The last of the Mesa Walkabout Scouts. Talk me into it.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Igotsoul4u, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u

Nov 3, 2011
    Princeton
    Since its intro I've really dug the Walkabout scout and it's been on the wish list for a long time. Of course it has recently been discontinued which means finding out new will become more difficult each day. My local shop has one and I test drove it today and it was just as nice as I remember. It's amazing how it stays solid down on the low B string. Does anyone know why they are discontinued? Are they too heavy compared to all the new stuff?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should grab the new one or go used. Any opinions on how they hold up over the years? I have seen some used as low as $850-$1300.

I currently have a G&K MB500 and it has zero vibe to it. The walkabout seems so much more dynamic and juicy. Is there some other amp that is worth considering over the walkabout?

2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Do it! :cool:
    you won't regret it at all. classic amp that will stand the test of time.
    Can't say why Mesa has discontinued the WA. Possibly because they have something else in the pipeline ? The WA at 18lbs, is also a bit of a heavyweight in an increasingly lightweight/class D world. IDK.

57pbass likes this.
  3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    It just makes sense that there’s a D 800 combo in the works.. I have no information but it’s just a hunch.
    OP.. I have an original Scout with lots of mileage.. I’m thinking about getting a newer model .. but will wait a few months to see if Mesa releases a new lightweight combo..

DJ53 likes this.
  4. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    If you have the funds to grab one now, just do it. You will regret it later if you dont.

Al Kraft and joebar like this.
  5. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    It's a classic and one of the best.
    They are discontinued because they were incredibly expensive new and relatively unknown except for place like TB.
    Go get one.
    Buy once, cry once I say

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I went from one WalkAbout head and no Scout cabs to three full 1x12 Scout Combo rigs once I heard theywere being discontinued. :thumbsup:

7. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    Yes, do it! I own one and never regret having one. It's the best small combo bar none. JMTC of coarse.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I own a 15" Mesa Walkabout Scout stack (combo and matching cab). It really is a remarkable setup. More volume than I could ever need. Great tone. And once you get to know the para EQ section, it is a powerful tool. You can dial in any mix or room with ease. Warm is its wheelhouse. But it can get aggressive with some tweaking. Tube rolling on V2 makes a difference. I never noticed a diference rolling tubes on V1. Mine has been reliable. I recently sent the head back home for a factory freshening and customer service, price and turnaround time were all exceptional.

Our own @agedhorse is a design engineer for Mesa and has his hands/brains all in the Subway series (among other products of course). He has covered at great length the discontinuation of the Walkabout for us in another thread. It should be easy to find.

The head alone gets along with every cab I have ever tried it with. And, of course, it pops out of the combo. So, if you have a big 4-10 cab around and need a little more heft than the single Scout can deliver, that's always an option. The Walkabout with my Epifani UL410 is just stupid loud. But I rarely ever use them together because the stack is....well....even stupider louder. :D

I don't know that I will keep mine forever. I have gear ADD and tend to send things down the line so I can try other stuff. But I put the Walkabout Scout in the category of a 300W tube SVT 8-10 rig, a P bass, and a Fender Roscoe Beck Signature bass. Every bass player should own one at least once. (I no longer have an SVT or RB Sig bass either.)

Sorry for the awful pics. It looks better in person.
    Better pics found here in the sale thread posted when I bought it some 6 years ago now. (My how time flies...)
    SOLD - FS: Mesa Walkabout Scout 2x15 Custom Cabs
    1.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

9. bklee

bklee Supporting Member

I've had mine for quite a while (>5 years) and use it for small bar gigs. I recently had it go out on me at a coffeehouse gig. I took it to Mesa (I live nearby) and they replaced one of the MOSFETs for $110. I recently added a Subway 1x15 cabinet as an external speaker just so I can have enough sonic headroom for loud bar gigs. The tone is big and round. They are somewhat heavy for their size, but you won't regret it.

10. I miss the heck out of mine...

11. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    The only surprising part of that is that you didn't say you bought a full set of design and manufacturing specs and are in negotiation for a licensing agreement to build additional units at some point in the future. :)

12. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Yeah get one. I would go the used route though as they are pricey new. The Walkabout tone is so nice. Even just the head is a great choice. IME it works great with any cab I've used it with.

13. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    **BOCO**

Hooray for favorite new quote!!!

joebar likes this.
  14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Somehow this does not surprise me one bit! :D

derrico1 and Al Kraft like this.
  15. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    The WA is actually 13 lbs.

joebar and Al Kraft like this.
  16. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ha, yes. I lose sight of this because my WA is housed in a Mesa headcase which brings the overall weight of the amp up to 33lbs.
    not super heavy as amp go (can you say SVT) .. but still kind of chunky compared to the current class of ultra-featherweight class D amps (like the 5.5lb Subway 800).

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    baileyboy likes this.
  17. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    I have two WAs (red and black face) and alternate them with gigs. I have had them both a long time with no issues whatsoever. I bought them both used in the $600-700 range, but I've seen them used as low as $450. Many WA users appear to have moved on to the very popular solid state Mesa Subway, which is lighter and around 5-6 pounds. I am going to stick with the WA for now because I have had much success with it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

18. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    man, I'm never selling my WA or my Roscoe Beck IV.

joebar, two fingers and kpc like this.
  19. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I have two Walkabouts from the first two dozen made. One has the mods to FX loop and input, one doesn't. Both still going strong and sounding great.

20. otp57

otp57

Oct 10, 2016
    JUST GET THE Walkabout scout AND BE HAPPY.

21. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Wish you lived closer, I'm selling mine for $799, but I really don't want to ship.

22. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2021