the late David Brown layin' down the Santana sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bass V, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    anybody know the story on this Fender mod?

upload_2017-10-7_10-52-54.png

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I don't. I assumed he played a stock P-bass back then. Is that photo photoshopped?
    I just know his bass sounded so great on those 1st 2-3 albums. Great mix, great tone.

3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't know, I can't recall ever seeing this bass, at least not in such a configuration. but, yeah, the guy was rock solid and left an everlasting impression on getting it right.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. Don't know anything about the bass, but he used it at the Altamont Speedway show on December 6. 1969 (getty images attributes this photo to that concert).

bassist-david-brown-and-carlos-santana-perform-onstage-at-the-on-6-picture-id90963912.jpg

I saw then in the early 70s, but don't recall is he was in the band at the time. I'll check my concert photos.

Dr. Cheese, JimK and Bass V like this.
  5. Don't know, but could not resist. Enjoy.

Dr. Cheese, bassobrutto, JimK and 6 others like this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    so now we know it's legit and not 'shopped, cool, thanx for that great pic!

JimK and FatStringer52 like this.
  7. It was November 25, 1973 when I saw them and Doug Rauch was the bassist during that period. And I couldn't find any footage of Santana at Altamont on the YT. Keep us updated if you find out any more . . .

Bass V likes this.
  8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    that may have been the hottest 2 years for Santana, the live Lotus LP smokes!

JimK and Peepaleep like this.
  9. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It looks like a J-bass with shaved pickguard.

10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    but the PU's look altered...

11. Papalampraina

Papalampraina Need.More.Fez.

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    The PUs look ok. The pickguard is not shaved, it's a whole different thing that goes beyond the bridge pickup and has no lower horn part.

jamro217 likes this.
  12. InhumanResource

InhumanResource Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    I just see a weird custom pickguard-like thing.

Joebone, jamro217 and Coolhandjjl like this.
  13. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Interesting---2 Acoustic 360 per amps; mic'd 18" W cab.

14. jebmd

jebmd Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Iona, Florida
    I like the use of the propane tank.

15. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Looks almost like a painted pickguard.

16. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Lots of award winning guitar-face going on there!

17. Besides the pickguard, there also appears to be some body sculpting. Almost as if the center mass of the body has been shaved. There is a distinct line (rolled border?) around body. There has to be some lost footage of Santana's performance somewhere (see the cameraman in the B/W photo.) I'd really like to see his footage. But it could have been lost in the events that occured later that evening . . .

Bass V likes this.
  18. Looks like a '60's Jazz Bass with an ugly pickguard. You can see the outline of the original guard on the lower bout. Maybe (just a guess) some routing was done and after changing his mind this was done to hide it. Could be that he liked the shape of the new guard. Or his grandmother didn't know what to get him for his birthday, so...

19. The overall body dimensions look like they might be shaved down a tad in the second picture due to the control plate being very close to the edge of the body. there is also some sort of two line painted or inlaid border around the perimeter as well

Bass V and FatStringer52 like this.
  20. Missing Link

Missing Link Guest

Aug 27, 2017
    My mind goes to an aborted attempt at a James Trussart guitars look with the top routed out with a border so a steel plate or whatever can be put on. OR maybe some kind of weight relief attempt. Would be interesting to KNOW the story

JimK, Bass V and FatStringer52 like this.