Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The long search ends with a Modulus Q5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveB, Feb 13, 2003.

1. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have taken the last three months to decide on my new five string. I have also needed two trips to the U.S. since high end basses are somewhat scarce in Canada.The audition list has been a who's who of the high end bass world. I have seriously auditioned(multiple times in some cases) Ken Smith, Sadowsky, MTD, Zon, Modulus, Lakland,and F Bass.
    Part of my journey included NAMM a few weeks ago so the list is actually longer.
    Of couse, I have used the archives here extensively (big help too, by the way). And there was no price sensitivity . I was prepared to buy the bass I fell in love with...period.

I tried very hard to fall in love with MTD, Sadowsky and F Bass. As wonderful as they are none were "the one". Smith, Zon and Lakland were not in the game very long.(Great basses all, but they too didn't "call" me.). I tried Modulus early in the game but didn't care for the Genesis and the first three Q5's I tried were with the phenolic fingerboard and/or EMG's ( deal breaker in either case) Then I found a Q5 with a chechen top, chechen fingerboard, Barts with the B/M/T active controls and voila.....it was a baseball glove revelation.

Let me explain. Remember, when you were a kid and you went to buy a new baseball glove and the rack had fifty of the same Rawlings model and you tried every one. And then...you slide "the one" on your hand and it's...well, perfect. Well, I got the same rush when I played and heard this particular Q5.
    I slept on it and went back the next day and bought it.

I won't bore you with the review. Suffice to say all the Q5 fans here are right on the money. And hey, as for the other contenders, they were all a nice step up for me but it was "this" Modulus that grabbed me. Can't wait 'til Saturday's gig.

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Congrats on your new Q5. I recently fell in love with (go figure) a Q5 with EMGs and Phenolic fingerboard. I guess we're all different and that's why there are so many choices. In any event, I fell in love with the neck dimensions and the way they fit my hand, and the sustain and harmonic content of the Modulus Q5. I found a Blackstone 5A Quilt Maple finish that "called" to me. The baseball glove fit. I didn't want it to. I LOVE my pristine Roscoe 5 with exhibition quilt maple top, Ebony fingerboard, Swamp Ash Body, Barts and Aguilar Electronics. Mmm. Nice. But when I played the Modulus, for some reason I played it better, with better definition. I also found it had better evenenss from B string to E string. The Low B on my roscoe is truly legendary, but sometimes I need to be ginergly with it because it seems just a shade hotter than the rest of the strings.

Had I seen or had the chance to demo a Chechen topped Modulus Q5, I might very well have loved it too. I just put some money down on a Modulus Q5 blackstone, with EMG's. I thought the thing was incredibly responsive, punchy, yet brilliant and clear.

Enjoy your new bass. What kind of amp are you using? What style of music?

3. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Mod Q 5 Story. Take 3. I went to a small music shop here in town. They don't normally carry any basses of note, just knockoffs and some used stuff. However, I noticed behind the counter was, believe it or not, a spalted maple bass that I thought was marked $1,850. I quickly determined it was a Modulus Quantum 5 and requested a test ride. I was quick to notice that the bass was $1,000 cheaper than I first thought. So, I played it and examined it. Well it played great. Tight. Extremely responsive. Great B. But I focused on a nick in the finish, some tarnished bolts on the back, a small hairline crack along one of the "spalts" (is that a word?) between the pickups, and a terribly worn 2Tek bridge (most of the paint had worn off). It was a 1996 model with no way to adjust the bass. I found out it was for sale on consignment. I gave the bass back and went on downtown where I had business. I tossed around if I should get the bass for a few hours while downtown. Then I decided I'd go back by the shop. I loved the way it played but I took the investor approach and projected a tough time selling the bass when I grew tired of it. One month later. I stopped in and it still hung there. I asked for it again and played it again. What struck me was the milelong sustain on virtually ever note and the how well in tune it was with itself. And the cosmetics weren't so bad. Nevertheless, the bass weighed a TON. I decided to come back the next day with my strap. In the mean time, the seller dropped the price another $50. I strapped it on and it was heavy but very well balanced. Tone and playablility won out, not to mention not even having to pay sales tax. Since then, I've played it pretty much 90% of the time, and my Lakland is a "slamming" bass. BTW, I've got EMGs. Out of ink...Another apologetic Q5 owner.

