The "Look".

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You guys ever notice "the look"? You know the look. You're on stage holding it down, and some poor schlep gives you a thumbs up accompanied by "the look". A look that says, "I'd love to get one of those, but my wife keeps my stones in her coinpurse, and she only lets me use them when there's something that needs to be repaired around the house." I get that same look when I'm at a red light on my bike. Some poor guy pulls up next to me in a Chevy Celebrity wagon, makes sure that his wife isn't looking, and then gives me a slight nod. Guys come up to me after shows, and say, "Man, I've always wanted to play an instrument on stage!" Only to have his wife say, "Don't even think about!" (Actually happened). He laughed, and then gave me the "look". Quite sad actually.
  2. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Oh man, thats pretty funny, but strangely depressing at the same time. :smug:

My last girlfriend is the reason i can relate to the guys that give you that "look". But thank god i have moved on and have one that actually supports what im doing. :hyper:
  3. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    :bawl: I hope to avoid being in a situation like that....
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've gotten the look. Onstage, in my red BMW coupe, building my trebuchets. I actually had a friend tell me his wife would not allow him to work on the trebuchet. :( :confused: --being safe all the time is not fun. (knock on wood) ;)
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I get the look occasionally, when I'm playing. Not very often, though.

At least, not as often as when I'm out on my jetpack.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I used to have it in reverse; My wife is a modern dancer and her dance company was travelling all over the world and i was jsut looking on...Finally i forced them to take me on as their MD...It worked !
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Mob doctor?
  8. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    ..contrary to posting trend in here, I probably 'gve the look' more than recieve it..infact, I can't think of any time I've had 'the look' :meh: / :confused: / :( (not sure which one of those I should be applying...)
  9. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    MD = Musical Director...

But i like the Mob Doctor thang...
  10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've been guilty of giving the look. I was going down the freeway in my sensible Honda Civic when I hear a healthy V8 rumbling through dual exhaust and glance to my left to see a 1970 Chevelle SS in bright red with black rally stripes easing past me - you bet I gave that guy the look, the look that said "I am green with envy and I tip my hat to you for your excellent taste in cars - good job buddy" I think that is half the reason guys drive cars like that - to get those looks. The look is a compliment. When I really dig their ride - I give them the look, I figure that they deserve it.
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)

Those looks I give myself, but it's the "If I wasn't afraid of my wife, I'd have one of those" looks that crack me up.
  12. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    After the gig last Saturday, some guy who was helping the sound crew complimented my playing and struck up a conversation. In response to his questions I told him that I was the only one in the band with a day job and that the band would have to move on without me at some point. He pointed to my wedding ring and said, "I guess that'd keep you off the road, I understand." I laughed because that caught me by surprise. "That's the LAST thing standing between me and playing music. Guess I got lucky" was all I could say.
  13. Oh please don't make me vomit! :spit:

I believe you, Bliss, you know that! :)

Can't work on trebuchet. Talk about a controlling beach of sand.

Then again, no one can put handcuffs on you without your permission. ;)

14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wait, you built a trebuchet on stage in a BMW? How the heck did you manage that??

No wonder the guy's wife wasn't cool with it.
  15. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i've never gotten exactly the "look" that Woodchuck refers to. but i have gotten the look that says "i want to do that but i know i can't" :p

as for the nod while driving, it seems to backfire on my half of the time. i'll be rockin out in my ford taurus when some dude will pull up besides me in a classic that he's taken great care of or one of the newer speed machines. i'll give him the nod "wow, nice car. i salute you" and they take it wrong and figure i'm challenging them to a race. so imagine something like a Z4 versus my taurus, yeah. i know my limits, i don't challenge for races. :)

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I don't get the "look" from the people I want the "look" from.

I am probably better off.
  17. What company is she with? I've recently discovered I love modern dance. I just saw Batsheva and I'm going to see NDT in a couple of weeks.

18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)

Not that there's anything wrong with that! :D
  19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

OK, you know I'm grammatically challenged. Bite me. :D ;)
  20. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm glad you believe me Mike, I worry every day about what people on the internet think. ;)

Do you remeber my trebuchet thread? It had pics. My "should I buy this car" thread did too. Anyway, I get that my post may have come off a bit over the top, but I thought it was OK considering the nature of the thread. :meh:

Time and time again I see people don the shackles for the promise of stability, security, or not being alone, etc.