1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Low B, Anyone Play a 5 String?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by GFDBGuy, Sep 30, 2008.

1. GFDBGuy

GFDBGuy

Aug 17, 2004
    OK, I bought a high end 7/8 Christopher 5 Busseto string (600 series). It came with Helicore Hybreds and they sound terrible for arco. I plan to use this bass primarily for orchestra. I find that on the B string the fundamental disappears below D. Anybody have a favorite low B string that bows freely? Looking for advice.

Thanks, GF

2. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Original Flexocore is very nice. Very dark, robust, and easy to get the note started. It may be too dark for your bass, but I highly recommend it.

3. I was going to make a thread about this too. Does anyone know if the Belcanto B is any good? I have a 4string set of Belcantos that make an awful combination with the fat wobbly dead B that's currently on it. Obviously I mostly play arco, so I need something that sounds dark and open, is easy to bow, and would match pretty well with my Belcantos (while avoiding something as expensive as a Belcanto B hahah...).

4. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I had a 6 string EUB that came with a terrible heliocore B, then I got a 7 string that came with a helicore B that is great for both arco and pizz. I think they got better recently. I use Spiros for the double bass, though.

5. GFDBGuy

GFDBGuy

Aug 17, 2004
    Ok, So I've put on a set of Corelli 370M with a Low B Corelli Forte. The low B is not working out. I've managed to actually send a distributer some M gauge B strings. I should have it by the end of October. I'll keep you posted.

Geoff

6. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Spirocore, both mittel and stark

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yup, I had a Mittel B on my Azola EUB. It was mind blowing.

8. 1888 Joseph Bohmann. Thomastik Orchestras top to bottom.
    The B is well over 15 years old. I try putting a new one on, and end up putting the old one back because I love it so much.

9. Did D'Addario ever proceed with High Tension B. I know in the 90's they were trialling some. I was sent one to try for comment. I think the contact lady's name was Sandy Neill?

DP

10. I have read on this forum that Pirastro Jazzer B, not to mention the E, both work great for some folks (yes, for orchestra work!) I currently have Jazzer E and A, and I would tend to agree - the E is clear but not overly bright or scratchy, and responds well. If I did more bowing I would look for a different A, however.

11. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Yes, the Jazzers sound incredible, but they have a short life. Whereas spirocores actually sound pretty nasty for the first 6 weeks, but then they never die.