The Last Waltz DVD with Rick Danko buy it!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Nicklas, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    Maybe the best dvd music film ever. If you like guys like Dylan, Neal Young and they much underrated The band buy this one.

Rick Danko plays great on this one and he sings some very nice tunes.

Im a very new fan to The band and Rick Danko can anybody tell me why this man gain so much weight on his later years.

And how good he was on bass- i think he is maybe the only bass man who also plays violin.!!!!!
  2. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Bassists Forum perhaps? :)
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yep, sounds good... moved.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Aha - after 15 posts/threads all about Paul McCartney - we have moved on!! :D
  5. It's about time! Goshdarnit!

Danko is one of the most subversively funky bassists of the 60's and The Band are (IMO) the best band of that era. I highly reccommend any of their stuff, they are wonderful.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Eating food?
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Watching Van Morrison tear it up in that concert is like a religous expierence.
  8. Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    i really like they drummer Levon Helms but on this Dvd you can think that he is main singer but that is wrong. Richard Manuel is one of the most underrated vocalist ever. He also plays great piano and also played some great drums
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Great concert of the best...but.....Rick Danko's playing is overdubbed a lot in that movie! Just check out his fingers during Joni Mitchell's Black Crow....not even close.
  10. I love the lines he played on fretless on the 'Weight' - great groove, sound, and note choices. What kind of bass was that?

He looked awkward when he played and sang - still, it was an interesting stage presence.

I didn't notice that there was a lot of overdubbing in the film. I'll have to check it out again.

11. I believe it was an Ampeg fretless. I really want one of those, I think someone is remaking them under another name. Hmm time to search!
  12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm not trying to take anything away from Rick, great player & of the first guys to play fretless. There are almost no concert movies/live albums without major overdubbing. One of my all-time fave live albums...Allman Bros at the Fillmore didn't have any overdubbing.....but it did have different takes spliced together.
  13. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i watched part of this last night--some of the bonus features were nice--10 minute jam w/ Ron Wood getting some screen time, though it seemed like they missed Ringo's snare in the mix.

Interesting to see clapton's strap come off during "Farther on up the road"--Robbie was right there to pick up the solo though--kind of a reminder of the primative conditions we played under in the mid 70's!

Intersting too to see a band w/ 2 keyboardists--Garth had keyboards spread all over at goofy angles and such.
  14. I saw The Last Waltz when it came out in 1978 I think. There were maybe 10 other people in the movie theatre. I was just so blown away at how good it was - how someone finally managed to capture a rock concert live on stage. And as a movie it is much better than Woodstork.

Danko, Manuel, Robertson, Helm and Hudson made some of the most earthy and real music of the 60's and 70's. They had great teachers in Garth, Hawkins and Dylan and they put in their time - Danko went from someone who didn't even know how to hold a bass into being a great player.

Besides The Last Waltz I would highly recommend "The Basement Tapes" with Dylan as being one of their greatest contributions.

Alas, Manuel hung himself in Fort Lauderdale within a few years of the Band's breakup. Robertson's tribute to him "Fallen Angel" with Peter Gabriel on his first solo album is one of the most touching songs in rock.

BTW, lest anyone doubt The Bands influence on THAT generation, Clapton tells the story of hearing "Music From Big Pink" and then traveling to upstate NY to ask The Band if HE could join THEM.
  15. If I had to pick a favorite band ever, I would probobly say The Band. I love Rick Danko's bass playing, Levon Helm's drumming, Robbie Robertson's guitar playing, but most of all, Richard Manuel's voice. His vocals had so much emotion and depth, I don't even know how to describe it. I don't think they ever recorded a bad song, and I recomend almost all of their albums, accept for "Islands" which wasn't even a real album.
  16. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    What band are u you talking about?
  17. Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    The bands name is The Band!!!
  18. Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    To me the Band members was very good on their instruments.........just Garth he was dam good on those pianos and synths.

Not so many band have a great songwrite Robbie,two good drummes Helm and Manuel,violinist yes Danko, One great bass player Danko, Three Great vocalist Helm, Manuel,Danko.

Not even the Beatles comes close in skills.
  19. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    that'll do it.