The LGBT Bass Players Club!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Guest

Sep 11, 2007
    There's surely more interesting lifestyles out there with other lifeforms, just that many of these probably were not easily accessible to me. I'm a bit inhibited and conservative (for local standards), so I probably wouldn't be able to feel very comfortable with some of human cultures, too.

I was lucky to have an extended family around me for the first 12 years of my life, and I still think this is a great support structure (even if they do not achieve this by means of group sex :rolleyes:). (Then my dad relocated with just us kids and our stepmother, providing us with a culture shock :()

Thank you very much for your kind words. Of course, in a sense I know this. It is just that the outside world at times keeps being a source of frustration.

More specifically, I was thinking of my situation during the 1990s. People at times seemed a bit euphoric about the achievements of (pan-) queer activists, which lead me into thinking my life would change for better if I tried to be open and out. But actually no one cared :( Obviously I was stuck in some unfavorable social environment :nailbiting:

I've been shocked at the irresponsible behavior of many people, by far not only politicians, for about a year now :(

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    equill, kesslari and Hover-Rich like this.
  2. PunkKitty

PunkKitty Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2014
    This is the view from my front door in Chicago right now. There is easily 18 inches of snow on the ground. We are supposed to get another 10 to 15 inches from this storm. I HATE WINTER!

img_20210215_215545553-jpg.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  3. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    In the wake of Filomena, you have my sympathy. This sucks.

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That's very, very white...

Roger W likes this.
  5. Over here, the white is quickly disappearing. A week ago we had some 9 inches of snow overnight and my day job as chauffeur suddenly took on a "zen" aspect.

But now most of it is gone and I'm surprised how melancholy that makes me. Oh well.

Bushmaster and the harp unstrung like this.
  6. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Today my (cis) daughter and my (trans) grandson, who will be 15 this May, are moving to AZ (Phoenix area). Economically it is a chance for better opportunities for them (cost of living in coastal CA is astronomical). I just hope that Dirk does OK and doesn't face a lot of crap as he adjusts to a new town.
    And dang, I will miss having them close by.

7. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I hope it works out for them. Frankly, this is not a time I would want to be in the United States, being trans. My fingers are crossed.

ChiliBass, equill, Pendulous and 4 others like this.
  8. One of my former boyfriends lived in Yuma, and I found that town and Phoenix as well quite queer friendly, not to mention Sedona. That was back when gay sex was still pretty much outlawed (1999/2000), so in lights of what came to pass since then, and especially since 2014, I guess they’ll be fine. More than fine, even. Godspeed to both of them!

(Mind, said ex boyfriend has moved to California since then, for career reasons mostly, but also, well. He and his husband are much happier there, he told me.)

9. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Yeah no, things are not ok here right now, and sadly I don't think they're gonna be for awhile. The US is not the first world nation it used to be.
    Trans people are being murdered at higher rates than ever before and being constantly attacked. We have a collapsing oligarchy of a government run by the countrie's wealth class which is currently devided into two parts. One who wants to ignore the obvious forgo change, forgo it's people and have business as usual, business over all. And on the other side we have a white supremacy based cult set on domination and to rid us all of anyone not like them.

We're still in the grips of covid and have seen next to no support, inocent people are dying living on the streets fighting in the streets.
    Here in Denver (considered one of our more prosperous cities) we have more homeless than ever due to our government that told us to stay home but said best of luck with the bills.
    The police preform regular sweeps of the homeless throwing away belongings and offering beatings "camping" is illigal here, so they get away with it. The list goes on and on and on.

Before all this I had a good job (for here anyway my pay was poopie) I worked on amps and felt I was a pillar in our local music community, it was a job I had fought my life for after all being a professional musician in any form is not a career that is easy to rise to.

That's all gone now, I'm lucky that my wife earns a megar income and that I have had the privlage of being a burden to her. Between that and the couple hundred dollars I can pull a month has scraped us by, I say lucky because most are not I've had a grandmother and two friends pass this year and that's just what I've caught wind of, I've stayed out of a lot of people's lives lately and too they've stay away from mine. We're all afraid of what we'll hear we're afraid of covid we're afraid of civil war. We live in fear here, it's far from ok.

I say I'm lucky because I've been at the bottom before in my life. I've seen the brink of death and in turn watch as someone not too unlike myself died right in front of me those were more prosperous times, if it were today I don't feel I'd be writing you all at this moment.

10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ Samantha- What a sobering view from the inside. I'm trans living in Canada (and thanking my lucky stars every day) where we are much more at best accept, and at worst ignored. My friends in the States tell me things that make my hair stand on end. I truly feel for you. From all reports it's backsliding, not get getting better. My trans friends in west Virginia say they have gotten to the point they are not fighting for any rights other than to not be murdered. There is little I can do to help, but be assured you, and all like you, are in my thoughts, and maybe some day the country will wake up and realize you are not the enemy.

11. PunkKitty

PunkKitty Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2014
    I went to visit my aunt today and she gave me this. When my parents emigrated from Germany to Chicago in 1953, they joined a social club. Ethnic social clubs were common then. This is a recording of the social club chorus that my father sang in. He is on the this record. He passed 11 years ago. I will treasure this.
    9726_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=E1nM34IW_fEAX_OaoxA&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

Roger W, Pendulous, equill and 7 others like this.
  12. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Bushmaster likes this.
  13. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Wooooah!
    Punk!
    Breathtaking!

I hope generations to come will appreciate it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bushmaster likes this.
  14. Fantastic! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Get it recorded into digital format to preserve the sound forever and share it with family.

PunkKitty likes this.
  15. Jainarayan

Jainarayan

Jan 28, 2021
    Ok, I’m in. :) Most people who know me on the ‘net under any or all of my pseudonyms and/or real name and in real life know I bat for the other team. I mention it when it’s relevant, like now in this thread, but I don’t really “advertise”. It’s just another part of me, a personal characteristic or attribute like being short, chubby, bald and bearded, and a PWS (Person Who Stutters), all of which I am. My family, friends, coworkers all know. They’ve accepted me and my husband. I admit and appreciate, that I am grateful and lucky I’ve never experienced the sort of horrid things other LGBTQ persons have. I hope a generation comes along and says about it “People did what to other people?” and shake their heads at such ignorance.

16. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Guest

Sep 11, 2007
    Oh yes, here, here, me too :hyper:

Who assigns numbers these days?

Good on you :thumbsup:

(Well, seemingly I for one was slightly less lucky :eek:)

Various societies develop at different paces. I find most interesting societies who still are dismayed at the inter-/trans-/homophobia displayed by many (though not all) modern mainstream societies :thumbsup:

17. YawningJorin

YawningJorin

Feb 14, 2020
    Stockholm
    I'd almost say I'm of that generation. I've grown up in an era of peace and progression not only in Sweden but mostly throughout Europe as well. Only in the last decade have wars and regressive policy become something my generation has witnessed here. But it still hasn't affected me much personally, save for poor healthcare as a result of budget cuts. Though I can see the bad things done in the past here, and the bad things being done in the present elsewhere, I only have an intellectual connection to it. I can barely imagine what it would feel like to live under the appalling conditions all too many people suffer under, whether we're separated by time or by place. I can only hope that everyone gets the same privileged detachment as I do at some point.

18. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Friend Kesslari...
    You genuinely touched my heart with that last line.
    I would be a #?€£[email protected] Wreck without my granddaughters to hold.
    All the Best Beams from me n mine, to you n yours! ✌

19. Annnnnd here we go:
    Jainaraian, you're 135.
    Bushmaster, you're 136.
    Welcome, both!

20. Oops, I misspelled you, Jainarayan!

Sorry.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021