1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Kids-wearing-logos-of-bands-they-don't-know thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Scottgun, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    At work today where I'm an old guy working with young people, I see a girl wearing a Nirvana hat. It's the one with the crooked smiley face on the front and Nirvana on the back. One of my other older coworkers tells her her jokingly that he'd like to snatch that hat off her head as a collector's item. She says, "Why? What is it?"

"Don't you know? It's a Nirvana hat."

"What's that?"

"What?! It's on the back of your hat! You don't know Nirvana!? Kurt Cobain?"

At that point we felt like Dewey Finn in School of Rock

So what's your tale when you discovered you were a dinosaur fossil?

LiquidMidnight and S-Bigbottom like this.
  2. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Makes me think of all these non-skater kids walking around with Thrasher hoodies (these kids have probably never read a magazine in their lives).

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    It's fine. The Ramones! I love the Ramones! Gabba gabba hey!

Wha?

Gabba gabba hey!

Hey, why do you keep saying that?

Gabba gabba we accept you, we accept you, one of us?

Hey, you're scaring me, man.

No worries. That's my job. Scaring kids.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i would not have known that the "hat" referenced in the OP was worth anything either. i'm coming at this from the other side: i'm so old that for me, nirvana was just a forgettable 'blip' in the long, cluttered history of music since the invention of the phonograph/radio. :laugh:

5. With stuff like this these days I have found it's a fad and "cool thing" most times...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Mr_Moo and Scottgun like this.
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I was out one night when GNR was the it band.
    There was a young kid playing Welcome To The Jungle wvery five minutes or so on the jukebox. After what felt like the 500th time i asked the kid if he got a discount on his T shirt. He looked at the shirt, looked at me, back at the shirt, back at me, then finally said, no he didn’t get a discount on his GNR shirt. I asked if he was sure because it was obviously defective. He did the shirt me shirt me a few morw times, then asked me what i was talking about. I told him if he paid full price he gotvripped because the band name was wrong. Again wuth the ahirt me, then that confused “whut the heel you talkin bout?”
    I told him the name was not complete, and by now he’s gaping like a fish out of water as he tries to figure out what’s going on.
    I told him the name of the band is Guns And Roses Dude. It took him a minute to figure it out and when he did him and his fanboi crew took their GNR shirts and left.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I don't understand this story.

8. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It's the ultimate passive-aggressive cultural middle finger gesture between generations. "Oh, this thing [that I know has a lot of sentimental meaning to you]? I dunno. It was just laying around. I liked the design. Who? Whatever." Modern-day rock and roll, if you like.

9. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Methinks you give them too much credit.

I’m more inclined to believe they wear that stuff because it’s the coolest thing from Spencer’s or Hot Topic.

Eric Perry, Mr_Moo, Leo Smith and 2 others like this.
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I guess you had to be there, but it was just me having a belly full of fanbois running around saying Guns And Roses Dude every time they opened their mouth.
    Don’t get me wrong, I once was a dude among dudes, then i turned ten.

Munjibunga and Mr_Moo like this.
  11. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Have you observed the phenomenon the OP is talking about in person?

12. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Haven't been in either of those stores in ???. I seem to recall getting an Army of Darkness tee for a friend there, so I guess it makes sense that if they sell retro movies, they sell retro bands. I thought they were just getting them from parents who can't throw anything away.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Those are popular around this area too. In particular I see lots of young Asian girls wearing them. Dressed very nicely with a well arranged appearance, then this Thrasher hoodie or even beanie sometimes.
    I was thinking maybe the logo or term has some other kind of meaning in their pop culture right now.
    Or, sort of like this thread Ok America..., maybe they feel like this is their entrance into American culture and it's 'cool'.

-Mike

14. My 16 y.o. son came home with an Incubus t-shirt the other day.

Stirred some good conversation and memories <c:

MJ5150 likes this.
  15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    That actually explained it for me. Sometimes I am a little slow.

fhm555 likes this.
  16. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I have.
    The kid couldn't name a single Zepplin song. Was a tad young to be considered a hipster imho. Right around 20 or so.

Music & Band T Shirts - Spencer's

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It's weird to me since when I was in that age group, I made sure I only wore apparel from bands I knew about and liked.
    I took it to the level of only wearing shirts from concerts I actually went to. I remember once a buddy got me a Bryan Adams shirt from a concert he went to. I said thanks, but no thanks since I wasn't there. I can totally remember it too. It was a shirt from the Reckless tour. The front of the shirt had the album cover.
    With regard to the Thrasher stuff, I wasn't a skater back then (or ever) so it didn't make sense to me to wear the apparel. It's a cool logo though.
    Same deal when Local Motion and brands like Redsand got popular. Surfing wasn't my thing, neither was beach volleyball or the California beach bum vibe, so I never wore those brands of clothes.

-Mike

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  18. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    15 is the new 20.

19. You ever see a person with a misfits shirt that listens to the misfits? Me neither :p

20. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I wish my roommate, (also named Mike, but a different Mike,) had that rule. He never once saw The Who in concert, but basically stole my T-shirt. He wouldn't try that @%$& today...