Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The lad bumped my Yammy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockin John, Aug 4, 2003.

1. We went rehersing last week. My lad and his cousin came along. My lad carried one bass, his cousin the other (they're in gig bags, not hard cases).

It'd been raining and the slope from our house to the road was wet enough for the cousin to slip. Somehow he held the bass across his body but the bass' body cracked hard against the tarmac. A stone punctured the bag and drove a small hole in the rear of the bass. It's about 1/4" deep and about 1/2" across.

I didn't say anything to him. How could I? It was an accident and could have easily happened to me. But my lovely blue Yammy is ruined for ever.:bawl: :bawl:

Still sounds good, though.:D

You know, I didn't even swear.:eek:

John

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, man, that's nothing. i used to gig a lot with my pedulla fretless, back in the day of 4 strings, and one time i took it out of the trunk (out of the case) and was fiddling with it in the parking lot when it slipped out of my fingers and fell on the ground from waist height. :eek: put a 3 inch long crack in the control cavity.

i sent it back to mike at pedulla to fix, he did a great job but then lost the truss rod cover, somehow. the one he sent me to replace it was too small. then, 5 months later, i got my first conklin, so... :D

3. Now, c'mon, Mr Turner, err, Sir John, surely you're not saying you played a 4 string at one time. :eek: Was that in the days before 38 string basses......

Point taken. The bump on the Yammy isn't so bad, really. Just didn't want it bumped, that's all.

John

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Your lad? What's a lad? Is that like a gay lover or something?

5. ouch:p

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Good for you! I'm sure he felt terrible about it... your restraint may give him an excellent example later in life when he is faced with an accidental 'maiming' of a prized possesion!

-robert

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, that was a while ago :D

and i hear ya, it still sucks when they get dinged. i've been very lucky so far with the conks - they haven't been "conked" severely yet, which has been pure luck, to be honest.

8. :eek: No:eek:

"Lad" quite simply means: boy. It has no sexual conotations as far as I'm aware and certainly none intended here.

In this case, the 'lad' who bumped the bass was my wife's sister's son who was staying with us for a week of the school holidays. He's 13 years of age.

When I said, 'my lad' I meant my son. It's quite usual over this side of the pond to hear a father refer to his son as, 'my lad'.

:D

John

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not anywhere South of Watford it isn't!!

If you said this in London or especially in parts of Brighton - I think Munji's implication would be more likely to be accepted!! ;)

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Bar a few years studying at the University of York, I've been a 'South of Watford' person and I didn't find any area of confusion in John's use of the term lad (especially knowing from his other posts that he's a proud father). Apart from meaning 'male child' the only other use I'm familiar is the 'lads' used as a synonym for young people (mainly men) whose idea of a good time is 14 pints and a curry...

Maybe things are different in Brighton?

Wulf

11. Hmmmm, well...........

I did wonder after I'd replied to Munji that I might be making too general a statement. But I left it as it was. Perhaps it's just us relative northerners that use such a phrase. Then again, perhaps its only me.

Well then, to dispell any further uncertainty...

The boy who bumped my Yammy is NOT a gay lover.

:eek: :eek: Goodness me.............:eek: :eek:

John

PS.

It seems things are VERY different in Brighton, Wulf. And thanks for the backup.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Shhh..you've got to keep those Americans guessing - so when they come over they make complete fools of themslves and we can spot them a long way off - don't want them blending in and having a good time when they visit the old country do we!! ;)

Seriously - I find lad an archaic term - that my grandfather might use - but nobody I know under the age of about 60 would use in that context - the "lad" culture that wulf refers to is much more common.

If somebody I knew, said 'lad' in a conversation - I would be tempted to reply with "eeh by gumm lad"!! In a poor attempt at a Yorkshire accent!! ;)

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    John, you are SO serious.

14. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Put a sticker over it :D What kinda yamaha is it by the way? Any pics of the damage?