The "low" after a performance

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Not sure if this thread belongs here (if note, let it be moved). It dawned on me the other night how, after weeks of rehearsal and eventual performance, as you pack your instrument and get home, there is a strange sensation of sadness, or perhaps an inner reflection, of solitude. Maybe it is just the fatigue of it all catching up?

Just sharing.

Regards to all

2. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Just the anticipation of the check.

Josh Kneisel and coldtrain like this.
  3. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

"St. Expedito" - the patron saint of outstanding gig check delivery - courtesy of Dr. John's autobiography.
    Let us pray...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  4. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    As in "Is this all am I getting? " - or as in "I wonder if I get paid tonight" or both or more? ;-)

Adam Booker likes this.
  5. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Get it every time I play where I really have to "prepare"

I play in a church setting and most of the stuff we play is either very ingrained or relatively easy ( never would have said that 4-5 years ago!...I suck now but 4-5 years ago..I really sucked).

Our group plays a few " non church" Gigs every few years... Used to be every year but that has slowed down with the semi-retirement of our BL and one of our guitarists.

In church.. The focus us always on the vocalists and we "follow" them.

In the other gigs the focus switches more to the musicianship and I take much more ownership of my playing....

As such I prepare more and have much more invested....

A 2-3 hour gig feels like an hour or less.... Time really flies....

When it's over..I want to do it again just to " justify" the work I put in practicing and working out the various parts...

It's normal l

6. A good time to reflect on mistakes and learn from them but don't beat yourself up over them. They happen. Once made the sound leaves your bass at 1200 feet per second and can't come back

Mister Boh and gerry grable like this.
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Groove Doctor likes this.
  8. If you experience an endorphin rush during live performance, the drop you experience in the aftermath is the brain reacting to the dropoff that follows the rush of those chemicals. Science!

makaspar and petrus61 like this.
  9. The biggest crash is after a doing Musicals, etc. You work really hard, do 20 gigs over 4-5 weeks and then it's all over.

After a gig, I used to watch Music Film clips and eat cereal til 4am when I was younger. Now I just go on TalkBass and veg out.

Tom Lane likes this.
  10. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I start to feel that when i realize we're about to start our last or 2nd to last song of a set that I always wish was longer (our originals sets are usually so far only 35-40min.)

The best thing to combat that is to keep the momentum going by having more shows lined up in the near future!

11. Dbass926

Dbass926

Jun 20, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    It's a feeling that definitely diminishes as your calendar fills up and you have something coming up the next week (or sometimes the next day, and if you're really lucky later that day). I definitely echo the sentiment about a long run of something or a tour. For those fortunate enough to have week-in, week-out playing schedules, the excitement of moving on to something new takes the place of the mini-funeral for what just ended.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  12. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Or,
    "How long do you think it will take the bank to let us have this check?"

13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

I know what the OP is talking about, and I think part of it is the sense of drama and dramatic structure. The process of rehearsing builds up to a climax, the performance. We're kind of used to a climax being an ending - the lights go up, credits roll, etc. But when it's your life, the film keeps rolling. You had your big crescendo and... now what? Pack up, shower, go to sleep, wake up and have coffee...

petrus61 likes this.
  14. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    It reminds of that great movie " Almost Famous " ... the highs and the lows..Thanks everyone!

15. I find I might have a low a few days or a week after an intense period of concerts. Right after a gig I am usually really charged up. That is part of my decision to start driving back to Quincy right after my NYC concerts. I am usually really awake anyway and the late night drive is only 3 & half hours door to door from Brooklyn gig.

16. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Where's your Brooklyn gig? I live in Prospect Heights. Looking to get out more and see local jazz gigs.

damonsmith likes this.
  17. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    This is a really good skill to learn. I usually have a high after a concert, part of the reward structure that keeps me playing.
    Last year, however, we played Mahler 1. I love Mahler 1, and I played it (many years ago) with my Youth Orchestra in the Albert Hall - including the solo. This time round, for some reason I sucked. Really really sucked. I felt so bad about it that I genuinely almost quit playing bass altogether. Took me a while to get perspective on it, and only after I met someone in the street who came over and told me how much he'd enjoyed it! Perspective is all. Let it go, and enjoy the audience's enjoyment

18. Right now not until November, the 10th at Muchmores, and the 19th at Holo. I keep my website updated pretty well, though, you can always check there.

19. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    I only get this kind of feeling after a performance that I thought went poorly for one reason or another. Even if I played well, if something was off, orchestra couldn't stay together, or the pianist/drummer/etc was crowding my sonic space all night and made effective soloing almost impossible, etc etc.

I don't know what your gig is...how did it go?

20. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    To be clear, I wasn't referring to a "low" that follows a sub-standard performance, but rather a low that happens even after a good one, as though the Adrenalin tank is suddenly on empty, without warning, so to speak...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021