Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The latest Bass Player Or The case of the missing article

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SheepHerder7898, Jun 16, 2004.

1. ok, so I was just reading the july issue of Bass Player when I get to the end of the Peavey Cirrus review...problem is, I can't find the end. It stops mid sentence, and there is no "Continued on page..." or anything.

Anyone know where the rest of the article went?

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Haven't received my July issue yet.:eyebrow:

This, however, would not be the first time this has happened in Bass Player.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Thunder bandit!!! :D Yeah, it's wouldn't be the first time. I got mine yesterday.

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Nothing more frustrating than reading along and then suddenly encountering a...

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    To me it looked like the end of the article anyways-it's possible they just forgot a period, although it was a bad sentance to end on. It was an update anyway, not a full review, so I wouldn't have expected it to be any longer.

6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    In addition, no "pros and cons"! Needless to say this issue lacks the greatness that BP has stood for for years.

I don't know bout you guys... but.... I don't really about Geezer.

Yet another BP let down. :scowl:

7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i thought i must be getting old or something , cuz i couldn't find it either ... :meh:
    then i re-read Bill Leighs' column about mistakes . { proof- read BEFORE publishing } :D

8. DaveDeVille

i've read Bass Player since 1991 , and sometimes i think they just rush the print and don't take the time needed ... then again , i have gained much information from the publication .

Geezer ??? you gotta be kidding !! he's one of rock's most under appreciated bass players . i think his bass lines probably aren't as complicated as some others , but very heavy and groove oriented . i like his bass tone also , from his Dan Armstrong basses to his Fenders , very cool ...jmo
    :cool:

9. Bill Leigh

Bill Leigh Editor In Chief, Bass Player Magazine

Apr 8, 2003
    Hey guys,

Yes, we did somehow cut off a few words at the end of the Peavey review. The complete sentence should have read, "They have good looks and a distinctive sound and feel, and they’re fun to play." Like most publications, we do make minor mistakes like this from time to time, but "another BP let down"? Wow, that's kind of harsh.

We do appreciate you guys keeping us on our toes, though. You're feedback and input is important to us. What other kinds of things would you like to see in the magazine? What did you think of the last few issues?

Bill Leigh

10. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Ok Bill I was a bit harsh, you guys do a great job almost all of the time...that's why you get my money.

I think the last few where ok... nothing ground breaking. With that said, what attracts me the most to BP aside from great interviews (Hub, Pino, Ronda Smith) is the gear review. I for one, would love to see more basses in review i.e. small builders (Ritter was great!), Fbass, Fodera, Lefay. I understand these basses aren't available to a "mass market" but worth a mention at least, as I believe such builders are the future of Hi-End bass production. In addition, maybe some string reviews.

Bill, I shot from the hip, sorry bro.
    You guys will always get my business.

Any heads up on a Stu Zender "where ya been" interview?

11. DaveDeVille

wow , hope you didn't think i was knockin' your efforts , just that i'd noticed a FEW little glitches over the years . i personally would like to see more reviews from the '70's players who are still pumpin' it out , the players who really shaped many of my generation's concept of the bass guitar ... maybe even some of the less famous players could be researched and interviewed .
    i dunno , it's still my favorite magazine... jmo :cool:

12. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Right On!

and a TB mention would be great as well... just food for thought :bag:

13. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX

Hi Bill,

It's great to see you on the forum. I've been a subscriber since '99 and I look forward to each issue.

I really like the focus on the Groove lately and I'd love to see a more expanded discussion of things from a drummer's perspective. Not Modern Drummer or anything, but we all know how important the marriage between bass and drums is and I want to hear what TOP drummers have to say about it.

Specifically, I've heard a lot of people talk about playing on top of the beat or behind the beat. I would love a FEATURE on this topic. I think I understand it, I think I can do it, but I want to know more - from both a drummer and bassist perspective. How to practice it etc. (I know about metronomes) :)

I'd love to see a dedicated column on music theory. I know a lot of the guys touch on it but it needs more attention IMO.

I would like to see some discussion on proper technique to avoid injury. Maybe some Dr. advice on what warning signs to look for and how to treat before it gets bad.

