Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the least amount of $$$ you have ever payed for a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Dec 3, 2000.

1. what is the least amount of money you guys have ever payed for a bass? i ask this because about 30 minutes ago my neighbor came over and said he was selling his squier p-bass for $40 bucks. this being a very good deal, i bought it. although im not a big fan of squier (nor fender for that matter) i still couldnt pass up the deal. have any of yall had similar expierences?

2. I paid $100 for my 1st bass from Guitar Center.. it was an Ibanez GTR50.. not bad at all! still have it =)

-Willzzzzzz

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Free. More than once. There have been some $20 -$100 ones too but...

As far as an actual cash deal, here's one from 15 years ago: 1968 Fender Jazz in excellent shape with Silvertone 2-12 tube amp for ...$125. I gave the amp to a buddy of mine.

I'm still kicking myself lightly over selling an extremely clean Howlin' Wolf 50's Kay single cutaway, single lipstick pickup, hollowbody bass that I found at a pawnshop in Baltimore for $50. I sold it for $150 but, seeing as to how I didn't need the money at the time and the bass wasn't bothering anyone, I have know idea why I did it. :(

[​IMG]
    I had one of these. No...that's not me ;)

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    1968 Fender JAzz and an amp for $125?!?!?!?! ***?!?!?!? WHERE DO YOU LIVE!! Maybe I can get some good deals!! :D

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    DM, I live in the Northern suburbs of Washington, DC. I truly believe I'm a weird deal magnet.

I just bought my wife a Palm Vx for $125 and a Miller & Kreisel V7 Mk II powered sub for $120 for one of my home theater setups. Yesterday I found a mint condition set of JBL 4408 Studio monitors... for $120:D

I can take them and maybe my $69 Polytone (insert big a$$ grin here) and trade them for something else I don't need. Who knows? I'll probably hang onto them, they sound great. I was thinking about replacing the Celestion SL6's (~$900 retail, $40 yard sale) with the JBL's but I don't know.

The $125 Jazz is the sunburst one. The 78 Ash Jazz was less than $500, is in great condition and they seem to be going for about three times as much.

I like looking around for gear, I guess the biggest thing I have working for me is that I know what I'm looking at, while most other people don't. Audio gear has been a hobby of mine for over twenty years so I've seen a lot. I have several sets of speakers in the basement that I need to set up, including a couple of sets of original DCM Time Windows and an original pair of Magneplanars, which I love the sound of. And a new Sunfire powered sub and some Adcom gear, etc., etc., etc.

And my wife never complains.
    Supersweet:)

6. $80 for a Metallic Hot Pink Peavy Foundation and i still own it, well $85 if you add in the paint striper

7. Recently I got a Harmony H-22 bass for $100.00. There have been others over the years, a graphite Steinberger for $300., an Alembic for $450. several Fenders that I was able to double, triple or even more on my money.

8. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i made a deal with my friend for his sisters jbass copy for @20 but i havent payed him :). i defretted it and it sounds cool.

9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    My first bass was a no-name with an aluminum (!) pickguard.

$45. (Of course, it WAS 1974...)

10. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    my first bass (MIM jazz) was, er, free. it was my brother's. I also got to use his Peavey Rage 158 with it. now that was a fearsome tonal combination.

and hey, Brad, if you see any vintage Precisions for $125, be sure to pick one up for me. I'll even come and pick it up! (I live about 2 1/2 hours from the DC area)

11. I paid $20 for my 1/2 size upright bass and about $230 more for an end pin, tailpiece, strings and a homemade pickup. It was blue and in very bad condition. It is now a gigging bass. I paid $40 for a headless Shaffer and Sons 31" scale bass guitar which goes camping a lot with me.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i wound up getting a bass from a friend for free..it was cheap and nasty and had a matchbox wedged into the neck joint to keep it straight...it was some big pieace oj junk, etronics were shot..i mean nasty...i wound up laying her to rest in a fire pit...lol...my 1st bass was a fender musicmaster, it was free to but my parents got it for me in 1985 for $135. the least i ever paid for one was a charvel $150 and even got a skb hardshell case with it off a friend that was strapped for cash

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I paid 150 bucks for a 72 Fender Tele bass in 1988 and Itraded it even for my mint 74 Fender Jazz last year. That was a nice turnaround the Jazz is a way better sounding and playing bass, the Tele had that big humbucker in the neck position sounded terrible, but it had a real nice neck.
    I must also mention that the Jazz had a price tag of 1200 bucks.

[Edited by Funkster on 12-04-2000 at 08:23 AM]

14. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    My first bass was a Sunfire or Starfire back in 1978… well something like that. Realy it was a POS. Anyway I paid about 78 dollars for the thing. Then moved on to a low end Peavy that I eventually sold for fifty dollars to a friend that still uses it.

Once I picked up an anvil flight case for fifteen dollars. It was for a fender of course. But I did not own one at the time. Shortly there after I got wind of a P-Bass going for $125 at a pawn shop, so I snapped it up. Sold the both of them together for about $150 because I did not appreciate Fenders at the time- I owned a Rick 4001 fretless at the time.

jc

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    $65 for a Danelectro Silvertone back in 1978, three years later I found the matching guitar version for $10.

Well, those days are long gone!

16. Steve Whitman

Steve Whitman

Sep 4, 2000
    Back in '74 I was badly in need of a bass, so my buddies agreed to cut a bunch of firewood to sell & get a bass. After searching all over town, we went to the flea market as a last ditch effort. On the last row of a very large market I found a '68 Fender Precision w/OHSC for $85! I still have her. She was just second hand when I bought her - now she's "vintage" ;-)

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I paid £15 for my first bass - or rather my Mother did! But unfortunately it was only worth that or less! I paid £1700 for my last bass and it is worth every penny, possibly more - so I consider the latter to be the better bargain! ;)

18. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Last month found a G&L El Toro for $65 in excellent shape, great paint and not a scratch.

19. 1/8th of hash for a crappy old P bass copy.

20. ~$150USD for a 60-something Mustang fretless bass. horrid tone, looks mighty cool as a wall hanging though! :)

many, many, many more bargains but in the electronic instrument bag...