The Korg Pandora PX4B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vidvandre, May 17, 2004.

1. Vidvandre

Jan 10, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I am planning to buy a Pandora PX4B.
    Have any of you tried it? It would be nice to hear some other words than those from Korg..

2. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Do a forum search and you'll find some stuff on it.

It works well, probably better than most multi-fx widgets, though there still are some real flaws.

1: No footswitch jack, dammit. This means you need to do some jiggery-pokery with effects loops and additional switches. I just got a Boss FS-2 and put the Pandora in the loop, and it works very well...but it means you need to buy more stuff. Also, note that setting up a loop that mixes the effected sound and a straight signal sounds a lot better than running everything through the box...more subtle.

2: Lousy battery life, combined with a switch that's REALLY easy to turn on by accident (and the input jack doesn't bypass it, either). And it uses AAAs, not 9 volts like everything else. Don't mess with batteries...just go get an AC adapter and use it.

3: Inability to delete the useless programs. Like most of these things, only three or four of the presets actually are useful. I'd rather just chuck the rest so I don't have to scroll through all of them to find what I need. But you can't.

4: Like most such devices, there is a learning curve to deal with, but it's not all that bad compared to some. There are certain things that aren't necessarily intuitive... For example, this is an amp modeler and a multi-effects unit rolled into one box, and the two functions appear to be separate. But they're not, really...the thing is, every single one of the effects presets includes an amp model setting. In other words, the "Overdrive" setting isn't just an overdrive. It's an overdrive PLUS one of the several amp models. The same goes for all of the other settings; not a single one of them is the effect or effects alone. Often, manually selecting a different amp model (using the dial on the front, thereby overriding the model in the preset) produces much better sound. This is not obvious from the documentation.

There are probably some other things I'm not remembering right now. Do your search here and on the other effects websites and you'll find mroe stuff.
  3. Vidvandre

Jan 10, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    OK, thanks..
    I think i will get, it is the only thing i can affrod that seemes quite decent.. the drum bets tempt me the most though.. need something to jam to.
  4. Hi Vidvandre,

I have one (had it for over a year). If you want one to practice then it's a good tool and the rythm are actually pretty cool. BUT they are VERY noisy so don't think you'll be ok recording with one. I've got 2 basses (BTB 400QM & ATK-300F) and both are noisy through the PX-4B, altough virtually silent in a Pod....

Again awesome practice tool .... recording NEVER!
  5. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I have a PX4B. For practice its a great tool :)

Recording :spit:
  6. joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    My two biggest complaints: It's noisy and it can't get loud enough in the headphones.
  7. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I found a posting I made to the Korg Yahoo chat group about the PX4B, which has a few things in it I forgot to mention earlier.

Here it is...

PX5B Wish List, should they ever make a PX5B

- A BYPASS FOOT SWITCH, DAMMIT!!! Do these guys actually play instruments????
    - The ability to lock out unused presets so you just scroll through the few that you actually use instead of slogging through the 97 you don't
    - Eliminate the POP when the unit turns on
    - Default to a pass-through state if the batteries die instead of plunging the hapless player into silence (DUH!)
    - Get a power switch that doesn't turn on so easily (I keep on draining
    batteries by accident)
    - Larger/easier to read labels for the jacks
    - Package it in a box that can fit nicely into a rack
    - A 9V circuit so that I don't have to carry AAA batteries just for this one

Hope this helps....
  8. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Hmm what is a Boss FS-2? It sounds like you've used a FS2 footswitch to control a pandora. IF that's possible i may just start using my pandora at rehearsals :)

Cant find the FS-2 on boss's website so thought id ask.
  9. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    It's the LS-2 Line Switcher.

This thing has two discrete loops plus an input and output. The two loops have separate gain controls, and there's a selector that controls what the footswitch does (Loop A -> Loop B -> Bypass, Mix A+B -> bypass, Loop A - Bypass, etc. etc.).

So, for general settings where I want to have a subtle overall effect for tone control, I set it to mix, and I get a nice blend of clean signal and the Pandora. For those times when I want a more dramatic effect I can run the entire signal through the Pandora by just changing the selector.

The sucker is very useful, but relatively costly (more expensive than most Boss stomp boxes).
  10. capnhiho

Feb 22, 2004
    Central CA
    My job takes me out of town quite a bit so I miss out on practice (newbie bass player pretty low on the learning curve). I bought my PX4-B because it fits inside my hard case with a short cable. Add headphones (free cordless phones if you buy before the end of June) and it all fits inside the cab of my truck. It's a great practice headphone amp/effects box/tuner that won't rattle the walls in a motel.

As others have stated, the preset effects are cute but the novelty wears off and they can become annoying. I've tried it as a preamp plugged into my amp and it's definitely noisy (I also have a Boss GT6-B which is dead silent into the same amp). I doubt I'd use the PX4-B on a gig or for recording but it does have a place in my gear.

My local GC didn't have the AC adapter in stock (still waiting after several weeks) but I found an old adapter for a Sony Discman that is perfect.

Hope this answers some of your questions.