The Korean BBQ Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jive1, Feb 16, 2006.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Well Leo (Lamarjonz) got me to thinkin bout Korean BBQ in the Sushi thread yesterday, so I wanted to see if there is anyone else that digs Korean BBQ.

I've been kinda layin off lately since my cholesterol has been pretty high. Prolly because I love this stuff so much. Lately, I've really been diggin Cha Dol Bae Gi - thinly sliced pieces of corned beef grilled at your table. Mmmmmmmm.......I like all kinds though. Gal Bi is an old standby that is like chicken soup to me - comfort food. Nowadays, I'm trying to go with more traditional Korean foods to watch the weight and health.

So anyway, who else digs the Korean BBQ?
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I like the teriyaki chicken when it's really spicy.

I was in Hawaii with my family last summer, and we found this Korean BBQ place. We ate there every night.

My yia yia (being a yia yia) went up to the lady that owned the place and asked for the recipe.:rolleyes:
  4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I like the chicken katsu from our local joint. Not really sure if it's Korean or Japanese though :oops:
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, whenever I can. :bassist:
  6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I also indulge in some char su pork or kimchee every once in a while.
  7. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    That's Japanese, though. I've never had any Korean food, ever, probably because I live in a semi-rural area where you can't even get Japanese food. I'd really like to try at least some Kim'chi though.
    Are there any popular Korean dishes that aren't meat? Me no eat meat.

Chicken katsu also sounds Japanese, by the way.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It's all the same. :p

The lady who does my drycleaning is Korean. She always has this weird smell about her. I think it's the food she eats. It looks scary in the jar too. I'll pass.

9. Chicken katsu is Japanese. The "katsu" part means deep fried and breaded.

Have you tried a meatless version of:

It's delicious!
  10. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    I could eat it every day for every meal!
    (with kimchee)

And bi bim bap with bulgoki!
    FAN- FRIGGIN -tastic!
  11. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    ppl just grouping things when they're totally different...

it's like hearing, "wow, mexican made bass, american made bass.. it's all the same thing"

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well, it still is a Fender no matter where it came from. Right? :D

13. This was NOT the right thread for me to see. Being half-Korean, when I do have Korean food, it's almost always Korean barbeque. I love cha-dol-bae-gee - it's probably my family's favorite - though we love galbi and bulgogi. I miss kimchi, too. Next weekend, I'm going home for my birthday. I *must* have them take me out for Korean food.

I also miss the Korean food I had in Seoul. Oh man, that was incredible. Ten days of the best Korean food I've ever had. I don't think I've ever had so much garlic before, though. I *love* garlic, don't get me wrong, but one night we went to a galbi restaurant and I probably had upwards of a full head of garlic. Needless to say, I *reeked*.

I also love yuk-gae-jang and sam-gae-tang (soups). There are so many other Korean foods I love, it's just been a while, sadly. :crying: I miss Korean food.
  14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    There's a Korean restaurant here that can serve up a mean BBQ. Yes it is also cooked right there at the table. I like how they give us all sorts of side dishes.
  15. Dude: bulgogi, marinated spicy pork, seafood stew, all the kimchi and fermented bean paste to boot? YES, YES, YES! I love Korean food so much I'm buying a in table grill this summer, converting it to propane and dropping it in to a table for the fall! Already got a cookbook and trying out marinades. HA!
  16. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    My wife of 25 years is Korean... well, she's one of US now...

I make kal-bi ribs better than she ever has... but her cucumber kimchi is to die for... She also makes homemade kochujon sauce... and, as of this post, her mother is visiting us... has been since Christmas... our refrigerator is stuffed full of food of which I'm honestly not to aware...:confused: ...

...I don't mind too much, but I have a hard time finding my beer... :(
  17. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I've spent the better part of the last year and a half or so in Korea. I've had all kinds of Korean food, and it is awesome. What I really like are the places that use charcoal instead of gas for the tabletop grill - gives it a nice smoky flavor.

About the only thing I didn't like were the live squid tails. Yes, I mean live. They hacked them off a live squid, and then brought them squirming to the table along with peppers. I tried it, but it tasted like salty snot to me in flavor and consistency.

Seoul is the place to go for Korean food. Jungro, Kangnam, etc. all have great places to eat, and I just love the sharing of food and drink in a communal setting. Soju is an acquired taste for some, but if I've discovered anything, it's that many Koreans (particularly Korean men) love the Bomb. And no, I don't mean nukes! I mean a Bomb type drink in which a shotglass of soju is placed in glass of beer, and one drinks it all at the same time. A few of those and your newly found Korean friends are your bestest buds.

It is great stuff. If you haven't tried Korean food, do so. You won't be sorry.

18. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Everything you said is absolutely spot-on! As one might imagine, here in Honolulu we have a plethora of Korean restaurants, and most use propane for 'yakiniku-style' cooking. There are barely a handful that will bring blazing-hot charcoal to the table... and that is where you hit the nail right smack-dab on the head! As with any thing barbequed, charcoal... especially charcoal from mesquite, or kiawi wood... far exceeds in flavor over propane. My wife and I have one Korean restaurant in particular that we frequent... and, of course, they bring out the charcoal.

We make it a point to visit her side of the family every-other-year. Seoul is a fabulously vibrant city... way too polluted now, but I understand the people are starting to get pissed-off about that, so hopefully changes are in the air (no pun intended...)... :smug:

BTW... I like 'dem live squid tails... especially the feeling of 'em squiggling all the way down your esophagus :D :D :D
  19. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just had some sam-gyup-sal on the ol' table cooker a few nights ago w/ the housedoods and accompanying GF's.

and sheesh, my midsection has yet to be the same... :D

man, this is making me wanna start a thread on argentine BBQ. :bassist:
  20. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

didnt go to Pusan or Che-judo, didya? ;)