The LGBT Bass Players Club!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Jul 15, 2011.

1. I had my second pfizer dose in late March. We have plenty of available slots fo getting vaccines in my state because so few people are getting them. :bored:

2. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    I'm in the Madrid region (just out of the city) and not on the public health system because my residence permit requires full private coverage. I'm... keeping an eye on developments, and adapting as best I can to being long-term mostly-housebound.

Sascha Erni likes this.
  3. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    So after almost a year of unemployment/ trying different things I think I found my new home.
    Working as a QC/tester for WM devices. If you're not familiar, they do mostly modular synth stuff and pedals. Today will be day three and I can't even begin to describe how good it feels to be excited about work again. I believe everyone here is a musician and more or less on the same wave length so it's all great folks to be around.
    Really nice professional equipment and environment.

So yeah just thought I'd drop that bit of good news, it may be slow but it seems things are getting better, and I'm freaking happy for it :)

Haroldo, DrMole, Roger W and 20 others like this.
  4. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    That sounds like the best time!
    I'm so happy you've found something that works for you. I hope it just keeps getting better.

kesslari and SamanthaCay like this.
  5. @SamanthaCay Congratulations on the new job. I'm happy to hear this.

@TRNSGRL and @weird_hermiston The two of you are now official club members here:
    TRNSGRL #140
    weird_hermiston #141

6. That is super great news! I have a small single voice unit I made with modules from the WMD/SSF collaboration. The spectrum oscillator, state variable filter, and an ADSRVCA. I really appreciate the quality in these modules both physically and sonically. What a cool gig! I hope the job treats you well and lasts a long time!

7. Excellent news! Keeping fingers crossed! :)

the harp unstrung likes this.
  8. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    alikeinsolidarity...:meh:

PunkKitty, weird_hermiston and GregC like this.
  9. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    I've got a pair of spectrums in my test rig and really like 'em. Two weeks in btw! So far I'm absolutely in love with this job everyone at WMD is super cool folks.

10. Gig report.
    The symphony I play with just finished recording our 2nd virtual concert for strings. We ended up being able to use the main auditorium at the local university which was great because we could hear each other far better than we could where we had been rehearsing.

Of course, I had really bad allergies last week and couldn't attend rehearsal because of Covid protocols. Then our tech rehearsal for last night was cancelled as our conductor was in Texas to help his mother who just had surgery. She is well and he flew back this morning. Anyway it was two weeks since I last rehearsed with them but I practiced my parts at home and made the best of it.

First off was Mozart. I don't really care much for listening to Mozart as it just never seems to connect with me like most other composers music does but Mozart IS actually fun to play. I had an early entrance at two times in the second movement and most people outside of the bass and cello section didn't notice including the conductor. Unfortunately this was a recording and my mistakes will be forever etched in digital memory. Other than that it went really well and I didn't have any other bad mistakes the rest of the night.

Second piece was George Walker's Lyric for Strings which is a beautiful piece that had a really intense fortissimo at the climax and I could feel the stage floor vibrating from the basses and cellos. That was deeply satisfying!

Then we played John Corligiano's Voyage for String Orchestra which had some cool harmonics in the bass part and was a really neat piece overall. Plus, I am always happy getting to play music by openly LGBTQ composers and John Corigliano has been reflecting upon LGBTQ struggles and advocating for LGBTQ rights through his music since the 1980's.

My favorite piece of the virtual concert was an arrangement our conductor made of two movements from the piano piece Trois Morceaux by Lili Boulanger. His orchestration for string ensemble of this piano solo was really wonderful and I really felt like the orchestra made it come to life tonight.

We had originally been booked to record this virtual concert at a church that has had a very bad reputation with local LGBTQ folks. When this was revealed to the conductor/artistic director, he made sure to find a different venue on behalf of the comfort of myself and a few other members of the strings that identify as LGBTQ. There is a lot more to the original venue part of the story regarding my particular conflict with this specific church that I wont go into here. Anyway it was nice to be able to play tonight free from that conflict and that our conductor and the symphony's board made us LGBTQ folks feel completely included in the endeavor to make music. I am very happy to be playing again and to be in an ensemble that values me as a musician and as a person. Our conductor is a fantastic musician, a really great person to talk with, and a genuinely good person who really cares about everyone involved.

Anyway that's the gig world for me for a while. I have no pride month gigs and I am going to have to focus on my paid community radio job this summer while we are setting up two brand new visual radio studios. As much as I think it is so cool to operate a full power community radio station remotely from my basement, my colleagues and I will really enjoy moving into these new studios.

One last radio thing for anyone who has read this far, I get to return to the microphone at my volunteer radio gig tomorrow morning playing classical music from 10am to noon pacific daylight time on KMUZ community radio as we are starting to open up the studios to live DJs for the first time since Covid began. You can listen here if you are interested.
    Listen to KMUZ – KMUZ Community Radio

Wishing everyone a healthy happy summer and sending big virtual hugs to all of you!

11. Good to hear you're enjoying yourself playing symphonic music, Danielle. I know it's something you've been wanting to do for a long time.
    Yes it's strange, isn't it, how you can enjoy playing things that you wouldn't spend your time listening to. I have this with Brahms.

Danielle Meyer likes this.
  12. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    @Danielle Meyer thank you for the wonderful gig report and for sharing how the pieces felt to you and impacted you. Very cool that the conductor listened (I guess listening is part of the job description :D ) to concerns and changed the venue. Cool stuff.

13. I know a lot of people like that with Brahms and that helps me understand my disconnect with Mozart.
    It's a good reminder for me about not being too judgemental about music that others like. Which is something I ashamedly used to do in my youthful arrogance.

14. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I am curious....do you people think it is beneficial for a solo artist on a big label to come out?

Growing up in the 60's & 70's we mostly knew lots of rock singers were gay (John ,Mercury, Halford etc) and you cannot question their success though some were slow 'coming out'.

How concerned are record labels, managers etc with sex orientation?

Also, my oldest cousin came out in the late 1950's as a teen and was actually accepted by most that i knew about...of course he wound up in the big city early on and family would say "well thats where he feels most comfortable".

Hover-Rich, Sascha Erni and Pendulous like this.
  15. PunkKitty

PunkKitty Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2014
    I honestly think it doesn't matter anymore. Many musicians are openly LGBT. Most of their fans just don't care.

16. PunkKitty

Feb 2, 2014
  17. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
  18. "Also served as a Court. Traces of this are still to be found in the stone cellar..."
    With a bit of digging, you may find some skeletons.

PunkKitty and equill like this.
  19. PunkKitty

Feb 2, 2014
    Or maybe even a full dungeon.

20. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Party at @PunkKitty 's new house!! :D
    Looks really amazing. I'm not sure if you're joking or not about living there. I'd love to, myself, though cleaning and maintenance would be a bear.

Hover-Rich likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021