0.

BAckRoad-091513-003_zps65148c88.

BAckRoad-091513-004_zps6a2b7e9e.

BAckRoad-091513-008_zps21d869f8.

Those are Fender 12" 2-way floor wedges that I've owned for years. For a $1000 system, it performs superbly for the situations intended AND all my gear fits in my van with only the back seat removed. :D

It's not perfection but it's not bad, very transportable, easy to set up and run, it's plenty loud, and sounds pretty dang good.

Plus it was all Made in America. flag.

Note: I did recently purchase a GK Neo 410 to go with my 800RB. It will also fit in the van with my PA. ;)

BassCliff

17. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana

18. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Hey, is that my Alma Mater, Cal State Fullerton?

19. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Indeed, it was. Nice campus. Come on out to one of our gigs sometime. It would be a pleasure to meet you, Mr. elgecko. The band's website is in my sig. Did you happen to attend the last Bass Hang at Jim's Music?

Mr. modulusman, I did offer a kick drum mic to our drummer. But it was a small outdoor affair and he turned it down. He's one of those drummers who has no problem being heard. ;)

BassCliff

20. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    So he is a typical loud, obnoxious drummer and you gave him an option to be even more loud and obnoxious and he turned it down.:confused: Yeah like that happens in real life.:D