the KEY to SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Hi. I've owned a Groove Tubes preamp for about 4 months. . . I forget the model name, but it's actually the front end of an SWR SM-series amp, without the power section.

Anyway, some of my basses (those with hotter pickups/preamp) have always sounded great going thru this unit into a Carvin 600-watt power amp and a Bag End S15D. However, a couple of my basses sounded muddy and lifeless. Last night, I decided to play around with tweaking the knobs on the preamp. What I found was that each of my basses sounded INCREDIBLE if I just cranked the GAIN knob to the point of clipping, and then backed off just a hair. Apparently, as long as I was giving the preamp tubes as much gain as they could tolerate, they responded by generating tons of warmth and clarity.

Anyone else find this with their SWR SM-series gear?

BTW, I know I'm dumb for not having noticed this sooner. . . .
  2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    bassicly....... yeah pretty much turn that baby up, little bass boost and let er rip.
  3. If you open that thing up you'll find not much more than about a dozen little op-amps all lined up in a row. Wat you are hearing is more likley to be an IC distorting. When I first got into playing I thought that preamp *had* to be the one for me and struggled with it's dull, anemic and ultimately lifeless tone for years. I found out later that the design is set up so as to utilize only half the tube. It is basically a SS preamp. Compare that thing to some other popular preamps and you may realize what a dog it truly is. At least...that was my experiance.