1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Last Bass I'm Ever Buying (with pics of course)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doctor J, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Well, I've been playing bass about 17 years now, I've played a lot of basses, I've owned a fairly small amount in truth but I've pretty much settled on what I want from a bass and what a bass should do. Firstly, I think Leo Fender produced the definative design when he knocked out the Jazz bass, the one bass I can think of that'll do any kind of music well, it's comfy and just sounds right for every occasion. I do, however, believe technology has moved on in 50 years, especially in electronics, and it would be foolish not to take this into account. So I knew what I was looking for in a bass and I asked Hotwire in Germany to make it for me. I told them I wanted a bass for life, so I wouldn't have to buy another damn bass as long as I live.

So enough of my rambling, here cometh the pics :D

Q-Tuner pickups and a Noll TCM3JB preamp (Vol & Blend & Passive Bypass, Bass & Treble cut and boost, Mid cut & boost and passive tone on three concentric knobs, vol is push/pull to engage passive mode).

[​IMG]

The fretboard is fairly mentally figured, which I didn't ask for, I was more into it sounding right than selecting figured woods, but I ain't complaining ;)

[​IMG]

Q-Tuners and Badass 5 bridge. The electronics are very discreet, there aren't a plethora of knobs and switches.

[​IMG]

The 4+1 headstock was custom, they usually do 5 in a row or 3+2, it is also angled back so no need for string trees, also a custom option.

[​IMG]

6 bolt neck instead of 4 with a plate, again a custom request Hotwire were happy to do

[​IMG]

Comfy neck, slim but still feels right in my hand

[​IMG]

Hipshot Ultralight tuners to prevent neck dive.

[​IMG]

There's actually a lot of flame on the neck which the flash is hiding, it's a bit more obvious here and the first photo.

[​IMG]

Gotta dig the low serial numbers :p

[​IMG]

More of the fretboard :)

[​IMG]

So there it is. First impressions? It sounds superb. Even with the preamp bypassed the tone is full and clear, meat but without any mud. It is everything I could have wished for tonally. I think the Q-Tuners would be the ideal pickup for anyone who likes to pop and slap. The bass is heavy, which I like, but not too much of a strain on my back. The neck is comfy, it plays delightfully and it was definitely worth the money (don't ask) and the wait (even though the wait was ****ing horrible :D ).

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    congratulations, mang! that is a beauty!

it's rare when i see someone's custom bass that i am truly taken aback by how beautiful and cool it looks...(they always seem to be too "furniture" for me)... but i must say i am truly impressed and awed by your pics! beautiful fretboard, beautiful finish, really cool-sounding options! nice!

thanks for sharing and again, congratulations!

oh, and if it had been a four-string, i would've probably fallen off my chair here. personal preference, y'know. :)

3. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Killer looking bass man. Really dig the green.

But is it really the last?

4. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    My missus says it is :bag: ;)

Thanks gents, I'm not overly into the super figured tops and the likes, I just wanted a bass that'd play and sound the way I want and that's what I've got, I think :)

5. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    big headstock, no string tree... nice design. Looks like a great "last" instrument. but "last"....uhhh.... ok... ;)

6. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I really dig the Hotwire line...nice basses.

I however am also not buying the "last bass" line either...:D

7. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    Wow, that's a nice bass. Love the green color (hopes it isn't blue - daltonic). any clips?

8. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Placed the order at the end of March. Clips on the way, we're just bonding at the moment :smug:

9. Nice! Looks great.

Only thing I would have changed would be having the headstock painted to match the body, but, thats just me.

*waits for clips*

10. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Grats, looks like a solidly built bass there :) Can you say more about the preamp's sounds? :)

11. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    WOW, that's a beauty! Congrats ;) The head stock looks much cleaner with out the tree. But .... your last bass ever? :D

12. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I dig the neck joint -- always wondered why more basses weren't 6-bolt

13. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Mm, sexy fretboard.

14. how did you manage to get that to dublin?????!!!
    I'M so jealous...

I thought not one decent custom bass came into this country

Details...Details

15. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Looks so cool. That green is so stunning.

GM

16. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Im buying that as much as im now buying what i said a few months ago when my G&L arrived "ill never sell it! i love this bass"...

well.. now its for sale to finance a custom bass with the same type of electronics, just a bit more pre amp and eq...

17. Bill G.

Bill G.

Dec 2, 2005
    Baton Rouge
    Wow...that's really nice! I love the fingerboard.

18. is that a knot in the fingerboard???

19. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    That's what I was going to ask....

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Elegant and simple. I like it. Congrats!