Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the Lightwave Zon returns!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Jul 6, 2002.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    with a close call from UPS, i just received my overhauled Zon Lightwave Sonus.

[​IMG]

more pics:

http://members9.clubphoto.com/fred536059/823723/guest.phtml

swapped out the bridge for the monoliths, 36 hour battery upgrade, moved the mid sweep to a stacked knob, etc....

the LW folks did a fantastic job!!!!

they even gave me my old bridge and motherboard for old time's sake.

sounds and plays pretty nice too.

hats off!!!!

f

2. i dont mean to be the dumb arse here, its a gorgeus bass and all, but... where are the pick ups on it?

3. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    in the bridge assembly.

uses infrared emitters to detect string vibrations -instead of magnetics.

check 'em out at:

www.lightwave-systems.com

f

4. Looks great, Fred!

Sound any different? Did you reinstall the treble control?

Jeff

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sounds cool.

I wish I could check it out, but I have not found a Lighwave equiped bass at any of the local stores.

I sent you a PM. Just wanted to be sure you saw it.

Peace
    Nick

6. post sample mp3s! pleaseeeeee! and play fast i want to hear if theres that click sound on these.

7. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    click?

where'd ya hear about that? not sure what you mean.

play fast...hehe.

f

8. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    jeff,

i didn't reinstall the treble.

what WAS done, i had the mid-sweep range extend partially into what was the treble range.

really nice having the mid swseep/boost-cut on a stacked knob.

F

9. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Is there any reason you opted for the newer bridge ? Is it just to get rid of those hoods ? A lot of people I've talked to prefer the ol' brass one.

The stacked knob thing is a great idea though. As of now, to sweep the mids, I have to turn a little screw in the back.

Must refrain from posting picture :D

So when is the Coco Bolo joining the party ?

10. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    hey Stachio,

funny how we both have Zon LW fretless Sonai and hotrodded MIM Jazzes.

hmmm....why did i opt for the new bridge? um, i'm a freak, mostly. i didn't mind the old one. upgrade anxiety most likely.

yeah, the stacked knob is TREMENDOUS!

hey! POST AWAY...always like to see pics.

the cocobolo zon may be a while...funds are tight with the new "bush economy".

:rolleyes:

f

11. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Fred,

Unfortunately I don't have the Aguilar-Berg rig...Well I think I did at one point, then I woke up :D . The SM-400S should be coming in the mail. Not really a comparison there though.

I think I might do the stacked knob thing and see if they can keep the old bridge (why mess with a good thing). I'm just constantly impressed with Lightwaves: how true and deep the sound is, the service, the look, etc.

I do think the newer bridges look cooler, and they're is not problem playing close to the bridge. 2 pluses there.

Oh and did I forget :
    [​IMG]
    I need to get some new pics :) .
    I'd have to say yours is pretty sweet too.

Our birthdays are almost the same too...well maybe off by a few years. Maybe the Zon Lightwave/hotrodded MIM combo isn't a choice but a horoscopic thing ?:D

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dang...you guys got my Lightwave GAS all aggrivated again!

How do these things sound? What's the flexibility on them? And, I know this is kinda asinine, but I play metal, so how do these handle de-tuning?

13. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Well I'm sure Fred or Jeff could give you a more reliable answer, as they've had their's longer, but here's my take :

VERY versaile. The Lightwave is very true to technique especially right hand. The EQ is very responsive too. I'd opt for the sweepable mids with cut/boost over the older ones which had the trebble control instead. Add in the piezo (not really the traditional piezo) and a low boost/cut that keeps on giving (you want to be careful with this one...a little goes a LONG way).
    I think the strong point is really how pure the sound is...no coloration from pickups (and no hum). Fretless is really where the Lightwave shows off...So I'm not sure how that would fit into metal...But then I'm not sure how a fretless would fit in metal (I think DiGiorgio pulled it off ?).
    To let this baby shine, you want to use an amp that is pretty transparent IMO...Maybe SWR, EA, Epifani. I think that Eden or GK color it too much IMO...I like Eden a lot but I feel something like EA gives me more room to explore the Lightwave sound.
    EDIT :
    Woops...wrong answer about the metal question. The Zon is very gracious with detuning. Once you have it detuned it pretty much stays there for days and handles the abuse...I was pretty impressed with that.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Mmmm....

....I remember that bass....Stachio, stop posting pics of that evil wench!!!! :p

I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

15. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    well, after playing it for a few days (i've yet to really open her up through my Bergies though) i have to say i AM impressed.

gone, is the IceTone's clackiness, pure sparkle!

and with the new mid sweep, i get really nice tone tops.

and yes, the new bridge pieces allow playing closer to the bridge end....bringing up that gnarl that i love so much.

man, i need to start practicing again. this bass design stuff is really eating into my play time.

oh, the horrors, the horrors.

:D

f

16. Man those are so sweet. I have GAS for one something fierce.:D