Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the life

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by kimstevens, Jan 25, 2005.

1. kimstevens

kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002
    Hi Michael and Steve,

I have a general question about your feelings about touring and playing lots of gigs: do you enjoy it, and/or did it take you a long time to figure out how to live a healthy and creative life while doing it? I know that performing itself is or can be an creative experience, and I certainly enjoy it, as you both seem to -- I'm referring to the travel, the physical and mental effects that late hours, strange beds, and loss of routine can cause, and basicsally how well you are able to spend the day after a gig. I spent 2 years on the road with a band, and I left the situation mostly because I would end up feeling like a zombie much of the time, even with continuing to exercise and trying to eat well.

Kim

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Kim,

As you mention it can be a pretty draining lifestyle, especially after many years. Many of the most difficult times I’ve had have been bad days on the road and you’re absolutely right -- it’s important to stay healthy and sane if you want to keep it up. I do love it though, and there are a few things that keep me going: the opportunity to meet amazing people all over the world, the chance to experience how people live in different places, the chance to learn and grow, and most importantly, a very deep love of music and a belief in its ability to do good things in the world. It’s not the easiest career path to choose, but it’s a great privilege to be able to play music for folks.

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Somehow I missed replying to this first time round...

FWIW, I LOVE touring on my own. I do miss home, and my cats, but I love the experience of meeting new people, playing music and seeing new places. As much as possible I avoid hotels - I like to stay with friends and get some kind of experience of life wherever I might be. Hotels are OK if you're touring in a band, but if I'm on my own, more solitude is not really what I'm looking for.

The other big difference with touring on your own is that you clearly have to be a whole lot more responsible for what's going on around you, so there's no room for the kind of tour shenanigans that you get up to in a band.

It must be said that the most fun I have on tour is with Michael - I could happily do that for three or four months of the year! :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Aw shucks, my friend! Three or four months a year would be a blast, but by the end of it our jokes would get so "inside" we'd have to develop our own language!