1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The LGBT Bass Players Club!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Jul 15, 2011.

1. blastoff99

blastoff99

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    O Canada, I miss you!

I love Canada. Used to live in sight of it, and spent many lovely vacation days camping, motorcycling, traveling by car, etc. Would like to live there, but don't stand a chance of getting in. Too old, and no useful skills.

2. i dont think i do, my family is mostly from chile lol. and yeah thatd be cool

3. Then welcome to the club! You are now member #117.

4. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Akk cent chew ate The Positive Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Our grand daughter’s Pre-K Teacher, Ms. Claudia, is visiting with her family in Chile right now.

There’s a special place in heaven for Pre-K Teachers! ;)

4StringTheorist likes this.
  5. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Oh geeze, story too good to not share.

We went Ice skating last night (i'm learning and sore). There was a mennonite family there and afterwords Danielle and I were chatting waiting on the rest of our group when a little mennonite girl walked by us, wide eyed looking at us like we were complete aliens. Anyways Danielle didn't notice this girl and a moment later went in for a kiss, I looked over and saw said girl about ten feet away staring at us jaw dropped, wider eyes than I think I've ever seen. That said I'm glad I could do my part to gay up the world. :D

6. Pennsylvania Dutch (Amish / Mennonite) are a regular feature in my greater field. As I drive to a day of a workshop in chakra fusion, I pass an Amish man in his horse and buggy.

When I buy organic vegetables from the Amish, the family patriarch always hands me over to a daughter or to his wife to complete the sale. As a woman, I am not important enough to see to himself. The women in an Amish community are very second class.

There is a short time for Amish teens to test the waters of the lives of the "English" (that's everyone but them). The Kindle is a popular device, and father doesn't mind what they read so long as it comes from a Christian source. This is where Bonnet Books come in.

A Bonnet Book is a bodice ripper written for the Mennonite audience. The name comes from the cover art. Characters speak in the Amish fashion (the writers need to be really familiar with Amish culture!) The outcome of the story is always how the lead character marries and joins the church.

These books get kind of racy (for the Amish) and the Kindles are shared by the women in the household, unbeknownst to the patriarch. The sexual awakening among the Amish is slow, and not assured, but it's happening.

I've a body worker friend who practices lomilomi massage. She regularly treats Amish women and reports all her clients are deeply sexually repressed. I hear a lot of tales that don't merit retelling here, but I will say I myself raised my eyebrows upon hearing .... :whistle:

7. blastoff99

blastoff99

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    ^^^

I guess the silver lining in the vegetable-buying story is that the man reads you as a woman and treats you as he would any other woman. :bored:

pomegranesis and kesslari like this.
  8. New avatar, Morrighan? Nice pic!

Christine and Morrighan like this.
  9. Good story indeed, Samantha! (Yes, I gave you the credit.)

On a side note: "to gay up" is that an expression? So when I publicly kiss my opposite-gender spouse, am I "straightening up" the world? :)

Christine likes this.
  10. Thankee sai.

It's a cropped image of this:

V__AF36.

taken five weeks out of my (non-GCS) surgery. What the photo doesn't show is at that time I was barely able to walk from the car to the lunch table without a walker or cane. It was a real big deal to cross that space without help! (I did reach for the tables to hold on to as I made my way to our table.)

Now walking much more confidently. I take Odin the standard poodle out daily. He's happy; I'm happy, all win.

Weekend mornings mean conference calls with my own community. Today I shared (in part) my belief I will be strong enough to gig again by July.

11. I'm curious how being a member of this club (The LGBT+ community) has affected your standing in the greater bass playing community. If you do it professionally or just for your own benefit, did you have any issues? Have you had any trouble with instructors or luthiers? How have audiences been if you're a visible member of the community.

Just curious really and figured it might be a way to get know how you came to the bass and how the rest of your life has influenced or been influenced by that.

pomegranesis and InnerBass like this.
  12. InnerBass

InnerBass The Rallies, Creme Tangerine - "Chart Gun" 4 Hire. Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left
    I live in Seattle - As Kurt Cobain said in All Apologies “Everyone is Gay”
    Most people are good with that sentiment in these parts ;)

13. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Sometimes I know that people are saying 'You should see ________, they have a trans bass player.' I think after they gawk a few times it changes to 'See_________, they have a really good bass player'. I hope anyway.
    Since I live in a place there is very little danger in being trans ( not saying there are no haters, just not enough to be overly concerned), I think my being trans has opened doors for me (hey, if you're going to be different...market it!)
    I'm playing a big municipal event in Cow Country on Friday, it's a men in rubber boots, women in Crocs event. I'll be wearing Pride t-shirt and bright pink hair. Gotta queer up these farm folk!
    Happy Pride.

14. Make it happen, Paula!

15. Just noticed this thread, and as I’m not as active on this forum as is like to be I’ll give my two cents. Im bisexual myself (formerly considered myself gay) as is my girlfriend. We’re not exactly active in any kind of LGBT community and don’t think much of it as we don’t really consider our sexuality’s as having much baring on our daily lives. That being said I’m still “closeted” to most everyone I know. That being said, I like many hope for a day where sexual orientation is irrelevent in the grand scheme of things, and until that happens there is injustice. Happy pride everyone.

16. MojaveVox, do you want to be a member of the LGBT Bassists club?

17. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Although I've seen / dealt with bigoted behavior online, I've gotten very little from any of the musicians I've met out here in the real world, I have however caught crap from a good number of non musicians in my life. I would maybe attribute this to a few things.

One, Musicians /artists tend to be of the more intelligent variety. ;)
    Two, my guitar player could beat up your guitar player. :D Actually he's a super nice guy but he does have a bit of an intimidating look.
    Three, the overwhelming majority of the folks I encounter are via my line of work where by I've made a good reputation for myself. Whether or not they think I look funny or offend their religion in some way I never get to know, because just as I respect our music community and all it has given me they respect me for all that I give back. I literally have only had two instances in my 20ish year career that I can remember where by someone was not able to set aside their differences in order to work with me. In short I live by the mantra music first, I work hard and it pays.

Curios why that question, I thought about it a tad and I'd guess there could be several or any one of a number of reasons.
    I also thought of the answers folks might give, and although I'd be interested to see if any trends would arise I'd suspect that most answers would be quite varied. There's a lot of differences under said lgbt umbrella, trans people could have vastly different stories from one to the next, and still a cis gay man might be even further different. The lgbt is a vastly large and diverse subset of our society as a whole, both in who we are and as well how we are perceived.

Pendulous likes this.
  18. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Halethorpe, MD
    Being a member of this club is, in many cases, incidental to their membership here in TalkBass. Samantha Cay came to my attention over in the luthier corner primarily. You should see some of her work; she has quite a reputation over there.

19. Absolutely.

20. Then you are now our #118. Welcome!

MojaveVox likes this.