Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Latest Version of "What's the Best EUB?"

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Johnny L, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I searched for threads on Merchant Verticals, but all I got was "Azola floating tops rule". That's cool, but I do like that the Verticals are made-to-order.
    With NS and Alter-Ego, at least I can hear sound clips from endorsers.

Still, I'm wondering if it really matters much what EUB is the best nowadays with technology like what Roland is coming up with (V-bass and V-guitar). If all one has to do is plug into an effects box to get a rad acoustic sound, then would something like what Bill Merchant offers appear more appealing to doublebassists? Anyone tried Bill Merchant's latest version or use effects-box magic to compensate for a missing soundbox?

2. Steve Azola

Steve Azola Azola Basses

Jan 23, 2002
    San Diego, CA
    www.azola.com
    Greetings from the Azolas,

Just wanted to alleviate any possible confusion here, and address an issue or two.

Although there are some fairly "standard" Azola models, all the basses we build are, in fact, "made to order". We sometimes *wish* we had basses sitting on the shelf, but we consistently remain about 6 months backlogged. When our stocking dealers are deciding what to order from us, if it's not for a specific customer request, they usually want an instrument with a popular assortment of optional extras (position markers, certain type of finish, etc.). We are *not* a big factory cranking out 100 anonymous instruments a month. And our dealers aren't the "big box" stores that have a dozen basses stacked in shipping cartons in the warehouse ready to sell at heavily discounted prices. These critters just aren't that type of "commodity" item. We feel it's important to match the right player up with the right instrument. And we're usually quite intimately involved in that process. We just didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression from the comments in the previous post.

And a plea for patience and understanding as you continue in your quest for info and sound samples, etc -

A lot of EUB builders are probably working on demo CDs or something similar. Sometimes it's hard, if you're a small operation always busy building basses, to get those well-intentioned marketing projects done too ... like keeping the website updated and recording appropriate sound samples in a professional manner. Some of us are wary of the way basses can sound through the wrong set of computer speakers. Not everybody has the killer set-up, and we don't want our instruments to be misjudged because of bad speakers on the receiving end. And there's also the internet connection speed dilemma. Here at "Rancho Bajo" we're in a remote area and can't even *get* cable or DSL(we're sentenced to dial-up for who knows how long ... ugh!). Last time we looked into the satellite option it was still only recommended for PCs, not Mac. We know first-hand how frustrating it can be to wait for sound files to load. We also know that a lot of folks are still suffering this same fate. We have a plan coming together to address the sound sample issue nicely. Our project is pretty involved because we have so much variety within our little bass family. But we plan to have it ready by NAMM show time (January 2004).

You can get a lot of exposure to different instruments by listening to recordings by the professionals usually listed on the EUB makers' websites and in their literature. Most CD liner notes will tell you on which tracks a particular instrument is used. We can usually point folks in the direction of suitable recorded examples once we know what type of sound they're looking for, and what type of music the bass might be used for.

And we are big proponents of getting you guys out there in the world to support live music in your own communities. So try to catch some EUB-playing bassists when they come through your neighborhood on tour.

If you just talk with the people who build the basses that interest you, you'll probably end up with more music and information to consider than you hoped for.

Good luck, and have fun!

Sincerely,
    Jill Azola
    (for Steve, who's busy building basses, of course)

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I appreciate Azola's interest in having its product demonstrated under ideal conditions, but I see website soundclips pretty much exclusively as a bragging feature.

My understanding is that Azola offers high quality EUB's to the public. As soundclips of your basses are offered on your website, please do not be concerned by my poor-quality computer speakers. Not only would all the other EUB's I hear through them be subjected to the same treatment, but I think that the quality of your products would show regardless of my speaker arrangement.