Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Love Below Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by wolfatthedoor, Apr 13, 2004.

1. My apologies in advance if this has been covered; I don't read the Bassist forum too often-

Anyone know who it was? I heard a name drop of an Aaron Mills but I'd like to get some confirmation. The "Prototype" bassline is awesome!!

Also, anyone know his gear? I've love to get his tone on 'Prototype,' again.

And one last thing - of course we see a beautiful Ric in the hey ya video, i suppose that was used for that recording?

Thanks!

2. You're talking about the OutKast album, right?

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Aaron Mills (Cameo) is one of them.

4. TMWPB

TMWPB

Mar 1, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    In the Love Below credits for the songs they list multiple bassists, different bassist on the songs. Aaron Mills is listed for only one song. Some songs don't have bass players listed, but it has Andre 3000 listed for programming or somebody listed for keyboards.

For the Speaker Boxxx credits Debra Killings plays most of the songs and Aaron Mills plays on one song.

5. different bassists on certain songs, huh?

does it give a specific name for each song? I may have to write OutKast a letter just to figure this out, that bassline is too smooth for its own good.

beyond that, just knowing the gear he/she used would be great info. i've been getting into playing r&b style bass.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Aaron uses a Lakland and Debra uses a Yamaha.

7. TMWPB

TMWPB

Mar 1, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Here is what the album has listed for the song "Prototype"
    Lead Vocals: Andre 3000
    Background Vocals: Marianne Lee Stitt
    Director: John Frisbee

On the Love Below(the Album) the bassist that it gives credit for are Moffet Morris, Kevin Brandon, Kevin Smith, Aaron MillsKelvin Brandon and Kelvin O"Neal. Each one is listed under different songs, and sometimes ones arn't even listed. It does give credit to Andre 3000 for doing Guitars on some of the songs, that might also mean bass.

8. Anyone wouldn't happen to know which Model Lakland would they?

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    55-94

10. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Read further, Aaron plays all the bass on the Love Below and he IS the bassist on "Prototype". I just read an interview on him, cant remember where. As for equipment he is currently using a Fender deluxe 5 string Jazz, black with a white pearl pickguard, his old beloved Spector(pre-kramer), and a unspecified old German upright. Aaron is still an active member of the power funk group CAMEO and they are still touring at this point. Dont know about the Laklands havent seen him with one, but I have seen the fender though, funny thing is, he used to shy away from Fenders.