Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the low point

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Billyjoe3969, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Billyjoe3969

Billyjoe3969

Nov 4, 2002
    i have been playing the bass for 3 wounderful months. I have ran out of songs to play. I am looking for songs that are kinda but not too easy. And not stuff that is really hard. if anyone can help me out that would bee great.

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Why dont you try writing your own or just trying to improve your abilities in general through exercises and practice?

3. as basssaxman said it is always good to try and compose some stuff on your own, but you asked for songs so

What I always wanted by Kittie (w/ a 5-string)
    aerials by System of a down (if you have a five string you don't have to tune differently)
    NIB by Black Sabbath
    Sober by tool is easy but one part you have to listen to to get the timing and such (I think its the chorus)
    meow mix theme:D (I like to play that)
    Would? by Alice in Chains (if you listen to it you yiu can get the timing easily)

I may give you some more later, if I think of some.

4. I'm thinking that after only 3 months I didn't know enough to be able to compose anything, but practice is definitely the key.

A fun easy song everyone loves: Crazy Train

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Clean Break by Theorem
    Finster by Theorem
    Old Ball by Theorem
    WIMS by Theorem

:cool:

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    a little ditty called "Teen Town" by a band named "Weather Report"..
    see ya next year!!!:D

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

10-04 there Garcia on "Teen Town".

Get some early Elvis Costello records. The bass playing there is catchy, fun, and intricate, without being "impossible".

There's always something new to learn. That's why there's NEVER enough time in a day!

8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    hey wait I can't play teen town and i've been working on it for a good couple of months.... same thing with donna lee

9. Scott Green

Scott Green

Sep 16, 2001
    Try some Stevie Ray Vaughn, being able to play some walking blues lines will definately help you out.
    When you first start playing you really don't need to be so selective, ANYTHING you can transcribe and play is worthwhile. Developing your ear is one of the best things you can do. The main thing is have fun with it.

10. Super Mario Brothers theme song.

The Flintstones is good too.

Don't laugh its one of my warm ups / solos.

11. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    i played these early on. they might be fun, depending on what kind of music you like...

ccr - fortunate son
    alice in chains - swing on this
    fugazi - waiting room
    neil young - cortez the killer
    nirvana - where did you sleep last night (or something)
    nirvana - come as you are
    modest mouse - dramamine
    parliament - flash light (the main riff at least)

12. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Can you read music? If not get lessons, that should help you improve on your bass playing:) If you can, sorry for the preveious comment.

13. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    You could have said what kind of music you like. I would recommend anything by Jimi Hendrix, Cream (or Clapton) and CCR. They are quite basic but still good stuff. Plus you will easily find a guitarist who knows the tunes and you two can play together.

Level 42 has good (from bass point of view) songs for more advanced players as well as Toto (I'm going to see them live next week), Rush. Then anything by Jaco, Marcus Miller, Anthony Jackson, etc...

Keep your ears open. There is lots of good music around you and pop music is not too hard to learn.

14. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I've been working on those for over ten years now...

...no, I still can't play them.

How about "Got a Match?" by Chick Corea Electrik Band? ;)

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Personally, I think, if you really want to become a good bassist, you shouldn't worry about playing songs, but work on technique, theory, staminia, line construction ect.

There's a difference between knowing a bunch of songs, and actually knowing how to play.

Of course, that's just my humble opinion. :)

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    LiquidMidnight
    i must agree with your statement- however, i remember- learning songs was a very crucial part of my learning experience- not that i dont learn everyday- learning song gives insight into what bassists are doing- i think its helpful at any rate. but yes, only my humble opinion-

17. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    May I add: To become a good bassist one should work on technique, theory etc. BUT to become a good musician as well one must listen to and learn how to play all kinds of music. Again, IMO.