The last bass Leo Fender was working on when he died is for sale.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by two fingers, Jun 22, 2017.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  2. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    Looks like a Big Al prototype with the 3 pickups

3. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

I would imagine it is probably Strat switching. Neck/neck-middle/midde/middle-bridge/bridge.

4. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    ONE OF the last, the listing says. There could be three dozen of them for all we know.

5. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sure I get it. The merits of the ad and/or it's price weren't really the interesting thing to me. The bass itself and its provenance are interesting.

BXBss, pjbassist, BlueMINI and 3 others like this.
  6. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I'd never pay that much for something that's only half finished ;)

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    They've had that for sale at Carters here in Nashville for at least 2 years now...

Gizmot likes this.
  8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah another thread about the best bass you ever played had me looking to see if that refin '63 P bass was still there. I shoulda bought that stupid thing.

pjbassist likes this.
  9. B-line

B-line Inactive

For a second there, I was going to pull the trigger, but when I read "Case: TBD"
    that killed it!

I thought that Leo put pups & such on a breadboard-type of device when prototyping.
    Anyhow- I'm not sure that even with Leo Fender's provenance all over that. it would command those dollars, but then again, I'm not a collector, and that bass as a player- fuhgeddaboudit!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  10. Hmmm... three pickups. Clearly Leo recognized the need for this many and had moved on from the ancient P design.

Someday we will.

11. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Now Zen. Don't troll us P fans. That's just not nice.

12. Just kidding.....:cigar:...:angel:

13. I would just ask G&L to make a custom bass of the same design. Or a Fender Custom Shop '54 with 3 pickups in the same position. Less $$$, but the sentimental value is certainly there.

Admiral Akbar likes this.
  14. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

When you think about it , that is actually very close to one of those vintage modified Squier tele bases with the mudbucker near the neck and the jazz pickup in the bridge position. I think that he was onto something with the positioning of the pickups although I don't think that the pickup nearest the neck would do anything for me on a switch. If it was blendable into the other pickups it might have a value to me in terms of adding some thick , meaty flavour to the tone but I don't know, a pickup that close to the neck never seems to capture enough of the fundamental of the note and it seems to be missing the attack that I like. Now if that pick up was moved back to just slightly in front of the middle pickup I think that old Mr. Fender would have really been on to something...... may he rest in peace.

15. B-line

B-line Inactive

G&L doesn't do custom basses, just offers lots of great options on their stock models.

FCS- Sure no problem-o. Less than the original Leo, but for say $6-10K you could have them make you a very sweet bass, 3-pickups and all. If that's what you wanted!:smug:

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    I thought the last bass Leo was working on was a prototype 6 string bass/baritone guitar for G&L. I know I have seen photos of it on his workbench and, IIRC, it was noted as the last thing he was working on.

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  17. G&L switches it up once in while. Sometimes the last thing he was working on was that, sometimes a Ray with a P pickup, and now a Tele-Bass. It depends on who's curating the "museum". The only definite I've seen is that Leo liked to have lots of empty peanut cans near his workspace.

Whatever happened with that theft they had where someone pilfered Leo's office and then posted the items for sale?

18. Shouldn't that be in the Smithsonian or sumthin?

bass08053, nbsipics, Tbone76 and 2 others like this.
  19. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    Needs tort.

20. B-line

B-line Inactive

Or the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame?:roflmao:

JGbassman and Pdaddy1978 like this.