1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Last Waltz

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BurnOut, Aug 12, 2019.

1. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Saturday we played an annual party for our 4th year in Bright Indiana. It's a party for old and new friends, many of us all grew up in a small suburb city in Cincinnati. So it's like a reunion of sorts, a chance for us all to get together and swap tales of past misadventures.
    Our band Duh Jokers has decided to dissolve after this gig. It was our first big show 4 years ago when we formed up.
    Our Last Waltz.
    Martin Scorsese was filming. Special Guests included- Ronnie Hawkins and Bob Dylan as well as Paul Butterfield, Bobby Charles, Eric Clapton, Neil Diamond, Dr. John, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, Ringo Starr, Muddy Waters, Ronnie Wood, and Neil Young.
    Sorry for the lack of food, my bad and I take full responsibility for this. I guitar tech/roadie for our guitar player who suffers from Parkinson's along with other health issues. So I pull double duty at all our gigs, keeps me pretty busy.
    Now on with the show

Our lovely hostess of the event Cathy & friend. Cathy makes a metric ton of Jello Shots every year, The Jello Shot Soiree. FB_IMG_1565587690367.

Our guitar player his girlfriend and daughter relaxing before we take the stage. My beautiful wife Mrs BurnOut (front left)
    IMG_20190810_195324_9.

Our other guitar player Donnie's lady friend Terrie (left) with friend
    IMG_20190810_195331_5.

An acoustic duo The Music Doctors opened the show with a set you wouldn't expect to hear from a a group like that. A great twist instead of the usual acoustic stuff. They did a great job.
    IMG_20190810_195402_4.

Time for us to do our prep for our set. Gary on FOH talking with our drummer Johnny O
    FB_IMG_1565562943394.

Our guitar player Donnie talking details with drummer Johnny O. Steve getting ready for some blistering leads.
    FB_IMG_1565570554620.

Me Myself and I getting myself in order. Playing thru my Yorkville BassMaster 400, and I finally brought out my 212 cab made by our own @basscooker. It has played many rehearsals never a show.
    FB_IMG_1565570541336.

One last setup dance pick. A good friend and locally famous shredder, was in bands with my older brother came out to support us, Steve Bishop (the long hair on stage)
    FB_IMG_1565570526085.

I'll be back with show pics, and wrap up in the next post.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 3:30 AM
  2. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Ok here are the big show action shots, don't really have details for them, sorry just pics.
    Without Further Ado..........
    Duh Jokers
    It's not just a clever name, it's a disclaimer.
    FB_IMG_1565566391092_kindlephoto-638635176.

FB_IMG_1565566391092.

FB_IMG_1565504511552_kindlephoto-621833918.

FB_IMG_1565504505021_kindlephoto-622477660.

FB_IMG_1565504491964.

FB_IMG_1565504481574_kindlephoto-626265537.

FB_IMG_1565504472101_kindlephoto-626731680.

I was playing my Jackson David Ellefson KellyBird. I've been using it almost exclusively this year over my beloved BTB4. Slightly headstock heavy but a great bass. The @basscooker 212 sounded spectacular, I'll be bringing it out when my next adventure starts playing out. I received a ton of compliments on my bass sound, think it was one of the best sounds I've had live so far. (especially for an outside gig) My vocals were slightly rough, humid damp air gives me a hard time, I am my worst critic. My bass playing was spot on, only a couple minor farts.
    I thank my band for taking me from a new to bass playing, supporting me throughout, to a nearly seasoned professional.
    We're still gonna play the occasional gig, but it's pretty much over. We actually accepted a benefit for next month, as fall benefit season is upon us, but that will probably be the last gig.
    Me, I'm starting up with a slightly harder rock band in the next couple weeks. Pretty excited, will have to up my skills, and I'll be stepping up front taking on most of the lead vocals.
    Thanks for looking.
    Peace N Chicken Grease

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  3. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Oh , and as a special extra thank you gift. Cathy The Hostess with the Mostest, knowing my love of fine tequilas, presented me with this bottle of Patron Reppsado. Probably one of the nicest things I've received in my 4+ years in the band. I didn't partake as I had a long drive home at 2am after teardown. I did dip into it after I got everything loaded in the house when I got home. Simply Delicious.
    FB_IMG_1565601860002.

4. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Nice report. Looks like you had a good time with all your friends- I like those gigs too. Good luck with your next adventure.

Son of Wobble and BurnOut like this.
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @BurnOut,

I guess this is a great way to bring a project to a close. Nice party and really nice hostess. I'm a Patron fan too.

Best of luck in your new project. You'll have to introduce us when you get the chance. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

6. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Thanks Mr Cliff for the kind words of support, you're the greatest.
    Patron was the tequila that taught me there was way better tequilas in this world than the turpentine of our youths. Tequila is about the only alcohol I consume nowadays, on rare occasions. I'm very partial to Jose Cuervo Tradicional Reposado. It cost way less than Patron but is very close flavor to the Patron. In fact I did a comparison Saturday night and the Jose Tradicional was smoother.
    The Patron won't be going to waste, I'll make sure it gets the attention it deserves.
    Thanks for listening to my tequila review gig report.

7. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    One from the original gig 4 years ago. It started out as a disaster, my Sabine tuner freaked out while I was turning before the show. They tried to put me through the PA because the backline cabinet smoked. I couldn't hear my bass at all, settled for a half blown Hartke, slightly distorted but it worked. Then we opened with our opening song and I find out the Sabine had my tuning out to lunch. I struggled through the first song, retuned and went on to do a great set.
    Playing my way cool Big Hair Dean Hollywood Z in Zebra. Still have it, had it brought up to professional specs, awesome bass now.
    Precious Memories. FB_IMG_1565680450065.

8. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Burny :)

Who needs food when you have jello shots? :D

It' s all about priorities!

[​IMG]

Don 't worry! :D Nobody smells them when you play open air! ;)

Very cool report man! :cool:

thx for sharing :thumbsup:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

9. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Nice send off, great way to pack it in with this group.

Glad that you have the next outfit lined up.

Also, Jackson Kellybirds are Buffalo approved! :bassist:

Son of Wobble, Sore Thumb and BurnOut like this.
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    My man... psst... Don Julio, 70th anniversary...

Remember, my friend... as long as those doors keep opening, we're good.

Enjoy every moment, when you can.

Spidey

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

cool gig! hope your next project is as meaningful as this one has been for you...thanks for sharing your experience! :thumbsup:

Son of Wobble, BurnOut, McG and 2 others like this.
  12. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Nice way to go out, a party with friends. :)

I like the difference in the past and present photos. From newbie to confident bassist. :thumbsup:

Starting new projects is fun. Looking forward to hearing about it as it develops. :)

I'm a Patron fan too. :cool:

13. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    It' s all about priorities!

[​IMG]
    Were you there @Wisebass ?
    How'd you get the pic of Cathy's fridge?

14. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Check this out, it was posted on the Bright Indiana Facebook Page.
    I love it, you can't buy advertising like this anywhere. It's Pure Gold. FB_IMG_1565724768102_kindlephoto-762227866.

15. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Thanks Charlie.
    I see you are from Buffalo, I'm glad they approve of the Kelly Bird.
    I have many many friends in Buffalo, nearly as many as in Cincinnati. What's your band's name so I can see if it comes back to Kevin Bacon somehow.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 2:37 AM
    Son of Wobble and Spidey2112 like this.
  16. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I haven’t been playing out for some time now. Here in Buffalo there is a three tier pay scale. Tier one is enough to make it worth it. The second isn’t adequate and the third is none.

I never hit tier 1 and I got sick of hauling gear and playing 3 sets for $50 years ago.

Pretty much everyone’s Bacon number is 6. You and I are probably 3-5

17. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Hey, at least they called it MUSIC. :bassist::thumbsup:

Son of Wobble and BurnOut like this.
  18. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    A lot of the folks I know play at Rockin Buffalo. My very good friend runs karaoke there on Thursdays.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  19. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    FB_IMG_1565897583736.

20. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    @Son of Wobble where are you? I need the emotional support only you can provide, with your motivational life lessons of wisdom.