[​IMG]

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nice choice, man. Mods are hard to beat. I've got a Q6 courtesy of our man Adrian that is my favorite sixer. Clarity all over the place and plays like buttah! :bassist:

5. I've been tossing around the idea of picking up a used Q5 or Q6 (with barts), but I can't find anywhere where I could play one first to get an idea of the feel/tone. I just keep hearing this stuff about the amazing B, and that really interests me.

Maybe I'll join the club eventually! :D

edit: pics?

6. I have one, (Q6 w/ Barts) but idk if you wanna fly all the way to central Wisconsin...sorry.

7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I went through a few choices before I settled on the Q5. And I'm a Gren/Bart guy, myself.

It just works for me :)

8. I just got a Quantum 4 Sweetspot and a custom bass with a Modulus P-bass neck. I planned to sell/trade one, but they both sound amazing, and they are very different from each other, so keeping both isn't so crazy.

I might even pick up a Modulus 5, too.

Nutty, huh?

BTW, Da5id Hex, I was born in the Ozarks. Hard place to find a high-end bass, huh? Go figure. . .

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm partial to Quanta myself. Even if I wasn't, it's a cool post... always nice to hear when someone finds The One!

Here's my greenstone with EMG/phenolic.
    [​IMG]

10. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Ah yes... soon they will take over!

11. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    DaveB is that the Modulus I was playing a couple weeks ago at L&M?? if so, it indeed is a bass of basses! Congrats!! ;)
    What is the name of your band(s)? I am moving to TO from Ottawa in March/June....Very excited!!
    Richard

12. However, I noticed behind the counter was, believe it or not, a spalted maple bass that I thought was marked $1,850. I quickly determined it was a Modulus Quantum 5 and requested a test ride. I was quick to notice that the bass was $1,000 cheaper than I first thought. In the mean time, the seller dropped the price another $50.

I LOVE Spalted Maple,it would be my choice if i custom ordered a Modulus. I worked at a Mod dealer for a couple years and have played several of them. Did I understand that you got it for $800? That's INSANE. Congrats.

13. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Thanks for your comments guys.

Roscoe5 - I play in a Classic R&B/Motown band that plays small to large size clubs/bars/pubs. My standard gig rig is a Bag End S15D powered by an Eden WT-500 amp (bridged). The BE 15 fills up the biggest rooms we play without breaking a sweat. Every once in awhile I need to move a little more air so I'll add the Bag End S12D (that I normally just use for upright). When I do that I use the WT-500 in stereo mode. Until a few days ago I had an Eden 410XLT that hadn't been used at all since I got the Bag End cabs about 10 months ago.

Fuzzbass - Funny you should put up a pic of your Q5 with your RB5. I traded my RB5 in on the Q5 deal.I did love that RB5.

Jaggedsphere - Welcome to Toronto. Your timing sounds right. I got it at L&M on Bloor and it was not there the last time I was at the store (about 6 weeks ago). Hey, there's a great used RB5 down there right now. An RB5 in Toronto is a rarity.
    My band's name is the DeVilles and we work an average of 5-6 nights a month throughout the GTA. So whatever neighbourhood you move to - we'll be in a club near you!!!

14. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a Q5 and a Q6 both with Bartolini PUs and 18V 3 band electronics. The 6 has a Grenadillo fingerboard and the 5 has the phenolic fingerboard. I cannot hear much difference in the tone of the basses and prefer the phenolic fingerboard.

My Q's are recent ones and have the truss rods.

Chuck

15. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Hand over mouth. Muffled "yes" and don't tell anybody.;)

16. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I bought a Stingray from JRBrown and he's a straight-up guy to deal w/.

He is Selling a BYOOTIFUL near flawless Q5 right now for <$1500 . I would but it if I could justify it.

SOMEBODY buy this thing ... it's killing me :(

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yeah, me too! Gorgeous bass.

18. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    DaveB, welcome to the Quantum Club.

19. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    Yeah, Q's are my main basses. Here's my wee stable...

I used to own another Q6, but sold it a couple years ago.

20. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Joshua, I hate you. :D