1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The LGBT Bass Players Club!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Jul 15, 2011.

1. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    On one hand, I agree, but... in an atmosphere of lots of disapproval of anything other than the approved range of libido combined with the approved orientation, it can be reassuring to hit a pocket of "it's OK by me."

2. Firstly, sorry for being vague using "ace". I am sometimes rash to think that if I know an English term (it is not my primary language) then all native speakers will know it. Which of course isn't necessarily true.

Then, thanks all for your insights. The thing is, I want to contact them, I want to be available for talking. I don't want to come across as ignoring that moment, and thus ignoring the person. So maybe I should just say that. :)

@TRNSGRL I see that you're new to the forum, and this is your first post. So: welcome!

3. TRNSGRL

TRNSGRL

Dec 19, 2020
    Manchester, NH
    That's valid, and I think that's a nice way to respond.

Thank you! :)

Been lurking around for a little while, but don't usually have much to say.

4. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Sure. It's just that, when you're a cis guy of my age, it's really easy for offering support to look like you think you have the right to decide what's ok...which has been a big problem for a long time.

DrMole, kesslari and equill like this.
  5. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    Sadly, that's entirely valid. As a cis guy of a similar age, I know that feel.

I'll put that question to the non-cis-males in the room: any advice on how to offer support without coming across as creepy and/or a self-imposed arbiter of what's OK?

6. Hey all, I’m new! As an afab transmasculine nb who is ace (gray ace to be specific), I’d just want someone to acknowledge it, say it’s cool with them and they’re here to talk about anything if I need it. Especially if they have friends/family who are ace/trans, etc. I’m not out yet irl cause even some cis gay people can be weird about trans and ace rights or want to pry into discussing bodies & sex which is not ok by me. But if someone already knows people like me and mentions it, they are more likely to be safe to talk to.

7. TRNSGRL

TRNSGRL

Dec 19, 2020
    Manchester, NH
    Welcome! :)

8. Thanks I’ve read TB for a while but just made an account recently. So glad this thread is here too!

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
  10. Thank you!

11. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    I’ve been wanting to share, but afraid it might come off as bragging/self aggrandizing...& that’s not my style...still

1st day at OT, coming back from trigger finger surgery...in walks Mike.
    Big Ups all around!
    I’m the only person in the room who doesn’t know Mike!

He jumps up on the Occupational Therapy bike and chats with Everyone...I’m included!

He’s still on the bike when I finish my session...gotta walk right by him as I leave...he says “I noticed your cap right away.”
    I’m wearing my Atlanta Braves Pride cap.
    I reply...”I’m an ally.”

He responds with “Well you’re the kind of ally we need, brother...someone who doesn’t mind being SEEN.”

“I’ll see ya next time, Mike!”

made my freakin’ Week!

Ain’t Braggin’, no way...just happy to have met Mike.

I wear that cap alla time.

GregC, Roger W, Sascha Erni and 7 others like this.
  12. PunkKitty

PunkKitty Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Welcome. There are several trans people in this group (including me). I do a lot of mental health volunteer work for LGBTQIA+ people in Chicago.

Hover-Rich, GregC, blastoff99 and 4 others like this.
  13. slapshot

slapshot

Dec 22, 2018
    SE Michigan
    Hi, everyone.

I could use some help. My ward just came out as non-binary to his mom. He has an offer to attend Michigan Tech University, and is questioning what the LGBT Community is like at Tech. If anyone has contacts in the Houghton Mi area, or can give us some idea about how to look into the culture at MTU, please send me an IM or email. Thanks, all.

Hover-Rich and kesslari like this.
  14. Cool with me. ;) Welcome!

weird_hermiston likes this.
  15. Still waiting for my first Coronavirus shot. Switzerland really is bungling this pandemic.

53ECEEFE-E297-4DE5-A527-3A49B22BC636.jpeg

What’s the situation on your end? Availability a given? Or iffy?

blastoff99, equill and Hover-Rich like this.
  16. Most of the elderly have had their first shot, many a 2nd one as well. I'm too young, only 53, so I'm still waiting.
    All the while I should have thought my profession qualifies me for early treatment, but the government evidently doesn't think so. (I'm a chauffeur. I drive the elderly, the handicapped, the vulnerable. Ten to twenty people enter my van every day.)

17. Ya, you should be on the early list. :meh:

Here in the United State of Oregon, military veterans were getting theirs early at the Veterans Hospital. Medical and "Front Line Workers" people that work with the general public got them at hospital sites.
    Now The General Public can get it, besides hospital clinics, they have set up sites in communities.

Some large manufacturing plants that have big parking lots have been set up as vaccine sites on the weekend.
    Schools on the weekend also, they set up tables in their gymnasium. As well, grocery stores that have Pharmacies are also taking the general public.

Just find a site near you on The Vaccine Website and pick a time to sign up for.
    These are not really appointments at the large sites, more a block so there is not a rush at once for the pop up vaccine sites. Got my appointment for three days later, The Wife got one for the next day at the local grocery store, that was more of an appointment, low number site.

I went to a School last week and got mine.
    In the hallway they have you fill out paperwork, name, address, current condition of health.
    Then make your way into the Gymnasium, where there was about 8 tables where you go to get your shot.
    After your shot you get a piece of tape with a time on it, there are chairs spread around on the other side for people to sit in for about 15 minutes (time on your tape) to see if you have a reaction to the shot before you leave.

I did not sit in the chairs and found a empty space near the Weight Room away from people and watched two clinic people at a table near pre fill the needles with the Moderna shot.

Just before exiting they handed me a white plastic bag with two large bottles of Hand Sanitizer in it. One large bottle of a gel in a pump type and one of a liquid made by a local whisky distillery as well as a paper flyer with stay safe information.

18. PunkKitty

PunkKitty Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Sorry to hear that. I received my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine 3 weeks ago. FWIW, I'm in Chicago.

19. TRNSGRL

TRNSGRL

Dec 19, 2020
    Manchester, NH
    Here in New Hampshire, within the United States, things seem to be going well. I'm not aware of anyone in my friend circles (which include people in the their 20's - 50's from all lines of work) who doesn't have their vaccine at least scheduled at this point. I got my second shot this past Tuesday. My state has also put on multiple large vaccination events with the "one and done" Johnson & Johnson vaccine to get folks vaccinated more quickly.

20. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Just got my second shot this past Thursday here in Colorado.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021