1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The LGBT Bass Players Club!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Jul 15, 2011.

1. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    I have some good news to report...I think. My state, Iowa, currently has one party in control of both houses of the legislature, and the governor's mansion. A lot of seriously reactionary laws regarding labor, immigration, and other topics have been passed. Despite that, all FIFTEEN of the Anti-LBGTQ bills proposed in this year's session failed to even get out of committee, and died. Hanging on.

2. Keeping fingers crossed!

The situation here in Switzerland has improved somewhat last year, when parliament and the people voted to broaden the definition of “marriage” (which for some reason is in our constitution) to include same-sex couples. They’ve been dragging their collective feet due to Covid, though, making actual laws out of it. And one of our major parties still tries to double down with above mentioned constitutional “marriage” definition. You see, “marriage” is in the constitution, but not defined as a same-sex, OR opposite-sex thing. They want to put the opposite-sex definition in there, using, of all things, amendments to our tax laws to do so.

Thankfully, it doesn't look like they can pull this off. Trying to pull this off again, I might add; last time they tried, the opposition via popular vote was so large that, well, let’s just say the party has changed its name since then.

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
  4. Bassiclees

Bassiclees Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2020
    @PunkKitty I picked up an HB 'Thunderbird-ish.' The build and sound is astonishing and somehow it got from Germany to Los Angeles in 3 days. Absurd value for a >$300 instrument. It is, however too heavy to be played for any amount of time and the neckdive is severe. I bet your Ric-ish will rock.

5. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    @PunkKitty Ric bridge pickup with rounds is an amazing tone to have, one of my favs.

6. rutrho

rutrho

Mar 29, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    My work unblocked TB so i'll prob be posting here a little bit more, heh. I was out in CO last week for work and wrote some stuff out there (drug my fretless along for the ride) but mann..... snow sucks.
    Not sure if what I wrote will ever make into something because its friggen dark but uh, yeah. Winter/snow/etc takes me to a bad place rather fast...

7. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Yay for you being here more. And for more fretless!
    Snow - meh. You know what really sucks? Quicksand!

8. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    Between goths and metalheads, there's plenty of market for friggen dark stuff. Just saying :)

the harp unstrung and Bushmaster like this.
  9. rutrho

rutrho

Mar 29, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    I'm a huge metalhead, and its sort of already in that theme... but honestly, its darker than something I'd want to try to record or perform.

10. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    Is it something you'd be good with somebody else recording or performing? It sounds like you hear promise in the material, so this could be one way it gets out.

And now I'll shut up and stop helping :)

11. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    Checking in to say Howdy to everybody. Not much new in my particular corner of the yard. Just trying to be encouraging to the parents of trans / NB kids in my broader circles. I can hardly imagine how difficult this is right now for them.

So what's good in your world? Today I attended (zoom) church outdoors (Earth Day Sunday) and the hummingbirds were quite upset that I was so close to their feeder. Ungrateful little beasts!

12. mikeoso

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Hummingbirds are remarkable animals in many ways, but they are short on social graces

13. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA

Indeed.

However. Over the five years I've lived here, they have gotten less short on the social graces. At first, they wouldn't come anywhere near the feeder if I was anywhere outside. Gradually they got less freaked, and I assume the originals are gone by now. The guy who wintered over was quite possessive of his feeder but also extremely cheeky about it. I had massive rain drain system work done in November, and the sump pump is right below the feeder. He hung out and yelled at the strangers all day. When he wanted to go to the feeder he did, no matter who was near it, and then he'd fly into guys' faces and let them have it. He wasn't so aggressive with me. In fact, if I was outside he'd sit on a wire and talk to me the whole time. He was very vocal. He'd come to the feeder and hover if I was standing on the porch. All in all, he was very companionable.

He also did something I've never seen or heard of. Multiple times I would be in the living room and hear an oddly sharp BANG on the glass. I'd hustle over there expecting to see a half-dead bird on the ground, but no - just 'my' hummingbird tapping on the window to get my attention. This is unheard-of behavior from them, says my friend the bird expert. But he did it repeatedly, including once on the dining room window when I was sitting right there at the table. That was a much lighter tap, maybe because I was already visible. When I looked up, he hovered for a long time and chattered at me. I told him I was glad to see him.

Haven't seen him for a month. I hope he's ok. I have two new pair, but it's not the same.

14. Wonderful story, blastoff, thanks.

Someone very dear to me came out as ace. As it happened there was no opportunity to talk about it, and I feel I want to contact them but am not sure what to say. On the one hand I keep wondering: how do you go about this when in a relationship? On the other hand I don't want to ask, because it's rude to ask people about their sex lives. This person is in a relationship that certainly looks solid and tender. The two of them have been together for years, and have lived together for at least a year. We see them exchange the sweetest looks, and they're cuddling all the time.

At the least I want to make it clear I'm supportive even though I'm not sure what that entails.

I'd value your thoughts.

15. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Not at all sure what ace is. Asexual? I know a lot of couples where sex is not a cornerstone of the relationship, and where one partner or the other could easily be asexual. It doesn't seem much odder to me in a relationship than other ways of being.

16. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    Nothing odd about it. Us straights call it "marriage." I'll show myself out ...

17. TRNSGRL

TRNSGRL

Dec 19, 2020
    Manchester, NH
    Not all asexuals are the same. Some are okay with sex even though they don't experience sexual attraction, others are entirely sex-repulsed. Many that I know personally are into other forms of physical intimacy, like cuddling. It's entirely possible for someone who is Ace to have a healthy and loving relationship with the right partner.

18. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    Correct: it's short for asexual.
    A related abbreviation you'll run into is "aro," short for "aromantic" - lack of interest in, or desire for, a romantic relationship.

The easy trap here is that the relationship (as it were) between these is the lack of desire for something. I gather there's not much correlation between being ace and being aro.

instrumentalist and Bushmaster like this.
  19. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    They seem quite different to me. I had no idea what "ace" as an abbreviation was, except that @instrumentalist 's post made it clear that it was associated with sex.
    Where I went - "maybe someone how likes roleplay as a world war I fighter pilot..." Snoopy - "here's the WWI flying ace downed behind enemy lines. He sees a pretty French girl out standing in a field. Ah, mon cheri, I need a place to hide... ah, mai oui, mai oui... "
    :D :D

Bushmaster and equill like this.
  20. mikeoso

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Doesnt seem to me that comment or expressed support is called for, unless requested. I never think anyone's sex life is any of my business unless they bring it up. People should be able to be who they are without other people telling them it's ok. If I have the right to approve of someone's relationships, that kind of infers the right to disapprove, which I dont think is right. Nobody has ever asked me if it's ok for them to be (gay, bi, Ace, whatever), so why would I express an opinion?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021