the lesson of my life

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JustOpenYourMind, Sep 30, 2002.

1. yesterday I had the musical lesson of my life.

to start, I've been playing bass in punk bands for over a year and a half, everyone told me I was a very good bassist and I could play almost anything in punk.

but the thing is one of my friends hooked me with this bunch of metalheads

we started jamming and then i discovered the horrible truth I had the technique and all but I sucked as a musician they were all there throwing those crazy riffs and I could barely follow them.

I discovered that metal is really a melodic and demanding kind of music.
    from now on I will stop playing punk rock because I realize you cannot become a good musician by playing only that kind of music

Metal is the real thing, a complicated punk riff seems childish in a metal band situation

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's a bit of an oversimplification, don't you think? i mean, there are quite a few punk bassists who plow ian hill out of the water, right? ;)

keep an open mind to _all_ styles, and take whatever you can from whatever you hear. just don't ever stop challenging yourself - if you think you've got something mastered, that's the time to go hunting for something that you can't do.
  3. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Yeah, just because you can't play a metal riff doesn't mean you suck as a musician. Obviously you'd never played with a metal band before, so of course you wouldn't know what to do the first time. I think the problem is the definition of punk. If you listen to Blink 182, Sum41, or other "pop-punk" bands, sure you could think that punk sucks and the bass lines are simple and pointless. But if you listen to some of the older and "true-punk" bands, it's got some amazing stuff. I'm not a big punk fan, but the Dead Kennedys were one of my favorite bands a while back (my dad got me into them) They have a few great basslines, not to mention other punk groups.

I wouldn't give up punk so you can play metal, as john said, the more styles you know, the better and more creative you are/can become.
  4. just for the record i listen to pretty mucj all kind of punk rock

the exploited

I don't think that punk sucks I'm just saying musically it's just not for me anymore
  5. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Haven't listened to Maxwell Murder by Rancid, have ya?

Tell me that's childish compared to a metal band situation.

It's better to continue playing punk rock (especially if you enjoy it) and play metal in addition to it, not instead of it.
  6. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Play what you love, so you can play it with passion.
  7. bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    what ONLY said.

O and also. Listen to some ska punk like Opertion Ivy(freaturing Matt Freeman of Rancid) and others. Little off topic but if you ask me I like Op Ivy bass lines better even thou Rancid lines are harder. Op Ivy had ska lines which are real fun to play.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Metal comes to the salvation of punk. Praise god!