I'm working through tendonitis and I'm not sure how I got it. I'm a programmer by day and I play a lot of bass. I've cut back my practicing to let it heal but, that almost hurts worse.

Hey, just make the magazine bigger!! More pages, you know.

I think it would be cool too if you could download sound clips of some of the excercises. They could be from a private subs only area. With a published link in the magazine. E.g. Ed Friedland often has drum beats outlined - give us a MIDI file.

Anyway, I like the magazine and will continue to support it for as long as I play - which I hope will be the rest of my life. Keep it up. BTW, I love YOUR editorials. Thanks.

Bill Huang

14. well, that was nice. good to see a rep from the company show up and say howdy.

it's funny though... my wife has worked in magazine publishing, and you don't realize how many slip ups like that happen.

15. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    For what it's worth:
    I also subscribe to "Bass Guitar Magazine" (the one from England, not the stupidly same named Guitar World rag).
    Even though I always praise it's delivery to my door being much more consistant than Bass Player,
    If we were to keep score, BGM has way more editorial/proof reading blunders in a given 5 issue run than Bass Player ever did (and I've received both from the beginning).
    I love the mag, but BGM really needs some new editorial proof reading staff because they really miss some blatantly obvious stuff.
    I can only recall about 4 or 5 bad ones over Bass Player's entire history.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Bill,
    I can say that I definitely appreciate the recent attention given to high-end gear (the three 6-string fretless review, Elrick, Ritter, and two Bergantino reviews in the past few months), and would love to see this trend continue. Since the majority of high-end bass gear is not available in many areas, a lot of us have to buy without getting to play, which is a big risk when you consider all the money being put on the line. Also, highlighting more extended range instruments (6, 7, 8+ strings) would be benefical to your readers, as there is a lot of prejudice and misinformation about these instruments and their musical value out there.

Thanks for your interest in our questions! I've been a BP subsciber for about six years over an eight year period, and it's generally been improving and improving.

17. Bill, thanks for this opportunity to give you direct feedback. I would say to keep up a good balance of mainstream and non-mainstream stuff on the rock side of things. Articles on Duff McKagan and Steffan Lessard are fine, but what I really think is great is how you've recognized the bassists from bands like Thrice and Coheed & Cambria. This is thrilling music that people need to know about, but they'll never hear it on the local mainstream rock station. So, thanks for that. More album reviews would be cool, and "Working Stiffs" should be in every issue.
    Overall, though, thanks for a really good magazine that I look forward to seeing in the mailbox every month.

18. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Bill,

As a reader/subscriber to BP since the year I started playing bass (13 and 1990, respectively) I've been consistently impressed in the ability of the in-house staff to balance what everyone before me has typed. Some want more rockers, some want more jazz, and some even have the impudence to request coverage on the upright! ;) In general I'm quite happy with the recent issues, but I'll cite two particular examples from this month's;

Clatter's Amy featured in the "Cool Groove". Having the "Working Stiffs" column for us is nice enough, but having an "Average Jane" actually pass along a musical/teaching example? Very classy.

The SWR 750x review: Great review/write-up of what type of tones it can produce along with the effects and how they interact, testing with multiple cabinets in multiple musical genres and settings. All extremely helpful, and the topper? The sidebar test with the Megoliath, SWR's cabinet of choice for this particular amp. It showed what the amp could do when used with one of the products recommended by the manufacture, in this case the Megoliath's dual 4x10" capacity.

...oh, and the ad for Rush's "Feedback" on page 52 was a nice eye-catcher as well. :D

I do have two questions for you, if you have the chance to answer them.

1) It's been several years at least since there was a "Reader's Choice" poll. Was this eliminated for any particular reason, and is there any chance of it showing up again?

2) Way back there was a yearly subscribers polls as to likes and dislikes, basses played, etc. Has this as well been eliminated, or is it perhaps now done at random using the subscriber list?

Keep up the good work, and I'll keep renewing! :)

Ian Perge

19. You should have had a Rhonda Smith centerfold. :eek: :smug:

20. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston

+1. Agreed.