1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Legends are Leaving Us

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Helix, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    The Legends are Leaving Us

Unfortunately the Legends are leaving us

We're getting to the age were some of the Greats are going away

Some of the people that made music great, are know longer here, or won't be here much longer here

Chuck
    Bowie
    Jackson
    To many to list

Man I'll really miss those guys....

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yup. People die. It sucks.

tekhedd, CooWoo, Ductapeman and 10 others like this.
  3. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Death ain't so bad.....Nice long kip......:sleep:

As long as the dying don't hurt too much....:nailbiting::dead:

4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    we'll all get there soon enough but it sure seems like people are dying at younger ages than they should...many in their 60's. I've lost a few friends who passed right around their 60th year, plus the various celebs that passed early in life.
    Seems like that shouldn't be happening with the medical technology we have today. But some illnesses just cannot be overcome.

gebass6 and Helix like this.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You say it like it's a new and bad thing. Geniuses have been dying for ever, leaving room for others. Life is precious because it's short.
    It's a better idea to think of all the geniuses who were born today or are yet to be born.

6. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    Yep....one of these days all we'll have left is.....well I don't want to say.....but the guys who made music great will be gone

Super Bass and gebass6 like this.
  7. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Their music doesn't stop being great once they're gone. There is no expiration date on art.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Are we talking about Monteverdi and Bach? They've been dead for a while and their music still gets played.

9. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

The Mozart thing really tore me up. But seriously, as long as talented people get a venue and leave something, anything, great behind, we all benefit. It may not be volumes, but quality over quantity. All artists run out of ideas.

10. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    I hear you my friend......but when Paul McCartney or Jimmy Page passes.....it will be a sad day

ICM, Alex Bass, superdick2112 and 3 others like this.
  11. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    pros not bros
    Look at it this way: they're making room. You could be next for success!

12. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    No one gets out alive.

13. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Baby boomers like Bowie and Prince were members of a large portion of the population. Our parents hooked up after WWII and so we represent a substantial portion of the pop world wide. The boomers are just entering the fall off age brackets where mortality increases.

Doesn't make it any easier to witness. Being an senior, retired and looking at my 67th bday coming up I am looking at the last 20 years of my life, probably, and trying to get in all the licks and kicks I can but the cabs are getting heavier and my knees ache.

Herrick, CooWoo, Ductapeman and 10 others like this.
  14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Their legacy lives on!
    I listen to the Ramones & Motorhead every day.

City, Rocker949, steamthief and 2 others like this.
  15. Jerry Garcia and Frank Zappa died in 1995 and 1993, respectively. Without trying to be rude, Jimmy and Paul have probably done a tenth of what Frank and Jerry would've done over these past 25 years. Though I agree, never nice for greats to have played their last note.

16. Yes, and they will continue to do so. However, on the bright side, new legends are being born everyday . . .

Ductapeman, drummer5359 and Double E like this.
  17. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    We're entering into a period when many of those groundbreakers and huge names in the entertainment industry will be checking out.

Something to be said for those who made their mark in music, film, television and sports in the 60s, 70s and 80s as that truly was a golden time for our country... a whole lotta good came out of that period. Glad I was around for it.

Today's young folks are stuck with the notion that Beyoncé, Justin Bieber and The Kardashians are something special. Tsk tsk...

CooWoo, Ductapeman and allenhumble like this.
  18. tr4252

tr4252

May 27, 2013
    Kind of a backhanded bit of consolation here, but the worthless no-talent hacks are dying off as well.

More nonsense from my personal tilted perspective; Keith Richards must've died years ago, but he is still hanging in there.

Tom

covermego and asands like this.
  19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Low84-
    ...just today, I turned two young folks (30s) onto "Hocus Pocus" by Focus, Buckethead (Col. Claypool yadda), & The Screaming Headless Torsos Live In NYC.
    They were blown away.

smeet likes this.
  20. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Yep, makes room for new ones.