1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Last Pedulla

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PlayTheBass, Aug 19, 2019.

1. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Well, I don’t know for sure this is THE very last Pedulla, but if not, then it’s close to it… serial number 9957.

I’d wanted a Pentabuzz for years, and finally back in May I contacted Pedulla to put my order in. It was such a bummer to find out I had just missed the cutoff before Michael retired.

Then a few weeks later, Christine contacted me to tell me there was one Pentabuzz that Michael was going to keep for himself but decided to make available after all. She said I was the first one to try to place an order after he retired, so they were offering it to me first. I was floored—heck YEAHHH!!! The specs were almost perfect for me: 19mm string spacing, AAAAA Flame Maple in Caramel, PJ pickups, and black hardware. The only thing that’s a little odd for me is the lined fingerboard, as I’ve always had unlined fretlesses.

It is drop dead gorgeous. I can see why the master himself was going to keep it, but I am very grateful he decided to let it go!

IMG_4040.JPG IMG_4043.JPG IMG_4044.JPG IMG_4051.JPG P8110001.JPG P8110003.JPG P8110006.JPG

davec, GKon, westrock and 140 others like this.
  2. WOW!

You lucked out; that is gorgeous. :bassist:

Much good luck with it.

Mike :thumbsup:

3. I just noticed how wide the neck is!

I would love that!

Mike

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. YOU ARE ONE VERY LUCKY GUY INDEED! Regardless of the price you paid, that story makes the bass priceless!

bhoff5150, nozkcb, hintz and 2 others like this.
  5. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Gorgeous bass! Pedulla is local to me and I am kicking myself for never getting around to visit. Both he and his wife are incredibly nice people in every email and call I ever made to them (they used to email me on my birthday!)

Artman and PlayTheBass like this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    C9299E4C-0B99-4907-94FD-9CBE51631EA4.
    That neck is heavenly! Every time I get GAS, I think of how wonderful this bass is and that there will be no more, and I calm down.:)

7. That is awesome! Congratulations!

PlayTheBass likes this.
  8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I think it’s fair to call that the last Pedulla

nozkcb, Jason Hollar, Artman and 7 others like this.
  9. You are a lucky lad indeed. Treasure that bass. I have just put my much more humble peacock blue Pentabuzz back in it's case. These are truly incredible basses. My ideal fretless. Long may we enjoy these instruments and hold the Pedulla name in such high regard.

10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    When you buy a car, I was always told to never buy early in the model year - you gotta let the folks building them get the kinks out, and they do that while making the first cars. What you really want is the last car off the assembly line that year - by then they know how to build them. In your case, you got the last one off the line (or pretty close) from a very respectable builder. I'll bet it plays great.

11. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Nice bass!

It makes me sad that I will probably never have an Octabuzz.

PlayTheBass likes this.
  12. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Wow, that is beautiful. :woot:

PlayTheBass likes this.
  13. That is a stunning Pedulla! Congratulations. Play it in good health.

Dunno if you join clubs, but the Pedulla club is worth following
    The Pedulla Club!

nozkcb and PlayTheBass like this.
  14. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    Beauty! Enjoy!

PlayTheBass likes this.
  15. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Great story. Great bass. Congrats.

PlayTheBass and Dr. Cheese like this.
  16. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    Sounds like you had a date with destiny.

PlayTheBass likes this.
  17. pingvuiini

pingvuiini

Feb 2, 2009
    Antarctica
    Congratulations! I too have yearned for a lefty Pedulla fretless but never got around to it, and now its too late. Enjoy it!

PlayTheBass likes this.
  18. stretch80

stretch80 Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2005
    BEAUTIFUL! maybe the prettiest Pedulla I've seen. Congrats!

PlayTheBass likes this.
  19. Pedullas in the Buzz/MVP shape have often been overlooked as more and more small builder basses had their day in the sun. It's the ultimate case of little bass/big sound. I have no trouble predicting that values on great-shape used ones are as cheap as they're ever going to be, and they are only going to go up from here on out. MVP's are great axes, and the Buzz basses are as good a fretless as money can buy, IF the shape and all white-wood recipe works for you.

Gorgeous axe and congrats !

PlayTheBass likes this.
  20. Cutter8

Cutter8 Admittedly in need of adult supervision... Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    That is an absolutely breathtaking bass!

nozkcb and PlayTheBass like this.