Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Lows on My Stingray are horrid...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lazlo Panaflex, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    When ever i play the low E string on my stingray it seriously sounds like there is a blanket over it. Every other string sounds fantastic... Is this a setup issue?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Does this affect all the notes on the E string? If so, it could be a setup problem but could also be due to a dodgy string. Has it ever sounded good or has the instrument always sounded this way?

Wulf

3. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    First I would replace the battery, for some reason the lows start sounding poopy before the other strings when the battery dies.
    If that aint it then buy some new strings.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    It could be a dead string, some are bad out of the box, and sometimes the E string gets the most use for some people, so it dies first from finger grease.

Change the strings to find out for sure. One thing to look out for is to keep the string from twisting when you bring it up to tension. I used to see that frequently with my students back when I tought, and the string wouldn't ring properly when its got spiral tension on it.

After you install the string and tune up, back off the tension of that string until the ball end can rotate, and be sure it falls into its natural position before you re-tension the string.

5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Check out the muting rubbers under the bridge! Maybe the one for the E string is a little raised. Good idea also to keep strings from being twisted (this takes all the brightness away fast) and also, when installing each string tear it hard for a while in order for it to accomodate to tension (this also helps stabilize tuning -I can use the bass for days without tuning it this way-). Good luck!

ANDRUCA

6. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Could be a setup issue. Have you changed string gauges lately? It may be caused by the string not having enough room to move in the nut, therefore being "choked" sounding, or not sitting fully in the saddle at the bridge. Both situations will cause similar sounding results - a dampened sound. I know this all too well from experience with 2 Ken Smith basses I used to own. Ken Smith's little proprietary trick is to size the nuts and bridge saddles only to fit the Ken Smith brand of strings in order to lock Ken Smith users into only buying his brand of strings. That kind of stuff p*sses me off, one of the reasons why I sold both of them. Sorry, I've digressed here. Long story short, any other brand of string would result in the "B" and "E" string sounding just like you said - like a blanket was laying on them. If I used a set of Ken Smith strings, suddenly and miraculously, the brilliance returned to the "B" and "E" strings. I had to have the nut cut a little differently and the B & E bridge saddles widened in the groove before other brands of strings would sound brilliant on the "B" and "E". I would recommend taking the bass into a shop and letting the pros do the work. But, I sincerely believe your frustrating problem is setup related and should be a simple fix.

Hope this helps.

Rock on.

7. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    If the strings are factory then it's normal to have a dead E string. Ernie Ball Slinkys are some of the worst bass strings money can buy.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I really, REALLY disagree with this opinion.

9. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    +1

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    +2

11. I wouldn't say they're the worst, but I HATE the damn things. :)