The LGBT Bass Players Club!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Jul 15, 2011.

1. @blastoff99 I'm curious what they think they can do. After all, you cannot stop people from outing someone. (Apart from education, but I don't think that's what's meant here.)

2. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA

I live in the state of Washington, which is generally considered one of the most progressive in terms of LGBTQ+. It is illegal to discriminate against someone in employment, housing, medical care, education, etc on basis of their race, religion, national origin, etc etc etc, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Some of these are federal laws as well (race, religion). A notable impact on employment is that an employer cannot ask 'Are you gay?' or require an applicant to list former names. In general, there are certain questions that employers are not allowed to ask, because the answers might reveal something about the applicant that could be used to discriminate.

There are holes in this. For instance, an employer cannot ask age, but can ask 'what year did you graduate high school?' Since the vast majority of us are 17 or 18 when we graduate, well, yeah, this could lead to age discrimination. But in general, employers are not allowed to ask 'Do you consider yourself Jewish?' or 'What race were your grandparents?' It sounds absurd to even think they could!

So it was a huge surprise to me that the *input* side of the state background check was information that my employer (probably, not provably) used to discriminate against me. How the heck did they even get that? I submitted my info (including previous names) to the state, not the employer! For months, I've wondered 'If it isn't ok for an employer to ask certain questions, how come the state is handing them the answers?'

You're right that I can't stop anyone from outing me. It isn't nice, but it also isn't illegal. But I sure didn't expect the state to do it. Without getting into too many details, the state background check system has a hole you could drive a lorry through, and this employer used the information that the state unnecessarily, wrongly, and perhaps illegally provided them to do something they shouldn't have.

Technically, the bad actor here was the employer. But they were also smart enough to not come straight out and say 'Yeah we found out you're LGBTQ+ and decided we don't want you after all.' I would never be able to prove anything. But the state gave them the information they used to be bad actors. They would not have had it, or known anything about me, otherwise. That's totally not ok.

So my quibble here is with the state. Yes, the employer did a specific bad thing, but the state's system not only let them do it, but handed them what they needed TO do it. Grrrr.

3. PunkKitty

PunkKitty Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Strange two days. As some of you know, I often buy guitars from pawn shops, fix them, and then resell them at a profit. It's just a bit of extra cash for me.

Yesterday I needed to get out of the house, so I drove into the city to visit the shops. My travels led me to a shop on the south side of Chicago that I visit from time to time. I came across a beautiful instrument in good condition. I couldn't connect to my bank to check my finances, so I went home to do some research on the year and authenticity. I called the shop and they said they would hold it for me until today.

So I go to the shop, I'm talking to one of the clerks I spoke to yesterday. They returned the guitar to the wall and did not hold it. An older African American man was sitting on the floor playing it. I struck up a conversation with him. He decided to buy it.

What could I do? For him it was a dream guitar. It was also a dream guitar for me, but realistically, it was a product that I intended to resell. I could have easily doubled my money. But I'm not going to stand there and try to outbid him. It's not his fault that the shop returned it to the wall. So I wished him peace and said good luck. I'll find something else eventually.

The guitar was a 1962 Gibson ES-125 in excellent condition for its age. Such is life.

4. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    Frustrating, but you're a good person.

5. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    A step forward, a step back...

The state medical commission last week met and determined that the transphobic urologist violated no laws. I'm not surprised; the thing came down to 'I said / they said,' and I'm sure the doctor and his two office peeps had plenty of time to get their story straight before presenting it to the commission. Even if I had recorded the conversations (which would have been illegal without the consent of the other party), the office people were pretty careful with their words and there was probably a sliver of doubt left as to whether or not I was really refusal to treat over gender identity. I mean, there's no doubt in my mind, but I can't PROVE it.

And even if she had said 'We don't accept trans people as patients,' she could have denied it later. This one really had no chance, which means that more subtle forms of discrimination are super easy to get away with. I'm not especially even upset about this, partly because I figured on this outcome and partly because the guy is a big enough jerk that most people in this town know to steer far clear. That doesn't help patients with transportation or other issues, unfortunately.

I could get the entire report to see what he said to cover his butt, but I doubt I'll bother. I'm sure it's a pile of lies that I won't be able to do anything about, so why bother?

In cheerier news, I'm sending off an email to the state senator's assistant, thanking her for her help with the background check issue. That one isn't resolved, but at least it moved in a good direction.

6. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    ^^^It never, Ever hurts to say ‘thank you’...Especially to people who are not used to hearing it.
    Betcha she’ll remember you fondly! ✌

7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Just for fun, here's my latest quarrantune. Another "Klezmer on fretless bass" video. Get happy!

8. Bring that little one to the computer.

8dbdfa80b6c83b1d7662d19d3242201d.png

You can have one too.

8dbdfa80b6c83b1d7662d19d3242201d.png

9. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
  10. the harp unstrung

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    C4E8EDE9-EE58-41ED-AC33-D8AD56B4EF68.jpeg

Hover-Rich and kesslari like this.
  11. PunkKitty

PunkKitty Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Gotta love FaceBook. I get a 24 hour ban for calling out a transphobe. Transphobes can spew all the lies and hate they want without penalty. Next time I'll just tell them to go shag themselves in more eloquent language. Sadly, the person I tell to do that will likely not comprehend the wording.

Bushmaster, equill, kesslari and 5 others like this.
  12. YawningJorin

YawningJorin

Feb 14, 2020
    Stockholm
    Major social media is a lost cause. The reality of the situation is that your moderation team has to scale linearly with userbase in order to maintain quality. But that costs money, so why would they bother

13. the harp unstrung

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Here’s a story this old white guy’d never heard before. :thumbsup:

4906EB2F-C44D-4138-AF7E-9E1D212CE27C.jpeg
    4F6044AA-496F-4CBA-89F9-35A9B01F177C.jpeg

042A10BB-8A35-4AC9-A130-19B66A42E40E.jpeg

14. the harp unstrung

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    ...and a happy, Soulful Sunday to you & yours, from me & mine...

PunkKitty, Pendulous and kesslari like this.
  15. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Guest

Sep 11, 2007
    At times I am tempted to think nothing really has changed since the days of my childhood and youth. When I am all too obviously suffering, clearly I am the problem because I do so without any reason considered "legitimate". Why can't I just be nice*, shut up and pretend everything was ok? :(

*Yes, to some, compliance with heteronormativity obviously is a matter of being nice :banghead: Ok, so obviously I'm not exactly a nice person :rollno:

It seems some think they were deprived of their privileges (privileges? which privileges? :eek:) when others are granted rights. Guess we saw that last week in the debate surrounding the prospected "Ley trans" (trans law) in Spain, a bill intending to achieve certain alleviations.

Most sadly, I have to answer I am completely clueless as to how societal change really works. Of course, many people have achieved quite something, esp. in the past 50-55 years. It is just me feeling like a complete failure because I have not been able to obtain any such thing as happiness. But maybe I was born 2500 - 250,000 years late :bawl:

equill and Hover-Rich like this.
  16. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    That tune probably should have an umbrella cockatoo as back up dancer...greys are just a little reserved.

the harp unstrung and kesslari like this.
  17. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Yeah, if I had a cockatoo I'd have done that, but you dance with the one you brought :D
    Bringing this bird excursion back a little bit to gender preference, apparently Condor triples are not unheard of.
    Condors' love lives are probably more interesting than yours

Bushmaster and the harp unstrung like this.
  18. Hover-Rich

Hover-Rich Commercial User

Jan 21, 2018
    Craig, Colorado
    Hover Harness, LLC
    Hello, Bushmaster. I'm sorry that you feel like a failure. There is a big difference between failing at things (which we all do many times a day) and being a failure. We just have to keep picking ourselves up and trying again. Just like a baby learning how to walk. Fail, fail, fail .... not accepting failure .... then getting up and taking a step, then another, then another.
    Peace and happiness are not to be found in all the things outside of us, we find them inside of us. It is there and we can experience it.

19. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    hmmm...MUCH more interesting

20. How’s everyone here holding up? Politicians being stupid about a pandemic has been the defining factor of my last couple of weeks. Truth be told, people asking for lifting of measures by now grate more on my nerves than the measures themselves. That’s after a 70 % loss in revenue 2020 compared to 2019, so that’s saying something, I think. But, well. I won’t get too political.

Anyhow, wanted to share something – friend of mine and his bass-centric band would have celebrated their 20 years anniversary, but well, we all know how that went. But I still think their quarantine video rocks, so, there you are:

equill, Hover-Rich and Bushmaster like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021