1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The least p sounding pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by oldcatfish, Apr 6, 2014.

1. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    Hey guys/gals,
    I have 3 p basses, and one of them is starting to have issues with it's electronics. So, since I need to open her up anyway, I was considering replacing the pickup with something even less traditional sounding. Something like a dimarzio split p, though I've never actually heard one. Or, if there's something else, I'm open to suggestions. It just has to be passive, so that I can change it out, if I don't like it.

2. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    If you want a really mid-rangey thing going on, then you'll love the original Dimarzio P.

If you want a less mid-gangey sort of vibe, simply have the existing pickup rewired in parallel.

Either of these will certainly not sound like a traditional P.

3. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    The split P is a brilliant pickup which you can also wire up to a push/pull pot for series/parallel options.
    In the same kind of ballpark as the Duncan quarter pounder P but more versatile and refined in my experience, really responsive.
    Doubt you'd be disappointed with it.

It's number 2 in this vid, a tiny idea of what you get but how YOU play and eq it will make the difference of course.
    Precision bass pickup shoot out: http://youtu.be/Z9-ADHWXlHk

4. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    Thank you for the video, it helped...I do like the split p, a lot.

I thought about just a basic repair, but the split p has a completely different sound to the current pickup. I'm not sure what is in the bass now because I bought it used from a local mom & pop music store that unfortunately went out of business. All the owner could tell me was that it was an aftermarket pickup, but he couldn't remember the type. It is a Peavey made in Korea milestone bass and the pickup has tons of mid-range (and more high end than any other p that I've tried), and is extremely high output. It easily clips most amps, and even many of the active inputs. I had to lower it way down to make it usable with my gear.
    And I still have to run the volume at 3/4 most of the time. It sounds a lot like the Dimarzio model p clips that I've heard, but it looks a little different.