The Killer Little Gig Rig (EA CXL110, IAmp350 review)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jive1, Dec 10, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Just wanted to share some info, and give back to TB for all the great amp advice I got here, as well as brag a little.

From my mighty modular rig, I have extracted a couple of pieces to create the ultimate little gig rig. This rig consists of 2 EA CXL110s and is powered by an EA IAmp 350. I've used this rig at my last 4 gigs, and the thing is SWEET! A great rig for smaller venues, and some mid sized ones.

In short, this rig has killer sound. The low and upper mids are very pronounced, and project well. This thing has bark, bite and growl. There's enough bottom, but no "thud". It doesn't get as low as my GS112s, but the lows are very tight none-the-less. No floppy low end here. If you are looking for that 30-40Hz dub or subwoofer sound, look elsewhere. This thing is best at 50Hz and up. The highs are ultra smooth. The CXL cabs have the smoothest sounding tweeter I have ever heard. Not very much hiss.
    Like the GS112s, the CXLs sound better in pairs. One cab really won't cut it unless you don't need much lows or volume. But two, watch out. Plenty of punch, and plenty of bass. A pair makes for a more full range speaker setup than one. These things really take to an EQ well. I have used these cabs with my IAmp350, and Eden WT400. The cabs bring out the qualities of each head. With the WT400, the cabs reminded me of the classic Eden 210 sound, especially if a dialed in a low mid hump.
    The Iamp 350 is a great head. The EQ section makes for easy adjustments and versatility of tone. The preset tone shapes are useful, but be careful with the "deep" setting. It can cause speakers to fart. Boost at 50Hz and 80Hz, a little cut around 1KHz, and slight boost at 4KHz for a little bite resulted in a sound I really dug. But even using the amp at flat resulted in a great tone. The amp is surprisingly warm for a solid state amp, yet sounds crisp. The amp has some really neat features going for it. The speaker defeat is a practical feature for most gigging bassists. I am surprised that many "pro" amps don't have this. This is great for when you want to tune in silence, are changing instruments, or etc.. The DI on this amp sounds great. I love the sound of my Sansamp BDDI, I don't really need it with this amp. The DI on this thing is that good. It has a nice clean sound that really works well with the PA. The DI has it's own level control and defeat switch. The amp also has an FX loop, headphone out, 1/8" stereo input, and a tuner out. In short, it's a great sounding amp with nice practical features. I only wish it had speakon connectors.

The rig is loud. I played in small venues with the gain and master around 4, and had plenty of volume. In a larger venue, I cranked to about 6 on the master, and it was plenty loud enough. Even without PA support, this rig can fill a room, but not a hall or outdoor stage without PA support.

The rig is also lightweight and easy to carry. The total weight of the rig is about 85lbs. The amp comes with a carrying bag which allows you to lug it on your shoulder. Each cab can easily be lifted with one hand. One cab in each hand + amp slung on your shoulder=load-in/load-out in one trip.

All in all, it is a really practical rig with great sound.
  2. Good to hear that you like it. I myself really like the EA gear.

3. arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Nice review. I have the iAMP350 and CxL-112L. Based on your review, it looks like if I ever get a second CxL-112L I'll be set for life.