The lowest, tighest "B"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Urbs, Mar 7, 2004.

1. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    I have a fiver and let me tell you , the B sucks.

And since many oare in the market for Fivers (same :smug: ) this thread could be used for people to post some opinions on the best balls to the wall B string bass.

From what I hear and gather compaines like Modulus, MTD and other higher end brands out there have the best B's. Any others that are cheaper or destroy the competition?
  2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    dingwalls have some of the nicest low end strings ive ever played, you can slap the B like nuts and it still sings.
  3. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I own Fodera, MTD, Sadowsky, and Elrick 5's.

The Sadowsky kills them all in the low B dept. (and it's 34" scale).
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That I've played:

Lowest: Roscoe
    Tightest: FBB

In the speculatory (it's a word now!) department, Dingwall. 37" B string's gotta be worth something...
  5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Best one I have ever played is on a Roscoe.
  6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Keep in mind that different makers basses aren't all equal. So one (brand x) could have a great feeling and sounding B while the next (brand x) might not be as hot. I've played basses from brands with fantastic B's, including Fodera, MTD, F bass, Roscoe and others. Just try different things out.
  7. I'll second the FBB low B.

Next, in my opinion, is dingwall, followed by roscoe.
  8. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Best B I ever played was on a Pedulla Rapture 5 I once owned. I haven't found a better since and I've tried/owned many.
  9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

That's a shock. The B on the Rapture 5 that I played yesterday wasn't even as good as the B on my MIM Fender Jazz 5.

Guess it depends who's playing. Of course, quality control could suck too.
  10. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The best I've ever played are on my 34" scale Alembic and a 35" scale Fodera I played at Huber & Breese. But then given the price tags on them, they'd better be good.

In the affordable (under $2K) category, I played a Roscoe that was really nice. I also found Lakland Skyline basses have really tight B strings.

11. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Also in the modest price range with terrific B strings: Peavey Cirrus and Millennium (USA).
  12. Modulus Quantum 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Status Stealth II

Vigier Passion V
  14. James G. Ellis

James G. Ellis

Jun 22, 2001
    Lakland and Modulus have the best I have played. I tried Fodera and Roscoe as well and simply preferred the B's of the Lakland and Modulus.
    The Pedullas I have tried have a remarkable B as well.
    Moderately priced with good B: Peavey Cirrus, Fender Roscoe Beck, Music Man StingRay 5.
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've played some basses with nice B's with little else going for them as far as I'm concerned.

So I'll list the best B's on the basses I dig.

My favorites, in no order, would be my Brubakers, especially my Ash singlecut K5B Custom, either of my Elrick fretlesses (semihollow NJS and SC5)or the Platinum Hybrid which has a killer hi-fi B, my Fodera AJ Contrabass 6, my Stambaugh fretless 5, my Bone Avatar and my 1984 34" Tobias omega 5.

All of my B's are nice, some are extra primo good;)
  16. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Modulus and Roscoe. Funny thing is, the Roscoe that I really liked the B on was a 34" which sort of shot the whole good B string must be 35" thing in the butt.
  17. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Strings and setup can make a huge difference in perceived tightness too...
  18. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ahh.... you don't need 5 anyway, harumph
  19. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    I just got my Hanewinckel 5 string 34" scale. It has the lowest and tightest B string I have ever come across and it has the ability to go even lower!! But I play a little harder than it will go that low you need a very light touch. I have played, Fodera, Pedulla, Alembic, Smith, warwick and a few others that aren't as high end and in my opinion, which is totally personal..this B string was the best..and you can hear every not clearly all the way down to open B..Articulate, tight, and compeltely gorgeous..But this is all subjective and others may have differing opinions.