The Longest Stretch Ever

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigLoopDuke, Sep 13, 2018.

1. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    So, last night, after packing up my bass at our band's rehearsal, I realized I may be in my longest stretch of not swapping out my primary bass in many, many years. I've also been less engaged with TB in general, recently, so that may have some correlation.

I'm still playing and loving my 2015 Fender American Standard P-bass. Sunburst with a tort pickguard. A CS 60's pup. Playing D'Addario halfwounds through a GK MB500 212 combo.

It's as if I've hit tone nirvana. I don't know what's wrong with me. I even scoped out the classifieds and spent some time oogling over Stingrays, but quickly moved away from that idea. Is it possible to be totally GAS-free?

bholder, chris_b and mattbass6945 like this.
  2. c10

c10

Apr 10, 2005
    Naperville, IL
    I was expecting a picture of you fretting the 4th string 1st fret and 1st string 10th fret at once.

3. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Me too

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was expecting him to be playing an extra long scale Thumb bass where his arm was fully outstretched and the nut was still a foot away.

BigLoopDuke and Bass Man Dan like this.
  5. I'm not sure if this counts, but my 1992 Ibanez SR885 had been my main bass until I started buying new ones in 2010. That makes 18 years (although for more than 10 years, I hadn't played music.)

6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Tools is tools. Focus on what you can make with them.

lz4005 likes this.
  7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yup, even while being an active TB member.

I've used the same, single bass as my primary for over ten years now and I don't really have any interest in others.

Same with the rest of my gear. I overhauled my amp/cab rig in early 2017, but that was also a one and done type thing. I'm open to picking up other gear as needs arise, but they probably won't.

Instead of constantly lusting over and changing my gear, I have more to worry about with fiddling with knobs and settings to find just the tone I'm looking for at any given time. I pretty much always find it though... the quest for that ever-elusive unobtainable tone this is not.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021