Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Legendary Sunn 300T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by americanmade, May 31, 2005.

1. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    I went to the Sam Ash in Lombard IL over the weekend to see a brand new Sunn 300T ticketed at $599. I was ready to get out my wallet immediately based solely on what I have heard about the amp and what it typically sells for. However, I made the very wise decision to plug in and test it out first. After trying two different basses and two cables and getting no sound except for a slight hum that was a bit louder than the bass unamplified, I decided to ask one of the employess for help because I figured I was overlooking something. The guitar department manager explained to me that this was just a bum unit they have sent for repairs everal times and has never been fixed. My disappointment was great as it would have been nice to at least hear the sound I've heard so much about. If anybody in the Chicagoland area knows a lot about repairing tube amps, you could definitely pick this one up for cheap.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Man, this thread totally depressed me. :D

If I were looking at fully tube heads, the 300T (or whatever model number Fender is making them under now) would be at the top of the list.

3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Legendary? :confused: Since when?

4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    The manager told you it had been out several times for repair & couldn't be fixed? What a moron. It must be nice to do so much business by accident that you can hire idiots like that to run the place!

5. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Funny to red this thread this morning.

I just received a mint condition SUNN 300T yesterday and tried it at rehearsal last evening.

I tried it with my Yorkville XC808 8X8 Cabinet.

Now, I understand why they say "legendary" !!!!

This Amp is a monster !!! It has so much power and versatility, it's unreal !!! The warmth obtained and punch is simply amazing. But, the best thing is the nice growly overdriven Tone you can get from the Channel 2, which can be blended with the other clean channel.

I slapped, played with a pick and fingerstyle and the amp does it all perfectly. Would like to try it with a 610, possibly a EDEN, but the 8X8 is exceptional too !!!

I have a gig next saturday and will give it a good try.

Definitely a keeper. Thanks T.L !!!!

6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    According to him, he had a couple of them blow up on him and another give him noise problems. He feels they are very problematic and has some very strong opinions of it in both tone and overall quality.

I'm sure he'll churp-in and tell you what he thinks.

If he happens to miss this particular thread and voices his opinion.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183077

TD

7. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I am very excited so far with the SUNN 300T and this thread just put a cold shower on my head !!!

Noise: not at all
    Tone: bring along any Ampeg SVT, Peavey Classic 400, Mesa Boogie 400, etc. and we will do some comparaison !!! I tried them all myself !!!
    Quality: If Fender is behind the company and still makes them, it`s reassuring. All Tube heads somehow need more attention than SS amps.

8. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    a sunn 300t w/ 2x15 that i demo'ed at a music store made 5 out of 6 basses sound awesome! it's on my GAS list!!!!!

9. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    And so I repeat... LEGENDARY :confused:

Just because you like the amp, it has many tubes, is the best you've had or you want to call it legendary doesn't make it so. I am not a fan of the SVT but I have to admit it IS a legendary amp; it has a tone which sets the benchmark for many, it is still sought out DESPITE its rapidly increasing cost (I'm talking vintage SVT's here not the modern "Classic") and it has built a cult around it which no other amp has.

The Sunn 300 is a decent enough amp but it has not been around enough, or proven itself as a tonal benchmark, that it should be called legendary. Calling it that is just grade inflation.

10. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    Sorry for my over-willingness to toss around the word legendary. I was trying to be ironic since the amp is supposed be a very good amp, but the one that I found was dead. I guess that flew straight over some peoples' heads.

11. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    That word gets tossed around here quite a bit. Legendary this legendary that... next thing you know my POS no-name practice combo will turn out to be LEGENDARY :eyebrow:

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Well, it could be Legendary for its crappiness. Legend doesn't always mean that somethings good. :D Billy The Kid is considered legendary, and he robbed people. :D

13. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Billy the Kid is considered legendary because he was famous and good at what he was doing, but what he was doing was not good !!!

Anyway, let's not start arguing words. I understand amercanmade for his initial statement. We all agreed that the Ampeg SVT is a classic, legendary or call it what ever you want, this is an amp that set a standard to which all SUNN, MESA, PEAVEY CLASSIC 400, TRACE ELLIOTT, etc. responded by making their own all tube amps.

I personnally tried them all. And, so far, my favourite choice is the SUNN 300T !!! Wy, because of its versatility and features. The compressor function, which can be applied separately for highs and lows as well as Comp gain, makes it really useful for slapping ( for me anyway ! ). I also dig the blendable two channels ( clean and dirty ) and this to produce a nice growly Tone, which I could not obtain with the Peavey Classic 400 or the Mesa ( maybe it's just me and the use of the Amps at the time, but I can say I gave these Amps a good try too ! ).

There is only one way to play with the SUNN 300T... and it is loud !!!

There are tons of great Amps out there. For this moment, and hopefully for a long time, the SUNN 300T will be my weapon of choice.

14. To be fair to the amp, while I hated mine, the guy who bought it loves it! That underscores the importance of trying something out for yourself and not relying on other people's opinion. For years in the 80's, the SVT was regarded as a "junk" amp, simply utilitarian like a Peavey. Everyone wanted a Hartke or Trace Elliot stack back then. It wasn't until the mid 90's that it began to aquire a "vintage" following. Blue book from as recent as a couple years ago valued a mint SVT at $500!

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Sounds like it's time for a trip through the "Way Back Machine!" :D

16. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I agree. What does not work for one might do the job perfectly for another one. As long as the Unit is made with quality parts and well built, then it becomes a question of taste, and I happen to like the SUNN so far !