Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the knobs on my bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by damageddanish, Nov 14, 2002.

1. damageddanish

damageddanish

Sep 30, 2002
    hey. i don't know if this is a stupid question or not. so i recently bought my second bass, i've been playing for about 4 years. i don't know any theory really or anything about the instrument except that i play tabs and i play them well, although alot of the stuff i play isn't that complicated. anyways, i'm off on a tangent.

my new bass has 3 knobs, my old one did as well, and i was wondering exactly waht they do. and if there is a standard this does this. or anything. there are 2 pick ups on the bass. the guy at the store explained it but i didn't really catch on. is the first one. (the one on hte right if you are looking towards the bass in front of you) volume, then the pickup closest to the neck, and then the other pick up. is it possible to know what pick up is waht. what do i do for different sounds. do i just have to screw around with it?

sry this was so long, any help at all is appreciated.

2. What kind of bass is it? There are a lot of 3 knob combinations.

3. your bass, from top to bottom is volume (for the neck pickup), volume (for the bridge pickup) and tone. Pretty much the standard jazz bass setup. Enjoy it.

4. You should also fill in your profile ;)

5. damageddanish

damageddanish

Sep 30, 2002
    just to make sure.... hwat does top to bottom mean. from what perspective. thanks alot manco...

6. It means, if your playing the bass (and I'm assuming you're right-handed)...looking down, from left to right is volume, volume, tone. So, by top I meant closest to the headstock.