1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Look Of A Band

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bluewine, Apr 27, 2009.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Has anyone ever aplied to audition for a band, then you go to their web site and see their pictures and watch the clips and realize there is no way you would fit in with that band?

2. not with me, Im all for image, I could be in a gown and black metal makeup, use military pants and play grindcore, dress up in armor and play Manowar-ish stuff or even wear makeup a la motley crue stuff. Music is the most beautiful of all arts, but mixing it with the other arts (plastic art, acting, etc.) makes it a much more full experience IMO

3. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I research bands before applying.

4. I like your attitude!

I think I've tipped the 'over the hill' point for some band looks (although I could, if I tried, probably pull off some) - but I've always loved the idea of mixing theater and band. The idea that you can adopt a persona and live an alternate existence that's not necessarily in line with your reality is very appealing to me. Like what Bowie did back in the day or even Gwar or Slipknot (in spite of the fact that I'm not all that into the really heavy stuff).

In short - I like a "look" that's part of a bigger picture.

So if a band has something really cool going on and is wrapping that up in an "out there" look, that'd be interesting to me.

But if the band looked like a bunch of schlubs - like they just rolled outta bed and walked on stage - or that they could easily be just another person in the crowd who happens to have a guitar strapped on, I'd be less interested in hooking up. I guess that's the absence of a look as opposed to a look.

5. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I wouldn't wear a t-shirt and jeans to a jazz gig, just like I wouldn't wear pressed trousers and a button-front shirt to play punk or metal. I wear scrubs at work not at home, etc. Everything has a dress code, whether explicit or implied.

6. wnelson

wnelson

Aug 15, 2007
    dallas,tx
    there was a guitarist we auditioned ''site un-seen'' and when he got out of the car ......we already said ''no''...

understand that this guy was dirty...i mean stuck in 93 dirty/grungy..his pants were beyond ripped and exposed about 70% of his boxers the whole time...and not to mention a total douchebag...his first comment was ''well,im not use to playing these easy riffs''....then about an hour later he stated ''man,im not use to playing these technical riffs''...:scowl:

*face palm*

needless to say..we didnt invite this guy back
    ..we built this band from the ground up...we've work extremely hard on the music (like any of you) and i think we deserve to be a little picky..:D

7. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

Hmm... Now you've got me wondering if maybe I didn't get that pit orchestra gig because I showed up in a thong... and flipflops... and my bass.

8. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Maybe that is why I got turned down from my last audition. I showed up im very hip hugerish low cut Deisel distressed jeaans, black body shirt and long scarf and new cons (realize I'm 56). These guys were biker types

9. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    I show up with a salami down one pants leg. That takes care of any image one-upsmanship.

10. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile

Oh, yeah.

PS: VK Rocks!!!!! :bassist: :ninja:

11. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon

hahaha holy cow those were awesome responses!

as for image...meh...eff it. I don't try to look like a slob, but I don't wear my (fancy) suit.

One of my old bands would have each member dress up in different styles of punk (pop, crust, hippy, poseur). it was fun, but a lot of work. my current band doesn't spend as much time on image.

12. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I've always thought its hugely important for the audience to know, before and after your play, they your are DEFINATELY in a band...regardless of whether they saw you play or not! Hence, skin-tight turquoise jeans for me (I'll show you guy some pictures some time...)!

13. I usually take a look at their web page or something before making a decision to try out.

One time I thought I should wear what I would at a gig. This was an alternative hard rock band. So I wore a nice dressy top, tights, and some nice boots. A little more eye shadow, whatever (gig look). They were all in jeans and t-shirts, and I know I'm the one trying out for their band, so...Plus they were all guys, so that's what they wear. I just felt funny, like I was trying too hard. I didn't get that gig. So the next band I auditioned for (all guys again) I wore a dressy top, ripped jeans with my Converse All Stars. Didn't do my night time eyes this time. And I still didn't get the gig.

So I've tried the Gig look, Regular Rock Chick look, and non has worked so far. I have an audition this Wednesday, and I'm clueless as to how I should dress. I know that it probably wasn't what I was wearing that decided my fate in those bands. What should I wear? Any women on here that can help me? Or guys?

14. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    During the 80's I showed up for an audition in jeans, converse and a t shirt. The guys in the band greeted me, disappeared for a little while and then came back dressed in tights and tank tops, hair all poofy and makeup on.
    :eyebrow:

Rather than just leave I played a few songs with them just to make them as uncomfortable as I was and then went home. :D

This is what life was like before the Internet.

15. I tried the potato in the pants thing, but I never got the gig...then someone suggested that I put the potato in the front...

16. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

An oldie but a goodie... This joke, I mean.

I just remembered this ad someone was running in Denver a few years ago. They were looking for a band member, and they stated at the end of their ad, "No moustaches. We don't play moustache music." Always thought that was pretty hilarious.

17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I once ran into Beefcake the All Mighty a few years ago at Bass NW (Gwar was playing in town). And in his regular clothes you couldn't imagine a more normal looking dude....you could easily confuse him for a construction worker or dock worker or something.

18. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Looking at a band doing crazy costumes makes me feel awkward. Most of the times it's just kliché..
    I would never join a band that does not keep it real.

19. A drummer I know was in a band called SimplySick. They all wore masks, except the guitar player who was like a little kid.

l_78aa20f0e3be36ad1d18fa07848c33e5.

20. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    You, sir, must carry you b*lls around in a dump truck!! :D