1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

the least amount of $$$ you have ever payed for a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Dec 3, 2000.

1. what is the least amount of money you guys have ever payed for a bass? i ask this because about 30 minutes ago my neighbor came over and said he was selling his squier p-bass for $40 bucks. this being a very good deal, i bought it. although im not a big fan of squier (nor fender for that matter) i still couldnt pass up the deal. have any of yall had similar expierences?

2. I paid $100 for my 1st bass from Guitar Center.. it was an Ibanez GTR50.. not bad at all! still have it =)

-Willzzzzzz

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Free. More than once. There have been some $20 -$100 ones too but...

As far as an actual cash deal, here's one from 15 years ago: 1968 Fender Jazz in excellent shape with Silvertone 2-12 tube amp for ...$125. I gave the amp to a buddy of mine.

I'm still kicking myself lightly over selling an extremely clean Howlin' Wolf 50's Kay single cutaway, single lipstick pickup, hollowbody bass that I found at a pawnshop in Baltimore for $50. I sold it for $150 but, seeing as to how I didn't need the money at the time and the bass wasn't bothering anyone, I have know idea why I did it. :(

[​IMG]
    I had one of these. No...that's not me ;)

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    1968 Fender JAzz and an amp for $125?!?!?!?! ***?!?!?!? WHERE DO YOU LIVE!! Maybe I can get some good deals!! :D

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DM, I live in the Northern suburbs of Washington, DC. I truly believe I'm a weird deal magnet.

I just bought my wife a Palm Vx for $125 and a Miller & Kreisel V7 Mk II powered sub for $120 for one of my home theater setups. Yesterday I found a mint condition set of JBL 4408 Studio monitors... for $120:D

I can take them and maybe my $69 Polytone (insert big a$$ grin here) and trade them for something else I don't need. Who knows? I'll probably hang onto them, they sound great. I was thinking about replacing the Celestion SL6's (~$900 retail, $40 yard sale) with the JBL's but I don't know.

The $125 Jazz is the sunburst one. The 78 Ash Jazz was less than $500, is in great condition and they seem to be going for about three times as much.

I like looking around for gear, I guess the biggest thing I have working for me is that I know what I'm looking at, while most other people don't. Audio gear has been a hobby of mine for over twenty years so I've seen a lot. I have several sets of speakers in the basement that I need to set up, including a couple of sets of original DCM Time Windows and an original pair of Magneplanars, which I love the sound of. And a new Sunfire powered sub and some Adcom gear, etc., etc., etc.

And my wife never complains.
    Supersweet:)

6. $80 for a Metallic Hot Pink Peavy Foundation and i still own it, well $85 if you add in the paint striper

7. Recently I got a Harmony H-22 bass for $100.00. There have been others over the years, a graphite Steinberger for $300., an Alembic for $450. several Fenders that I was able to double, triple or even more on my money.

8. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i made a deal with my friend for his sisters jbass copy for @20 but i havent payed him :). i defretted it and it sounds cool.

9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    My first bass was a no-name with an aluminum (!) pickguard.

$45. (Of course, it WAS 1974...)

10. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    my first bass (MIM jazz) was, er, free. it was my brother's. I also got to use his Peavey Rage 158 with it. now that was a fearsome tonal combination.

and hey, Brad, if you see any vintage Precisions for $125, be sure to pick one up for me. I'll even come and pick it up! (I live about 2 1/2 hours from the DC area)

11. I paid $20 for my 1/2 size upright bass and about $230 more for an end pin, tailpiece, strings and a homemade pickup. It was blue and in very bad condition. It is now a gigging bass. I paid $40 for a headless Shaffer and Sons 31" scale bass guitar which goes camping a lot with me.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i wound up getting a bass from a friend for free..it was cheap and nasty and had a matchbox wedged into the neck joint to keep it straight...it was some big pieace oj junk, etronics were shot..i mean nasty...i wound up laying her to rest in a fire pit...lol...my 1st bass was a fender musicmaster, it was free to but my parents got it for me in 1985 for $135. the least i ever paid for one was a charvel $150 and even got a skb hardshell case with it off a friend that was strapped for cash

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I paid 150 bucks for a 72 Fender Tele bass in 1988 and Itraded it even for my mint 74 Fender Jazz last year. That was a nice turnaround the Jazz is a way better sounding and playing bass, the Tele had that big humbucker in the neck position sounded terrible, but it had a real nice neck.
    I must also mention that the Jazz had a price tag of 1200 bucks.

[Edited by Funkster on 12-04-2000 at 08:23 AM]

14. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    My first bass was a Sunfire or Starfire back in 1978… well something like that. Realy it was a POS. Anyway I paid about 78 dollars for the thing. Then moved on to a low end Peavy that I eventually sold for fifty dollars to a friend that still uses it.

Once I picked up an anvil flight case for fifteen dollars. It was for a fender of course. But I did not own one at the time. Shortly there after I got wind of a P-Bass going for $125 at a pawn shop, so I snapped it up. Sold the both of them together for about $150 because I did not appreciate Fenders at the time- I owned a Rick 4001 fretless at the time.

jc

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    $65 for a Danelectro Silvertone back in 1978, three years later I found the matching guitar version for $10.

Well, those days are long gone!

16. Steve Whitman

Steve Whitman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Back in '74 I was badly in need of a bass, so my buddies agreed to cut a bunch of firewood to sell & get a bass. After searching all over town, we went to the flea market as a last ditch effort. On the last row of a very large market I found a '68 Fender Precision w/OHSC for $85! I still have her. She was just second hand when I bought her - now she's "vintage" ;-)

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I paid £15 for my first bass - or rather my Mother did! But unfortunately it was only worth that or less! I paid £1700 for my last bass and it is worth every penny, possibly more - so I consider the latter to be the better bargain! ;)

18. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Last month found a G&L El Toro for $65 in excellent shape, great paint and not a scratch.

19. 1/8th of hash for a crappy old P bass copy.

20. ~$150USD for a 60-something Mustang fretless bass. horrid tone, looks mighty cool as a wall hanging though! :)

many, many, many more bargains but in the electronic instrument bag...