1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the lightest!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elavate7, Oct 13, 2010.

1. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    which are lighter, p basses or j?

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    All depends on the wood. I've had both heavy and light jazz and p-basses. My last P-bass was nice and light. The P-bass I had before that one weighed a ton. There is not set rule that one is lighter than the other.

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I've played more lightweight P's than J's, but they all vary.

4. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    so is alder a heavy wood?

5. I can tell you that the lightest isn't the heaviest of the two.

6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    No

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    P basses are 'generally' lighter. if you were to start out building either with the exact same wood, the jazz bass's body is a little bit bigger (and heavier) due to it being offset, the metal control plate, with an additional pot and knob, plus the extra pickup, all add to making it a bit heavier.

now when it comes to individual basses, i've had light and heavy versions of both, but genrally the p basses are lighter.

8. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Nope, my Fender Jazz Hwy One was only 8.1 lbs and was Alder.

9. If you want a light bass, go with a Road Worn P. They are extremely light weight and fun to play!

10. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    aerodyne jazz bass is a P and a J and is VERY light

11. Jay turser Precision bass. I swear, the darn thing was made from balsa....

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Yup depends on the body wood. My P pup BC Rich Eagle is very light due to mahogany body my fave body wood.

13. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Yeah, but a P bass has metal knobs and a thicker neck, which probably offsets everything.

And the decal has more letters, making that heavier, too. :D

14. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the early p bass knobs were very lightweight (chromed pot metal as light as the jazz bass phenolics) and, IME the neck size difference is neglible in adding any weight. p bass and jazz bass necks can vary from 1 lb 8 oz to about 1 lb 12 oz depending on the individual piece of maple's density.

15. Generally it's fairly light, but can be quite heavy. I had Warmoth make me an alder Jazz body a couple of years ago, and it weighs a friggin ton. Big disappointment.

16. Alder can be really light or it can be heavy, depending on the piece you get. The same goes with ash. I do know that alder is pretty soft so it gets dents easier than ash.

17. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    In my experience, Jazz basses seem to run about 1/2 lb heavier than Precisions, although the lightest J and P I've had weighed the same, 8 lbs.
    I'd guess the lightest P out there weighs less than the lightest J.

18. My Danelectro Rumor P bass is by far the lightest bass i have ever owned or played.

3k23o83ld5Y45Z65Q6a8j5d25be33b9871c94.jpg

...Even with being so light, it sounds great and is incredibly balanced. I'm surprised at how much of a 'true p bass' tone it gets.