Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Lull M5V.. difference in sounds with Fralins and SD Basslines?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De Teng, Sep 12, 2004.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Yeah guys... I'm havin' GAS for the Lull (red one) M5V over here and I was thinking if you guys have some experience with the different pickups on this bass.

It can be made with a Barto preamp, SD Bassline pickups...or an Aguilar OBP-3 and Lindy Fralin.

What do you like most and why?

Thanks in advance!

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've owned two Lull's, one with Fralins, and the other w/ Basslines, both w/ Bart 3-bands, and the one w/ the Basslines is substantially brighter than the one w/ Fralins. I prefer the Fralins over the Basslines because they don't have as harsh a top end.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Was wondering the same thing. I've got a single Fralin bridge pup and a Duncan hotstack (mostly played with an SD hot P neck). Rough comparing a single J pup and it's been a while since I played the hotstack. But I remember fighting the top end on the Ducans paired. The Fralin struck me a thinner, clear Fender-like J tone. There were times in playing it that it made me think of the hotstack. I suspect a pair of Fralins similar to the one I've got would work well together but not be of much by themselves.

The NTMB (with the 3 position mid switch) struck me as a more balanced preamp, clearer, and more useful on the top end. The OBP-3 (using variable mid option) was good too, more bottom heavy, vintage flavor to it, and not of much use with upper mids and top end. More control with the variable mid but probably too much so and more hassle than it's worth.

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would highly suggest the Fralins with the Aguilar 2 band, not the 3 band. The 2 band is great, especially with jazz pickups, but the 3 band will just accentuate the high end and sound brittle. Not a fan of the 3 band. I don't think that you'll miss the mid knob with the Fralins.

5. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Perhaps I forgot to mention that I recently played a M5V, equipped with a ODB-3 and Fralins. I found myself not perfectly comfortable with the Fralins, because the sound is a bit wetty...or more Marcus-like.

Perhaps the Basslines could give a more dry sound or am I just totally wrong?

6. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I've had two M5's and two M5V's (one of which I have now). They all had the Bart 3-band preamp. Three had the Basslines, and one of the M5's had Aero's (stock).

I've really enjoyed them all, but the M5 with Aeros was definitely the best. I haven't played one with Fralins.

If I keep the M5V, I'm seriously thinking about getting some Aeros for it.