1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

THE LEGEND OF THE RED RICKENBACKER!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cbass717, Sep 10, 2008.

1. cbass717

cbass717

Jun 30, 2008
    this was probably already a thread but anyways.....

i heard about the legend from a fellow bassist. i didn't believe him. i went home and looked online where i found 765434 cases of this accursed bass. does anyone know anything about this? Hoax or truth u decide.

the story goes....

:bag:

"Madness and demonic possession, the legend goes, comes in the elegant form of a blood red Rickenbacker bass. It was back in the summer of 1969, the Summer of Love, that the Red Rick possessed it’s first soul. Evan McCue, bass player for Fallic Fish was the first victim. Nobody knows where the bass came from, but Evan brought it to a gig at the Troubadour one night and played like he had never played before. But, his bandmates say, he became a different person. Within a few months, he disappeared altogether, never to be seen again.

The Red Ric passed through many hands; each owner, in turn, slipped into darkness, madness or worse — possessed by demons nobody can explain. Its terrible power could even be felt onstage by others. Some bands quickly fell apart once The Red Ric appeared, even though audiences would sometimes dance to the point of hysteria.

Nobody knows why The Red Ric brings madness, what evil possesses it or where it came from and officials at the Rickenbacker company flatly deny the very existence of such a bass. But the stories are all there. Year after year, bass players come into possession of a beautiful Red Rickenbacker bass, only to slip away."

taken from the theredrickenbacker.com

here is a pic.

http://theredrickenbacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/049.jpg

if you wana buy it on ebay (at least the same color) hahahahaha i found one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rickenbacker-4003-Red-Black-Bass-w-Case_W0QQitemZ140263699754QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140263699754&_trkparms=72%3A1163|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

2. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Thats not a 69 Ric :rolleyes:

3. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    Theres alot of these threads around, thing is Rickenbacker deny every making it, but one of their luthiers claims to have built the bass.

And screw it, If I could buy that, I would in a heartbeat, that thing is amazing looking, but with the mid PU ashtray on.

And also there isn't just the one...

4. cbass717

cbass717

Jun 30, 2008
    i just got the pic from the website. i also quoted them so its their bad

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    What an idiotic thread. :rollno:

But, at least it's not another P-Bass vs. Jazz Bass thread.....

6. cbass717

cbass717

Jun 30, 2008
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. it makes a good story at least. and i didnt make it up theres a whole friggin website dedicated to this

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    You keep saying that, and you keep using it as an excuse to absolve you of any blame. And yet, you're the one who posted it here.

BUT (you knew there had to be a but), at least this isn't another "Leo Fender liked my bass better than yours' thread.

8. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Why is this idiotic? He's just asking if there's any truth to it. I'm sure a lot of people are interested in this. Am I missing something? :confused:

Imaginary Pony likes this.
  9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    How the hell can there be any truth to it? The bass in the picture is a mid-80's 4003, for God's sake! Do you think it went back in time to warp the brain of the bassist from Fallic Fish? Was there even a band named Fallic Fish? Why didn't they call themselves Phallic Phish? Idiotic, I tell you!

10. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    I thought everyone had heard the tale? It's strange because the rickenbacker has a slightly red finish on the fingerboard as well. I can't remember if the inlays are red to match the bass, they might be. It's a good story, even if it's a little unlikely. Youtube has a video of someone buying a red rickenbacker, I wonder what happened to that chap ;)

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Wow, that must be gripping, especially the part where he pays the taxes on it.

12. I did a search and Evan McCue is alive- or at least he was in April '08. He is in the 8th grade and made the honor roll, however, the story can no longer be found. He could have reincarnated and again has dissapeared. Very mysterious!

13. lunker

lunker

May 27, 2008
    Houston
    It's just a silly hoax. Red Ric is "cirder " backwards, don't you see it?

14. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Wow, someone had piss in their cornflakes this morning.

Imaginary Pony likes this.
  15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
  16. cbass717

cbass717

Jun 30, 2008
    chill out its just for fun

17. AbbeyRolled

AbbeyRolled

Apr 21, 2006
    I have to agree. The guy who keeps calling this thread idiotic doesn't seem to mind coming back and checking it over and over again. Get over yourself. Go find a thread that interests you if this one is so offensive to your delicate tastes.

I thought the story was pretty amusing, myself.

18. Well, I'll tell you what.............

Look at this:

011-1-1.

Now, the story goes that when I bought this Ric...the angels descended from Heaven and said "Thou will LOVE this bass"....damn if they weren't right!!

If that Red Ric is possessed....send it to me...I'll do an exorcism on it and claim it as mine!!

BUHAWWWAA!!!

19. but which is better?!?!?!

20. cbass717

cbass717

Jun 30, 2008
    thanks man, me to