Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The last question on synth pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Si-bob, Nov 22, 2002.

1. hey people
    i'v just joined a live dance/electronica act (really excited about it) and its allowed me to speen up some of my intended purchases :D
    i'm after a nice lil analog synth pedal, i'm not able to try them out so i want everyones opinion on a couple, i think its between the Electro Harmonix Micro Synth and the Akai Deep Impact. Basically i'm not after warblng unusable noises, but i want some phat keyboard like synth (eg Lady marmalade by all the R&B queens, check that fat synth bass)
    it will most probly be being used with a fretless bass, a chorus and a distorsion pedal.

cheers
    *Si*

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    One vote in favor of the Deep Impact; you have the ability to program multiple presets into memory so you'd have different settings on the gig. The EH has more controls/sliders, but does not have the preset capability.

3. As much as it gets knocked in these forums, I have seen, yes, actually seen, that many bands that use bass synths use the Boss SYB-3. Its hard to get the hang of at first, but once you know the in and outs, its a nice synth. Its got a very characteristic sound too, I know for sure that the Roots use it, De La Soul uses it in thier single 'Oooh', Mercurio from Galactic uses it in a very cool way, he blends just a little bit of the synth in, on most of his stuff, especially live, so you can barely hear it, but it definitely fattens up his sound. Theres others too.. Very versatile.

4. eshears

eshears Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    I've been looking a lot at synth pedals lately, too...and I've pretty much decided on the Akai Deep Impact.

I can't really test all of these pedals out where I'm at either, so I've done a lot of research. Not only is the Akai the cheapest, but it also has presets and true bypass...and all of the user reviews I've read on it a great!

Eric

5. Tbers out of spokane know whats up.!

6. EHX bass micro synth..if you want old school moog sounds this pedal is it!!at first it is not the most user friendly unit,but once you get familiar with the controlls it's really quite easy. if you are playin on a dark stage,a small table and a small light may be needed for making adjustments on the fly...the BMS is really an instrument in itself. the bypass is not the greatest,but the sound of the effect is the s**t,but it don't cheap..the boss pedal had too much of that digital wackiness for MY taste(digital chirps and blurps when I'm not even playing)..I can't comment on the Akai because I never had the opportunity to try one,but everyone here seems to like it(I'm sure I would too) if your lookin for cheap\inexpensive synth look for the Ibanez bass synth(tone-lok series)..I think it sells for under $100. and has some good reviews..good luck :)

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If it's at all possible, you should try and check out a V Bass. I know it costs more than every other pedal here combined, but you can't beat the options.

I picked one up cheap from Mars (going out of business sale), so it's your best chance to ge one for under $1000.

8. $1000.!! is that with or without the pick-up??

9. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I got mine for $725 +tax with the pickup, brand new, from Mars.

Someone else on this board actually found one for under $400 at one of the Mas auction because no one bid against him.

I never could have picked up the VBass at it's normal price of $1100 with the pickup. Bt, I couldn't pass it up at the GOOB sale price. :D

10. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    i got mine for 600...that price is a steal (w/ pickup)....it is an amazing unit.

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Very cool! Was that a Mars deal, too?

I had planned on waiting to see if the price was going to go down any more, but someone else was in the store asking about it the day I bought it, so I will take the price I got over having to pay full price.

Isn't it the coolest toy? :D

12. Vbass seems like a real deal for what you end up with. The Ibanez bass synthesizer is a cool little box akin to using an octaver, filter and fuzz in variable positioning. I like the ibanez allot; cheap and useful. The best hands down bass synth IMO (you're all tired of this I know...) is the Korg G5. Do a search of the TB archives for presets and tips. Has nine user presets and hundreds of TERRIFIC sounds. You'll find 'em on Ebay for less than $200. No comparison IMO. The EH will have th ebest sounds but no presets. The Akai is probably the best comprimise between them all but that Korg.....!!? You can control the sensitivity with a foot pedal! Guys.....don't consider any others B4 familiarizing yourself with this box! All other bass synths are toys, this is a tool.
    I guess that Digitech is cool too....
    :p

13. V-bass is not an option, $1000 isn't even the budget for my next bass, let alone a pedal :) . I tried the Boss SYB-3 (or whatever its called) and thought it was awful, loads of unusable digital warbles and the tracking is appalling, i might get a sound on about 1 in 4 notes i played!
    i'm leaning towards the EHX BMS because of the sound demo's i got from the website, it sounds really phat.
    has anyone got any demo sounds of the Akai Deep Impact?

*Si*

14. eshears

eshears Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    I got this link from another thread...I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here. Anyway, there are MP3s for each of the Akai's 9 presets. Some are pretty damn funky...others are just OK, but could probably be tweaked...

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/johnnyg/deepimpact/

15. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I was in a situation several months ago where I needed a cheap Bass synth to play a couple of songs in our set.

I purchased a Boss SYB-3 Bass synth a few months ago used for $100 on www.musicgoround.com.
    The tracking on the SYB-3 does require fairly smooth and accurate playing. It helps alot if you use a compressor before the pedal to smooth out your playing dynamics (you can play a little sloppy using a compressor before the Bass synth).
    A small amount of Flange or Chorus effect after the Bass synth helps give life to sound.

I checked every few days for about a month before one showed up at that price.

I have been watching for the AKAI model on the musicgoround site for several months but a used one has not shown up.

16. Do not consider others until you've checked out the Korg? There are some pretty surprising deals out there on this puppy. It's flexibilty and ability to store presets put all these other toys to shame. You can check mine out in action through my web link on the tunes "Almamaghretta" And in the last bit of "Transonic"
    Check this thread out also; http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65056&highlight=bass+synth+korg

[​IMG]

I'm not just yanking your chain here....Y'all need this tool if for those massive, fat analog keyboard tones. Others will get close but may frustrate as well. NONE offer the interactive options of the Korg. Not one.

Really?

17. hooray
    getting a new Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synth for £218.....gotta love working at a music shop :D

*Si*