The Late Ray Brown

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by olivier, Jul 3, 2002.

1. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
  2. Horrible, horrible news.

I'd never heard him live, and I had the chance to see him in Chicago last week, but I passed it up, thinking that there would be other opportunities.....

Goodbye, Mr. Brown. And thank you.
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's been a tough week to be a bass player. We lose one of the most important electric rock players and one of the most important acoustic jazz players all in one week. :(

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    A truly sad day. Ray has influenced me more than any other bass player or musician. His feel, sound, technique, and personality have brought me to where I am today. Thank you. May you rest in peace.
  5. Ray was the best.... we will all miss him.

Does anybody have a complete discography of Ray's playing both as leader and sideman?

Good luck in your next life Ray.
  6. don't know how accurate or up-to-date this is, but there sure is a lot there...
  7. bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    I think a lot of us can say that Ray was one of the reasons we play the bass. "Brotherhood of Man" from Oscar Peterson Trio + One will go down as my favorite Ray track. He swings that tune, and any other for that matter, into the ground. I haven't checked out the discography you posted yet, Mark, but there's no doubt that there is some swinging bass on every album listed!
  8. Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Um, I think you mean peace. let's not get all grizzly here... :oops:

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Early in the morning....I just edited the post.
  10. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    He was the greatest, the definer of modern jazz bass. Missed, but never forgotten. :(
  11. telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
    Just heard about Ray--I just saw him on his last night of his trio's engagement here in LA--I feel so privledged to have seen Mr. Brown play--There will never be another----The amazing thing about Ray is that a month ago, he still played with the grace, fire, and facility of a man less than half his age--He truly loved to play, and share his rich legacy with others-----You could see it in his eyes---Guess he was ready to play with Bird and Diz again--
  12. I can't sleep with Ray's news.
    I still remember his show with his trio Bluenote,NYC.
    He is the one who make me wanna be a jazz bass player.:( :( :(

God bless you Ray.

Bangkok, Thailand
  13. Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    I was listening to "SuperBass 2" when I read the news on TB. It hit home instantly.:(
  14. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    Stay in peace Ray!
    One thay i'm gonna meet you in bass heaven and i know you're gonna teach me some stuff...
    Bass world is not the same without you....
    Superbass is gone........

15. Robert Kopec

Robert Kopec Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Fair Oaks ,N.Y.
    DR String endorsee
    Ray Brown ......THANK YOU.....
    He was very nice to me one night in NYC....
    That SOUND,SWING and every note was
    THE NOTE...
    I was lucky enough to chat with him....Got to shake his hand...THANK YOU.
  16. this is a little late, but I didn't know about this until now (the passing of Ray Brown doesn't seem to matter to any major media in iceland. :rolleyes: )

this is really sad. :(
  17. I've only just heard the news aswell. I'm quite shocked seeing as was still working so much.

He will be sorely missed.