The legendary Eden Valvetech series, what happened?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by um... yeah, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Any Valvetech .25, .40,.75 owners still out there? :eyebrow:

I was just reminising about my previous amp, the venerable Eden VT .40, a 400 watter which came out around 1992 or so. This was the amp that created a huge buzz in the bass playing community and practically launched Eden into the market as a great sounding alternative to the "bells and whistles" approah to bass amps. About a year later, they dropped the design and starting making crap. Reliable crap, though.

There were some problems with the design of the amp which made it somewhat unreliable, and sure enough, after 6 years of total bliss, it upped on me and died.

To briefly describe:

The unit had switchable eq centers in the preamp section designed by James Demeter, a built-in dbx style compressor, and all passive tone controls and it sounded AMAZING.

Anyone still have this amp? Jus curious is all. :hyper:
  2. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I've been an Eden fan since the early 90's and know very little about the valve series...never encountered it in a playing situation...the "legend" is based on far more well known units such as the WT 300, 400 and 800...which is not "crap" as you so delicately described it. My WT 800 never hinted at a problem with consistent use from 1995 to 2002 when, like a complete idiot, I traded it for fancy pants high dollar rack stuff that did break down...a lot.

Nope, don't know nuthin' about the unreliable Eden valve series.
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I demoed a vt series with a 210T when they first came out and was floored. It sounded "perfect" though I never tried it with a band (couldn't afford it at the time).

I like their new stuff as well ...
  4. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Don't have one anymore, but I played a VT-.40 for about 4-5 years. Got it when they first came out. Sounded good enough, but I never got around to liking the EQ, much too subtle for my taste. Fortunately, it had a good flat tone so it wasn't necessary to tweak the EQ much to begin with.
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    A close friend of mine has one, he found it ultra cheap at a pawn shop. I've used it on a few gigs, and I personally like it's sound, plus it's very easy to transport. I don't believe it has an internal cooling fan(?), I remember the back has a sizeable heat sink/cooling fins. The only downside I can remember is that it seemed to lag slightly behind if I played a fast line, but I've never completely figured out how to operate it's eq.

All in all, it's a great little amp IMO.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I fart in your general direction.
    punchdrunk, Big String and johnpbass like this.
  7. I really got to like the EQ once I figured out what could be done with it. All the tone controls were inter-dependent so it had great flexibility. The one thing That needed improvement was the bass, it didn't have enough boost for me.

Dave Freeman at Club Bass was actually selling them at the time I bought it, and he was installing mods (at the behest of Eden) that gave it more umph. After that, I absolutely was in love with it. :crying: :crying: :crying:
  8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I dont know how exactly it is in English, I've only seen and only have the translated version, but

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  10. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Never had one but I know what you're talking about. That thing sounded phenomenal, leaps and bounds above anything they've ever made since then.

They pop up used every now and then. I saw one last year for about $500....and as usual I was totally broke. :D
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow, I never realized my Eden Metro is crap. If that is true, then I am completely satisfied playing through crap.

BTW.....if Eden is crap, where does that put Behringer? :D

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    and the "B" lives on
  13. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I remember that mod, I had it done to mine as well (assuming it's the same one). Eden sent me a small circuitboard and a schematic, and I had an amp tech install it... I forget what it was called, exactly. I frankly don't recall what it did exactly, but the EQ knobs had a bit more emphasis, particularly the bass, afterwards.
  14. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Some things are universal... :D
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Boo-Yeah!!! :D

16. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
  17. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm just not familiar with these, although I do like tubes. Eden & Demeter are certainly prominent names with strong followings.

My question though is, if they are quality amps, why so inexpensive relative to Ampeg/Mesa? What gives?
  18. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Simple, they don't inflate the price tag for "the name" quite as much as those 2 do. :D

Yeah, yeah, I know before you all slam me... "It costs alot of money to build something of that high quality. We use nothing but the best parts and the transformer alone cost yadda yadda." Sorry, but when you can buy all the components from Radio Shack and a few other electonics dealers, build a chassis in your basement, hand wire it up yourself with fishpaper and the like and still save a good $400-600 I don't buy that argument for a second.
  19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the other part of the equasion is the ampeg and mesa amps you are probably referring to are "all tube" amps which have a tube power section. The tube power sections are more expensive to produce which drives the price of those amps up accordingly.
  20. Around when I bought mine, the VT .40 was going for around $1200 new, not exactly my idea of "inexpensive". And This is in 1992. I would buy a used one without hesitation.

The new Eden stuff is just adequate, to my ears. The parametrics are especially mediocre; I'm refering to overall tone, not "flexibility". Maybe when I said "crap", some guys take offence, but this is my opinion and...hey... I'm entitled to it. :spit:

P.S. The VTs were hybrid amps, with two preamp tubes.